'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just want to give a quick shoutout to my fellow Tone Poet friends. If a fan of Bill Evans (sorry for my misspelling upthread of the title) but "the RSD of "Behind The Dikes" is absolutely incredible sounding!!! Easily one of the best sounding of the RSD releases from him, and it might even be the best. Besides the amazing Mr. Evans, Eddie Gomez just smokes big time! Even if you have to pay around $125 now for this (think One Step $125) I would not hesitate in the least, WOW!

3 LP set, trifold cover and really nice booklet...This is a prime example why I won't give up on RSD.

bjlefebvre, Ronnieb, Dmann201 and 8 others like this.
  2. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

Speaking of this I just saw a post on Instagram from monster music in south Carolina and they still had copies left along with a few other jazz titles from RSD.

scotti likes this.
  3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Not that I had a chance to buy it but $77 seemed a little steep; $125 certainly is, although there is one on Discogs for $90. This is one situation where I’m happy to purchase the cd. I just read a review of the Roy Hargrove and Mulgrew Miller and in this case I’m sorry I missed out on the LP.

Here’s the review. A great article, by the way.

Roy Hargrove and Mulgrew Miller’s Glorious Duets

mikemoon, mktracy and scotti like this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I think you will find that the current trend for colour/splatter discs is a pain in the a** for record plants - as they have to strip down and clean everything when the colour changes. 12 discs in black is a dream for them.

CBackley likes this.
  5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I was lingering on the 2CD on Amazon, however it was £26 which seemed a little steep....now it's jumped up to £35.

6. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

When did you last order yours? Its two loud pops on track 1 of side B. They fixed this issue. I got a second pressing (at least i think I did) and the defect is gone.

Biff Jones and GentleSenator like this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this is correct. joe identified the issue and it was repressed. my replacement copy is perfect.

Swann36, Biff Jones and this_machine like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Totally understand. But could I ask you a question, have you gotten some of the One Steps? Not comparing this sound quality with those, but this is on par with the Tone Poets and the Acoustic Sound Series releases. There is absolutely no way you will experience this on CD like you would from the vinyl version. This is truly a special RSD release. So what I'm trying to say is, a 3 LP set, with a nice booklet and trifold cover, I'm curious what this will fetch in around a year from now. Mayme I'm just too much of a fan and I'm over reacting a bit, but my ears tell me differently.

mktracy, garrincha and Crazysteve like this.
  9. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Quite a while ago but if I order through Amazon, what’s to say I’ll just get another defective copy that’s been sitting in their warehouse for months. Yes, I know I can return it yet again but I’m not keen on constantly returning things.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up an original BN after handling TPs for the last few years and forgot they aren't a gatefold?

Asking for a friend....

roverb, chris8519 and Greenalishi like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Did you, er, your friend try to pull open at the jacket opening and create your own custom sleeve?

12. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I bet Blue Note could make money just printing TP-style jackets for all their releases. I play TPs more than others because I like the jackets.

chris8519 likes this.
  13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’d buy TP style jackets for all the BN80 and Classics series too. Let them double dip! I’ll happily oblige.

14. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Unpopular opinion here but I hate gatefolds for single LPs. Takes up a lot of space. I like the Sam Records style for singles.

IanL, Aegir, JerryTurcotte and 12 others like this.
  15. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I wouldn't say I hate the TP jackets or anything but I do quite like that I can fit about 3 or 4 Sam Records releases in the same space a TP takes up (or an Acoustic Sounds Verve/Impulse release). I prefer the thinner style mainly because I have limited record shelving and am constantly reorganizing and removing titles I don't listen to in order to make space for my new purchases.

16. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

All Monster Music has left is the cd now

17. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

That's fair.

Pushpaw likes this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I returned about 2-3 copies before I got a "good" one.

19. I would trade 90%+ of my gatefold Tone Poet jackets for a high quality single pocket jacket. The gatefold were great for the MMJ 45s but completely unnecessary for a 33. They could put the pictures on a high quality insert, which would have the added bonus of being able to be framed.

Not to mention a gatefold could be made about half as thick as the Stoughton spines. They are thicker than my old trifold 3 LP albums. I don’t get the infatuation with them at all if I’m being honest.

20. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Ha, no. It’s kind of inter sting hold him next to each other and sort of expecting the original to have a gatefold. I like the gatefold but I get where people are coming from. I’m more annoyed with the BN80 and Classics cheap-o jackets. A nice Stoughton jacket would have made that series unbeatable. If Rhino can do it for $20, so could BN. I would sacrifice 30 grams for a better jacket.

JerryTurcotte and indyalden like this.
  21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Single pockets would be great and then they can charge $20-22 for it and my shelves would love me

this_machine and bruinuclafan like this.
  22. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

I just finished my third spin of Katanga!. Sonically, is this the best sounding tone poet to date? I'm blown away.

23. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Hmmm interesting... I am particularly dissapointed that the upcoming McCoy Tyner Expansions is going to be a non-gatefold. I always get excited about the "event" of the gatefold with the photos. That being said, for some, the media itself is of utmost importance and I completely understand that.

day1953 and bruinuclafan like this.
  24. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

There are some Blue Note originals that were gatefolds, even for a single LP. Speak Like a Child comes to mind. Impulse! made an art of using gatefolds for their Single LPs. Beautiful stuff.

mktracy, BreakBeat DJ and Biff Jones like this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Speak Like A Child was originally a triple gatefold, to my understanding, something that MM did not choose to recreate with its reissue. MM used their standard gatefold.