George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. I don't imagine that it qualifies as a lecture with just two sentences, but it's okay. It seems like (but I can't be certain) that you're getting bent, so let's just drop this, you and I, and carry on about another topic at a later time. Cool? :)

It's not that important to me since I've been waiting for reports before I spent my money.

2. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Yep. SHF “experts” trying to suck the life out of something before most can listen to it. Predictable.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I kinda think both sides of the “let’s/let’s not discuss this before release” factions have a valid point.

4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Not surprised but still holding slight hope that the Blu-ray version will be less compressed. I think Apple’s recent strategy to put the more compressed mixes on digital/CD and less compressed ones on vinyl/Blu-ray has been a good compromise to satisfy everyone. Well to be fair, it was the McCartney reissues that started it with unlimited hires downloads on the SDE.

But somehow it wasn’t embraced by the Lennon estate on their recent reissues and with Paul Hicks steering the ship here as well, I am not feeling too optimistic about it here. Guess we’ll know soon enough…

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  5. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

PERFECTLY STATED! :righton:

6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I love it, just George on acoustic running through the song. If the bonus stuff here is any example of what's in the vault, I want more!!!

Wingsfan2012, jricc, supermd and 7 others like this.
  7. I don't know who these experts are, but if the life appears to be sucked out of recording before the listening begins, if it quacks like a duck...

You're right. What's trippy, though, is that people will come in all calm and be like, "Damn, it appears that this release is yet another victim of poor mastering." Meanwhile, the other "side" is essentially going, "Stop that! Don't talk about SQ! You're cramping my high!"

But the divisiveness really isn't between the people who love music and enjoy discussing it. It's the failure of the industry to produce a product that caters to the entire fanbase.

We know that 100% of the people will not be happy 100% of the time, yet there is grounds - especially in 2021, when the streaming services are putting a cap on how loud they will play the music - for the industry to correct themselves for physical products, for as long as spinning discs remain.

Simply put (and I've wrote this before), before buying any product, whether it's a car, or a television, hemorrhoid cream, or a CD of music, it's up to each individual consumer to educate themselves, or not, on what they're buying and what's the value. There is no right or wrong answer, but like consumer reports, the SHF is a good spot to do one's homework before venturing into a music purchase. Nobody needs to get up in arms about anything if one catalytic converter handles emissions better than another. That's just the way it is. :)

8. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Honestly, I don’t care about the actual CDs in this set. I only care about the Blu-ray (hi res) and vinyl. The CD versions are almost always compressed in comparison. I don’t know why at this point we still act all surprised and appalled with it. I know some don’t want to let CD go but if you want good sound quality you almost have to let it go at this point.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You'll have to pry my CDs from my cold dead fingers. :)

10. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Yes, compare this release to a version almost all of us have never could have heard, never have heard, and never will hear. That comparison is virtually useless.

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Thankfully, August 6th it's out and give or take a few days everyone that has ordered it should have it. And then we'll be on the precipice of what's next........:hide:

12. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

So then . . . CD digital music can leave one feeling cold and dead! ;)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

All this. As long as the Blu-Ray stereo is uncompressed, I can just rip that and call it a day.

Either way, I’m anticipating this release. Anyone who’s followed me from the Tom Petty Angel Dream thread knows that I’ve been going through a rough time lately, and this album seems to have perfect timing.

EVOLVIST, crossroads69 and longdist01 like this.
  14. ssmith3046

Good one!

Sargon likes this.
  15. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I haven't read that thread but I really hope things start to turn around for you. :agree:

16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Wah Wah is supposed to be a compressed mess, I'd like to see other wave forms from some of the other tracks.

oboogie, Sean Murdock, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  17. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I think you meant kHz and not kbps. Because 48 kbps audio would sound absolutely awful. :laugh:

Floater, OobuJoobu and longdist01 like this.
  18. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Me too, mate, me too. George’s music has always had a healing effect on me. I went through a similar depression around seven years ago, and the Apple Years box set helped a lot. Yes, I like several songs on Dark Horse for the sole fact that they did their best to pull me out of a funk.

bhazen, marklamb, Mazzy and 6 others like this.
  19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

take all these opinions with a grain of salt.
    Some people complain if they get hung with a new rope.

forthlin, DK Pete and Fabsmith like this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am looking forward to hearing Take 1 on the outtakes disc! George spoke about how great it sounded in the studio (before the reverb was applied) and hopefully that’s what we’re getting on CD5.

21. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey! Tommy, I’m no fanboy! :cheers:

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have come to rely on the opinions of some of you. My old Japanese CP28 fatboy is perfectly adequate. I would be thrilled if the sound of this new one is better, but I m just as interested in the outtakes/alts. I had settled in on the three CD set. The BR has to be dazzling for me to purchase. Between Lee Morgan, Dead St.Louis, Joni, etc, that is a lot of $. So I personally appreciate the reviews.

Does this mean you have heard them?

23. ssmith3046

No, I haven't heard the new ATMP CDs. I was responding to a post about letting CDs go in general because of their sound quality. I'm 68 so I grew up playing records. I love records but I sold my record collection a few years ago before a move out of state. Records are heavy and pain to move if you're 68. I'm perfectly happy with CDs and SACDs now just in case I decide to move again. I still have three turntables just in case though.

forthlin likes this.
  24. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Uber arrived today took 2 of us to get it inside. i don't know how its getting in the basement. Ahoy mateys its a treasure chest:bdance:

25. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Ha!
    Yes, of course I did. Thanks!

DK Pete and snkcube like this.