Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I started going to Mystery Train records in 2018 and would combine a trip to the ocean with a visit. I haven't been since all the lockdowns started. I have always had very mixed feelings about them. They do have a very large selection, but they tend to be lower cost records not in the best of shape. They are usually priced fairly for what they are, but I wish they had more records of better quality. Each time I went, I found several placeholder LPs which I wanted but I wanted better copies. I end up doing needle drops with my Sugar Cube and play the digital files until I find a better copy.

Maurice, cut-out and uzn007 like this.
  2. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Yep that's my take as well. I've seen them selling at a couple of local record fairs and they bring nicer, higher priced items.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Is your friend Peter the same one that was in the Lyres & Barrence Whitfield & the Savages?

Speaking of Barrence Whitfield & Mystery Train, we take a little trip to Gloucester every few weeks or so to Mystery Train. It's my second favorite record store after the Record Exchange. I found lots of great CDs & DVDs over the years & I get half decent offers for stuff that I trade in. I have noticed that they are selling new copies of reissued vinyl lately. I highly recommend it, as well as the Record Exchange, if you're north of Boston.

Maurice and uzn007 like this.
  4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Sorry about your experience at The Music Connection. I've always had good luck with them even though the owner I was more familiar with was an elderly man who I believe past away a few years ago. I did actually order from their Discogs last year and the new owner actually met me in Keene rather than have me drive to Manchester to pick up my order.

Ever go to Pitchfork Records in your neck of the woods? The owner there is...well, not the most patient guy in the world either.

5. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Pitchfork dude is abrasive BUT can be nice if on the right day. There used to be another older gentleman that worked there/owned it that was the complete opposite but I'm not sure what happened to him.

6. DevilDJMc

DevilDJMc Active Member

7. DevilDJMc

DevilDJMc Active Member

I have gone there but had generally avoid buying from him for reasons that would be more defamatory than "patience" :) I had been in there shortly after I moved to the area 5 years ago and saw his direct some real unpleasantness towards a customer in the store. Really tuned me off.

I was getting dinner in sushi bar a month later and sitting by myself at the bar. By chance he came in with a much younger woman and they sat down one stool over from me. There was no way not to overhear his conversation and the contents of it only further cemented my negative feelings.

Although having been there again a couple of times over the last 9 months while avoiding it the previous 4 years I've seen him exhibit what appeared to be some genuine kindness towards some of the severely disabled local residents. It at least lead me to believe there may be a pre-Xmas Grinch heart beating inside what I suspected might be a soul-less chest cavity. And to boot he isn't Discog-ing the s*** out of his pricing.

8. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

I've had some luck at Fidelis in Nashua.
    I don't think their stock gets replenished all that often, but the records I've purchased there are generally in pretty good condition.
    No issues with the people who work there -- they seem pleasant enough.

9. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I thought they were just a higher end hifi store. How many records would you say they have? You seemed to be referring to used records, do they carry any new LPs or any high quality lines like MoFi.

roverb likes this.
  10. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

it's difficult for me to estimate the size of their inventory, but i'd say it's 'modest'
    I have seen new records there from time to time, but I think the majority of their stock is pre-owned.
    I believe I've seen some MoFi records in the bins
    the link I posted shows the inside of the store--i'm pretty sure their selection has expanded a bit since that picture was taken
    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...hUKEwjp84TU-IDyAhUDMlkFHQP_C1MQoiowFnoECEsQAw

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Good to know, as I’ve always thought of them as a high end store as well. Audio Video Therapy, also in Nashua, has a small selection of new MoFi records, but I wouldn’t think to go there for a vinyl run although they’re otherwise wonderful to deal with.

roverb likes this.
  12. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i was going to mention that, but last time i was there --pre pandemic-- they had a single bin with maybe 20 records
    agreed though: awesome store & people

cdash99 likes this.
  13. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Connecticut, Central Shore:

Dexter’s, East Hampton
    Exile on Main Street, Branford
    Merle’s Record Rack, Milford
    Red Scroll Records, Wallingford
    Replay Records, Hamden

Dexter’s: Pub with small used section. Didn’t find anything.
    I walked out with three bomber bottles of Fat Orange Cat.

Exile: To visit. Good website with artist search, they seem
    to have their act together. A Run Out Groove partner.

Merle’s: Typical mall fare. CT Post Mall. Haven’t been in years.

Red Scroll: Recently moved to larger quarters a stone’s throw
    from The Oakdale Theatre, same side of road. Sits in one of
    those ugly cinderblock garage-type properties that house a lot
    of tractor and earth mover shops. Next to a battery business.
    Sign out front small and you may miss it.

Inside, lots of used but decent selection of new vinyl. Most stock
    categorized but used CDs are not. Maybe in time. A Run Out Groove
    partner but have not verified. TONS of “Hardcore” and “Weirdo”,
    whatever that means. Used 45s. Good soundtrack selection with a
    leaning on Horror. Some Jazz and Funk. Afrobeat. Got a Coltrane
    here last year. Good selection of oldies. Used cassettes. Some gear.

“Red Scroll” just a random name they picked. Usually play metal.

Prices seem typical. Around $24 for a 180g release.

Worth a look.

Replay: To visit. Open hours don’t match website. Best bet is Thurs
    thru Sat. Seems small but they carry new and used.

Off Exit 61/62 of The Wilbur Cross Pkwy. Near Rt 10 intersection;
    slightly North on left side.

Hep Alien, zphage and uzn007 like this.
  14. PB with J

PB with J Forum Resident

Wow - I've done well in both places (Music Connection and Pitchfork). I'd heard that the guy at Pitchfork could be rude, but he's always been nice to me and let me look at a bunch of stuff that had come in but hadn't been priced. I've done well at Music Connection, too. I have seen him be rude to a couple of other customers, but he's been nice to me. I recently bought the Mosaic Curtis Fuller Boxed set. Been thinking about going back and seeing if he had any of those Mosaic CD sets left.

15. DevilDJMc

DevilDJMc Active Member

I went to a thrift/consignment store in Tilton NH yesterday that might be worth a look for local vinyl lovers. I bought quite a few used CDs but in the back of the store was a separate section with a few bins of used albums as well as used stereo equipment . Looked like they were decently curated. I can't speak to the pricing or the quality but it's off the radar so there could be gold in them hills. To boot the proprietor was very nice.

roverb likes this.
  16. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

did you happen to notice what the majority genre of the records? .. rock, classical, jazz etc ?

17. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

18. Jtm1967

Jtm1967 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.. I have been to the music connection in Manchester NH probably over 100 times and never had a bad experience? The owner is always super helpful too. They also have one of the best selections of vinyl in New England along with CDs, tapes & gear. Some other shops I recommend are the vinyl vault in Littleton MA (owner, his son & selection are fantastic), welfare records in Haverhill MA and the Norwood newbury.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    roverb and uzn007 like this.
  19. DevilDJMc

DevilDJMc Active Member

20. DevilDJMc

DevilDJMc Active Member

Rock

roverb likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The owner is Bobby Valentine’s cousin. Nice guy.

ARK likes this.
  22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

No, the one who was in Mission of Burma and Volcano Suns. I recommend his new band Minibeast as well.

Record Exchange and Mystery Train are both great, but my favorite store north of the city will always be Welfare.

roverb likes this.
  23. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I had a job that took me out to Haverhill once every week or two for site meetings. I used to love it when the meetings ran long meaning Welfare was open when I was passing by them on my way home. I always found LPs I had never seen elsewhere or just didn't know even existed. I never left there empty handed.

It interesting how record stores each have their own personalities and you learn what to look for in every one. You know the type of thing you will find (or never find) in each store. You can focus your choice of store to what you are craving the most at that time.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  24. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

Welfare has a decent jazz section, which seems to be uncommon outside of large urban areas.

Jim0830 likes this.
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Apropos of nothing, I took a look at the 97 cent CD section in Bull Moose yesterday, and it seemed that I presently or once own(ed) a third of the titles. Depressing in a way.

Lots of Sting, Chris Isaak, and others of that era. Similar to seeing the Andy Williams et al of my parent’s generation in the 50 cent bins back in the day.

uzn007 likes this.