Poll: Black Flag

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TAF8184, Jul 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got into Black Flag after getting into Husker Du and the Minutemen and decided to take a chance on them. Loved the pink stuff, took a bit to like their later stuff but I eventually did. Love the early singles and Damaged best but a later favorite was always Loose Nut. The songs are catchy! Live '84 is a great album. I like the slower songs better here than on My War. Always liked Who's Got The 10 & 1/2 also. Possibly my favorite song is on the TV Party EP: I've Got To Run.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Comaboy and testingcan like this.
  2. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

Wait this isn't a thread about the Beatles...

More serious, I know that "Slip it in" is not that highly regarded, but it was my first record of them, so I'm always partial to it.

Edit: Also, no option for "What The..."? I wonder why...

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Damaged

Comaboy and versionsound like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Lost interest in the band later but "Damaged" is a total masterpiece! Essential!! :wantsome:

Comaboy and JuanTCB like this.
  5. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

Anything with Rollins.

Comaboy and ghoulsurgery like this.
  6. TAF8184

Just keeping it to their original discography. I never heard What The... but reading about it seemed like enough. Anyone feel free to comment on that one.

Comaboy likes this.
  7. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be - which isn’t to say it’s very good, either.

Comaboy and Neonbeam like this.
  8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I voted for the first 2 EPs, My War, and Live 84. The early punk stuff is essential. I actually don’t go back to Damaged very often because I feel like Rollins was more suited for the heavier/sludgier songs. If I want the more punk rock version of Black Flag, I go to the early EPs. My War is my favorite overall LP, though. It’s just brutal and noisy and unrelenting on the A side and then a whole different kind of assault on the B side. Live 84 is a great document of those later years too. The energy on it is unreal. The 82 Demos are also pretty crucial.

Sear and JuanTCB like this.
  9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

The First Four Years
    [​IMG]

10. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

Black Flag’s first three EPs have sustained me for two thirds of my life and still give me a rush when I hear them, particularly ‘Nervous Breakdown’.

I’m - going - to - explode... !!!

11. TAF8184

Just discovered this. Never knew about it. The last four songs are just studio versions not on this release. An expanded First Four Years could include this, the TV Party EP & the three songs from The Decline Of Western Civilization.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The 4 EP's listed, the "Louie Louie" 45, Damaged, My War, In My Head.

13. TAF8184

I'm surprised Family Man has more votes than Loose Nut.

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Nothing beats the early EPs and Damaged. After that they were still good, but no longer brilliant.

15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The 1982 demos are absolutely great

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  16. TAF8184

I like the My War songs better on the 1982 demos. Wish they had recorded that album as a five piece.

Sear and ghoulsurgery like this.
  17. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

pretty much all of it, but the pre Rollin's era is easily my favorite stuff, hands down!

18. TAF8184

Rollins holds the same opinion according to his book Get In The Van.

BlueTrane and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Henry is a really smart man. Love that guy!!!

His era is great too though of course and i love and own all of his solo music as well.

But something about the very early stuff about Black Flag.....

Everything Went Black and The First Four Years get the most play from me.

Although "Black Coffee" is a top favorite song of theirs for me, which is of course sang by Henry.

heck i even like "What The..."

got all my cd's signed by Greg himself when i saw his newer version of Black Flag in concert.
    It was a great show and they did not disappoint at all !

20. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Everything Went Black/all of the pre-Rollins material

Process of Weeding Out is really fascinating. What a bold move.

thefxc likes this.
  21. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

Why, yes, I am also currently reading “Our Band Could Be Your Life.”

22. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

I basically picked the first half of that list (everything up to the TV Party EP). I love all that stuff. I’d say that Jealous Again is the weakest of those. Dez is my favorite (BF) singer, so I’m particularly partial to the Six Pack EP (b-sides especially) and his stuff on EWB. My War was one of the biggest disappointments of my young life. I did buy the Live ‘84 cassette (and the live versions are better than the studio versions, IMO), but I was done after that. I’ve heard all the later stuff since, but never owned any of it. I just did not like Henry’s vocals after he stopped aping Dez. Early Rollins Band, was actually better than late BF, IMO. He got back to screaming again on those records, instead of trying to sing or doing that speak/sing thing, which I really didn’t like.

Black Cat Surfboards likes this.
  23. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

Love Rollins but I agree with others... FIRST FOUR YEARS!

Beamish13 likes this.
  24. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

As much as everyone associates Greg Ginn and Henry with Black Flag's greatness....I always felt like there's more than a little to to be made of the fact the ALL Black Flag involving Chuck Dukowski and Dez Cadena is killer, and Greg and Henry played on a LOT of subpar Black Flag material. Greg is a badass and Henry is as well....but Chuck and Dez had the fire.

Sear, Beamish13, ghoulsurgery and 2 others like this.
  25. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

I used to a say that I was a fan of everything with Chuck, but then I heard more live stuff from ‘82 and ‘83 and the ‘82 demos and realized that they were on the down swing even before Chuck left. It certainly didn’t help, though. Of course, anyone’s relationship with this stuff is going to be heavily influenced by what they heard and when. I know lots of people who heard the later stuff first, so that WAS Black Flag for them. For me, it’s the opposite. The spirit of the Black Flag that I love died on record after the TV Party EP and live sometime in late ‘82. Basically, when Henry developed his own style as the singer for Black Flag, that was the end for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.