George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Perhaps more accurate to say the mastering for the cd appears to have a lot of compression

2. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Instead of the sky is falling posts with sound quality, either post the sound quality of all mediums or quit wasting our time. We knew the CDs were probably going to be this way, especially the remixed tracks. Tell us about what matters, the Blu-ray and the vinyl.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I do NOT think Dhani mentioned anything. But Rolling Stone magazine "hinted" at it on their own.
    The article says: "Next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the Concert for Bangladesh, followed in 2023 by the five-decade mark of Living in the Material World. Each of those projects could be accorded expanded editions, although the specifics aren’t worked out." So there is no direct quote (that I could find) from Dhani or Olivia.

jeremylr, Floater, ronbow and 6 others like this.
  4. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

longdist01 and Arnold Grove like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

longdist01, dormouse and Fabsmith like this.
  6. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Maybe wishful thinking on my part. But deluxe boxes for both make too much sense for those not to “materialize” (sorry, lol)! Then again, we could be in for another long wait!

7. Arnold Grove

Yeah, 2 deluxe sets from George next year is certainly too much to expect. Let's hope for another deluxe set --- any album --- whenever...

8. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

At least we know about Sometime in NYC for 2022. Kinda interested in what can be done with that muddy mess!

Lewisboogie and Sargon like this.
  9. I'm a bit p***ed some folks overseas are getting their copies a full 2 weeks before us poor UK folk. What gives?

FJFP and Sargon like this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

But first, the patina of the wooden crate. Has it been properly oiled and waxed?

Sargon, Fabsmith and Sean Murdock like this.
  11. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Dhani mentioned the Dark Ho(A)rse Tour in that interview.
    Which is quite an Holy Grail to many fans, included myself.

Elliottmarx, longdist01 and Fabsmith like this.
  12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

And compared to ATMP, LITMW should be a relatively simple box set to do and should theoretically be out in time for the anniversary in 2023.

We can even make a pretty good prediction of what will be included as we already have alternate versions for all the songs and a few demos.

13. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Only those from one vendor. I live in the US but have to wait like you. I ordered from GH.com.

audiotom, Sargon and mrjinks like this.
  14. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I’m down for that, but they better not do $1,000 crates again!

BungalowBill, marklamb and Haristar like this.
  15. I saw two of the shows and they were so memorable since it was the first Beatle I saw live. However after one listen, I’d probably never listen to those shows again. Too bad really.

However at the time I actually taped one on a small cassette recorder and listened to the recording a lot for about a month afterwards.

A Bangladesh anniversary set is higher in my wish list.

16. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I'd really like to watch an official film of the '74 concerts, since many shows were professionally recorded by Dark Horse and have been sitting on a dusty shelf since then.

Certainly Bangladesh is a big show and it deserves a Blu Ray release, but the 1974 tapes are officially unreleased so that would be an opportunity to get plenty of "new" George stuff, a-la Get Back movie.

17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I have ripped the blu-ray, and there are four audio tracks:

1. Stereo 24-48
    2. Stereo 24-192
    3. 5.1 24-192
    4. 7.1 24-48

The wave forms show the two stereo tracks as the same, using "Wah-Wah" as @dmh84 had reported I saw the same wave form. The 5.1 track was less compressed, and the 7.1 even less compressed than that, I'd say pretty much full dynamic range.

The surround mixes utilize the back channels quite a bit, much more than, say, the recent Lennon boxes and the Stones Goat's Head Soup surround mixes.

Listening only to "Wah-Wah," I really enjoyed both stereo and multi channel. The 2 channel providing a big "wall of sound" the multi channel more like a big "room of sound." My findings again are similar to what @dmh84 reported, with the Atmos (even though I only have 5.1 capabilities) providing the most pleasing presentation.

As for the box, it's an amazing work of art, and I feel very privileged to be able to own it. If you sprung for it, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with it. A couple of things - I found by accident that the reproduction of the 2001 color album cover actually has several removable transparencies to show the "progress" of the infrastructure build. And there are several notebook pages stuck to Page 72 that look downright real!

Nit-picky stuff (wouldn't be the SHF without it) is the wrappings that the book and litho came in are really hard to open without damaging them (be careful!) and the Dark Horse sticker sealing them is very sticky, likely impossible to keep it near mint after opening it more than a few times. And as others have said, it's not numbered, other than the outside shipping carton.

I bought the set to enjoy it, and I think I will. And I haven't even got to the outtakes or the vinyl yet!

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Here's the 7.1 "Wah-Wah" wave form:

[​IMG]

19. Which vendor is releasing it early and how are they allowed to do that? It wouldn't be quite so annoying if we didn't have to suffer two weeks of negative reactions before expressing our own! :D

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Sargon and longdist01 like this.
  20. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

UDiscover

marklamb and SteveM like this.
  21. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Here's the 5.1 "Wah-Wah" wave form:

[​IMG]

22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So, you listen to 7.1 Atmos with a 5.1 system? I wonder if it folds the 2 Atmos channels into the rears of 5.1. I only have 5.1 as well.

23. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It’s what we don’t know about that is always the most exciting part. I just hope they don’t feel they have to go as extravagant with all the other deluxe sets as they did here. I get it ATMP is his biggest album so they were going to do something to reflect that, but a nice series of deluxe Harrison cd sets similar to whatever the 5cd/bluray box winds up looking like will be a nice companion to the McCartney archives and Lennon Ultimate boxes. But even more importantly they continue to keep all audio non exclusive to any format.

24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

So the question for me is, Can the 5.1 or 7.1 mixes be down-mixed to recreate the stereo mixes (but without the limiting)?

25. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I think a DVD/BluRay doc of the 74 tour would be very interesting and have a nice shelf life. I would watch it more than once. As for audio only, I agree with you. I also saw a show. Very memorable but disappointing.