eBay saved searches coming up over and over

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by bigmikerocks, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have any of you experienced this?

I have had a saved search for a couple of years for a certain item, and there is an item similar to it that is a buy it now item. That similar item comes up on my saved search at least once every other day, sometimes it will come up every single day.
    If you list an item, is there a premium you can pay to where the item will pop up on people’s saved searches? Or is this just an annoying glitch?

2. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

it's the eBay way...

3. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

You can refine your saved search by actively excluding some items provided that they have something in the title or the description which identifies them from the one you are looking for.
    For example if I am looking for a certain title, but I do not want a certain version to show up and I know the EAN code what I will enter into the search box is something like this ("Title I want") -(EanCodeToExclude).
    You exclude more things at once by separating them with a comma . So if I don't bother also with a particular year my search will look something like this
    ("Title I want") -(EanCodeToExclude,yearToexclude).
    I hope it helps.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  4. bigmikerocks

Yah I have all mine refined that way. Unfortunately that doesn’t help in these situations

5. SoNineties

If it's the same seller over and over, you can try
    - excluding some particular wording he uses in the listing provided that it doesn't interfere with your overall results.
    - Excluding the item number
    - Excluding the seller's name.

If the listing is too generic, like there is no ean code, no versioning, no year, not even what media it is (cd vs cassette vs lp etc) well I would just report the seller to ebay for ' inappropriate description' or 'website interference'.... in my language it actually sounds more like 'inadequate description', so doing so really sounds ... 'appropriate'- no pun intended!
    That would really be my last resort though.

6. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Ebay search is currently broken in some way.
    Some searches work most of the time.
    Can't get some to work as I want at all

7. bigmikerocks

It’s just a normal listing. This is the one that shows up in my saved searches every one or two days for the last couple of years.
    *Billy Joel 'I've Loved These Days' 45 rpm COLUMBIA Record Label Vinyl PROMO | eBay

8. SoNineties

I'd just do something like this

[​IMG]
    Include description to make sure you are searching through the whole description.
    The brackets ensure that you are excluding the whole exact text.

Depending on your initial search setup you might get some other unwanted results, but there is no better way to exclude something.
    If you are running your search with the 'include description' flag already activated that should work easily.
    In the opposite case you might want to experiment some more with the exact sentence to exclude and/or adding some more 'exclude' commands in reaction to what turns up.
    I am telling you in 10 years and more of tracking just a couple times I could not manage to exclude some lazy smart one's item from my results...

Cheers

9. bigmikerocks

Yes, I use that method in many of my searches. That’s not going to stop this listing from coming up every one to two days. My search is “billy Joel these days”. I don’t want to exclude anything in this case because I don’t want to miss anything that might cause a listing to not come up that might be the one I want, which in this case is a stock copy of that 45

10. SoNineties

can't have your cake and eat it i am afraid.
    cheers

11. bigmikerocks

Well my whole point of this post is asking if it’s an option to maybe pay more to have your listing show up in searches super often, or if it’s just a glitch with this particular listing.
    It’s absolutely not “having your cake”, eBay searches are supposed to work a certain way, and that means only showing up on new listings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.