George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Yes, but like you, I'm not sure exactly what it does with the 2 Atmos channels and I think it just folds them in.

Playing the Blu-Ray, I can switch the audio "on the fly" as it's playing, and I definitely hear a difference between the 5.1 and 7.1 mixes. For example, the guitar intro to "Wah-Wah" is mostly in the left rear speaker in the 7.1 mix, but moved more to the the left front speaker in the 5.1 mix.

marcb, formu_la, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  2. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I fully expect them to get Scorsese (who already has a relationship with them) or some other big name to make a non traditional documentary similar to Rolling Thunder Revue. I believe they even said something to that effect in the RS article. It would probably be easier to play off the negative aspects of the tour that way as opposed to a straight concert film (which is what I would prefer)

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

yes, that is quite true

marklamb likes this.
  4. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

If that ever came to pass the actual concert film prob would be a bonus disc. Just my two cents.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Definetly a much better visual experience than an audio only one, I agree. I would buy it in a second and enjoy it many times.

Fabsmith likes this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

When I downmix the 5.1 or 7.1 mixes to stereo (using my receiver) I find the center information (mostly vocals) ends up too high in the mix. Could be the way my receiver does the decoding, but it doesn't sound balanced to me.

BeatleJWOL, marcb and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

Isn't It A Pity (Take 14) is pretty amusing. Short, but amusing.

8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

How are the waveforms for the outtakes? We’ve seen with the Beatles’ deluxe that the remastered remixed album is much more compressed than the outtakes. Does that hold true here as well?

supermd likes this.
  9. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Yeah, that's certainly conceivable--wouldn't be too tough in Logic Pro, which I have. But, I don't yet know how to extract each track from a blu-ray. I have a blu-ray writer/reader--any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    But, hopefully the vinyl will make that all moot.
    Anyone spun the platters yet?

pet_soundsations likes this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That would be the ideal way to present the 1974 tour. I’d love that.

FJFP, marklamb and longdist01 like this.
  11. muenke

muenke Forum Resident

Any word about Awaiting on your all (Take 1)? This is the one I‘m looking really forward!

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The outtakes aren't on the Blu-Ray disc and I'm just getting to the CD's.

Here's the wave form for All Things Must Pass (Day 1 Demo).

[​IMG]

13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I've only spot checked it. It has 1 guitar, bass, drums, and a single track lead vocal. Very simple, with an "in the room" quality. I am loving this whole thing......

14. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Where are you guys hearing this is it out already ? Is there a link please ?

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No. It is only being heard by the people who have received their Uber crates 2 weeks early.

16. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I would have to imagine that this Uber crate wins a Grammy Award for packaging/art direction (whatever the category is actually called) next year -- what release could top this?

Sargon, marklamb and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It may not win a Grammy.

But I bet it wins a furniture award!: ;)

[​IMG]

18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

that looks pretty good to me. May be worth getting the 5cd just for the outtakes. Post a few more when you get a chance.

Sargon and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yeah, they got it so wrong on the 2010 release, didn't they?

20. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Waveforms from a couple extras:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It has been previously released on Early Takes Vol.1 and you can hear it on streaming services or possibly YouTube. It gets the “Plastic Ono Band” treatment with George on distorted guitar accompanied by Ringo & Klaus.

22. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

He's 83 so I'm inclined to cut him slack particularly since it's done from memory.

BungalowBill likes this.
  23. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Compressed, maybe; brickwalled, no.

supermd likes this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think the technical aspects of the drawing (faces, etc.) are fine, it’s the spatial representation that’s off. Looks like they’re on top of one another!

25. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That's what's so exciting about boxsets for his later albums. For ATMP, we knew about most of the outtakes already, and to a lesser extent LITMW, but for Dark Horse onwards, pretty much all we have are the odd stray demos that were included on the 2004 and 2014 reissues. There could potentially be lots of unheard demos for completely new songs that we have no idea even exist.