Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

All the previous Dexter threads appear to have been closed, so I thought I'd start up a new one for the 2021 revival. (Mods please merge if there's an existing thread I couldn't locate.)

As fans may recall, Dexter Morgan was a Miami based forensic analyst working for the local police department. While his damaged childhood pushed him in the direction of being a serial killer, his adopted father was able to push the boy into the direction where he only killed "people who deserved it," particularly violent criminals and serial killers who -- for various reasons -- somehow evaded the law.

The series ended in late 2013, after 8 seasons and 96 episodes, with the serial killer faking his death after his beloved sister died, and he moved to Alaska and became (somewhat incredibly) a lumberjack. Now, the show has returned as a limited series that apparently finds him running a hardware store in a rural Oregon town. Not much is known on the details, but producers have said that the characters of his dead sister Deb and also guest star John Lithgow (as the Trinity Killer) will make appearances, most likely as flashbacks or as ghosts.

The producers and starts promoted it yesterday at the "virtual" San Diego ComicCon, and it would seem they understand and acknowledge that both critics and fans were perplexed and disappointed by the original series finale 8 years ago. The hope is that this mini-series will wrap up the Dexter story in a more satisfying way. The series returns on November 7th on Showtime.

D-rock, It's Felix, Deuce66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

My F-I-L started reading the books, & recommended them to me. I think I read between 2 1/2-3, before the overly mannered & too precious writing style became too much. The premise was interesting to a point, but it all became too cutesy for my taste.

He also watched the show, something I've never done.

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Can't wait to see it. I am cautiously optimistic.

I noticed that trailer didn't use the classic Dexter music theme. I hope that, along the numerous scores that were used throughout the series during the episodes, are able to be used and are used.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The new series has brought back the original showrunners & producers of the first four seasons, so they're undoubtedly aware of the music and the other elements that made the show a hit early on.

mj_patrick likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

Oh, I am aware. :)

Just a little surprised that none of the numerous musical scores from the original show were used in the trailer. Just hearing one of them would have built more anticipation.

raye_penber likes this.
  6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I may have preferred if they created a new original series and worked Dexter into it somehow. Starting up the series because the last season sucked seems like a spectacularly bad reason to revisit it--not that I think there is ever a good reason. I understand people become fanatics of a show, movie or artist--guilty of it myself--but innovative concepts and inspiration about something new will win out over trying to recapture former glory every time.

7. I'm actually optimistic about this, as it's been so long ago, I no longer feel any weirdness over the ending. I remember that the story got very lazy, but this trailer looks sharp.

On the flip, they often put the best bits in the trailer. It makes sense, though, that eventually a psychopath of this magnitude would once again get the urge.

I bet he dies at the end of this coda-series.

Chris from Chicago and Vidiot like this.
  8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I watched every episode and season, thought it was great mostly, I wasn’t that keen on the ending either, will be giving this a view.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've had enough of that character. I had enough pretty much shortly after they brought in Charlotte Rampling to do the silly Grayson Hall Dark Shadows routine. It sure was good though for several seasons.

agentalbert, alexpop and GregM like this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Michael C Hall put out this video as a teaser for Dexter today:

D-rock, Tom in Houston and alexpop like this.
  11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Certainly peaked my interest ;)

12. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Altho I was disappointed in most of the seasons after the Trinity Killer(!!) season, I'm in.

Scott222C and sound chaser like this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Showtime pushed out Ep. 1 earlier today. I saw the criticism that it is too slow moving, but I enjoyed the episode. And it will pick up very soon. Looks like the season will have a cat and mouse game between Dexter and the police, which always provided good suspense in the past. Plus the usual concern about being discovered by acquaintences.

I'm not sure how Harrison found him but I would guess Hannah is behind it. I'm thinking Hannah reappears, and I am hoping the show shifts to Argentina from upstate NY by mid-season. A more interesting environment.

D-rock, It's Felix and TMRY like this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved Dexter Seasons 1-4.

Dropped off after.

Hoping optimistically this will be good.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Pretty good ep.

George Co-Stanza and ex_mixer like this.
  16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Just watching Ep 1, nice to hear a little BOC :).

George Co-Stanza and ex_mixer like this.
  17. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Didn't realize how much I've missed that creepy Dexter music that plays over the end credits.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I far prefer the original show—has a more interesting setting/premise, more interesting characters, and more of Dexter’s interior monologues. It’s early days, so maybe it will get better. It’s not bad, mind you, just less compelling for me so far.

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The 1980's are here again... lol.. Michael missed his calling in 90's

halfjapanese likes this.
  20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Spoilers -

Over the top bad guy who had, "ima be killed at epi end" didn't click with me. Harrison being re-introduced has possibilities but if Dexter starts schooling him on "The Code" I'm done. I too would like a change of scenery and a reappearance by Hannah. She's a solid character but I'd imagine Strahovski has a lot on her plate after flat out owning her character in Handmaid's Tale

brockgaw, George Co-Stanza and TMRY like this.
  21. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

I was optimistic for the return and have to say, not disappointed with Episode 1. There's a lot of possibilities, just have to see where they take it from this point. A lot of balls in the air right away...10 years of repressed urges, cop girlfriend, powerful rich guy that is going to want some answers, along with the appearance of Harrison and unanswered Hana questions, not to mention the missing girls angle. My gut feeling is the principles wouldn't have put it together unless they thought they could make it worthwhile.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

So glad to have it back.

Looks like Deb is Dexter's conscience like Harry was before.

Can't be worse than Season 6.

DLD and Riktator like this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really enjoyed the premier even though it was kind of predictable. But who cares? Fun show.

toddrhodes, DLD and TMRY like this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked Hannah as well. But I've always felt Dexter's best partner was/would have been Lila from back in S2. They never should have had her go to Europe and kill her off.

25. George Co-Stanza

Hell yeah! Always like hearing some BOC pop up.

I have to admit that I got a big smile on my face when it played over the credits at the end. The look and feel of the show is so different, with it being cold and snowy NY instead of warm and sunny Miami, but that theme playing was like an old friend wrapping a warm blanket around you.

toddrhodes and sound chaser like this.