Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Wombat79

Wombat79 Forum Resident

Amazon AU still has the original box for about AU$450. That is about 280 euro.

2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

It's a bit annoying alright, but I'm still glad I bought the larger version.
    The original edition has, as you know, a hardcover book and nine substantial booklets with translations of all the vocal works.
    The new box has only one booklet similar to the Warner, Naxos and Brilliant sets.
    Regarding the actual CDs, the whole "Classic Performances" set has been removed and also Gardiner's complete symphony cycle.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Bohm box arrived from Amazon US. It was inside a special foam container in a factory box. I am looking forward to start listening to some German opera!

[​IMG]

4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

If you will allow me a suggestion: start with Capriccio. It is a very unknown piece but with sublime music. The beginning is a beautiful sextet for strings. And this version is for me the reference.

5-String likes this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Wagner.

MikeF63 likes this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Mine is scheduled for August 7

5-String likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Originally, mine was scheduled for mid August but surprisingly I got it much earlier.
    It’s a great set, very nicely done.

croquetlawns likes this.
  9. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I want your opinion guys, what do you think is better: DG's complete Stravisnky ot Warner's not-so-complete edition?

10. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

ive also been wondering thus

croquetlawns likes this.
  11. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I haven't head everything in either of the boxes, but I'd go for the DG over the Warner anyday. The performances may not be the best available in the DG, but I think they still out rank the Warner compilation. But of course, if I could only have one Stravinsky box, I'd buy the Sony in a heartbeat.

Four Bs, 6138, Åke Bergvall and 3 others like this.
  12. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I am another in the Sony box camp.

Four Bs, 6138, Åke Bergvall and 2 others like this.
  13. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

This one?
    I have it already, I am just tempted to add a second one.

[​IMG]

14. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

15. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

TonyACT likes this.
  16. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I now have the answer to my question. The Oslo Years is supposedly on the way, but the much more desirable John Lennon box was just cancelled by Cultyfix. I suspect others who got too good a deal will experience the same.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I understand that Mariss Jansons is not as famous as some other names but I always liked his conducting and this is a very enjoyable and interesting set.

cws and prymel like this.
  18. Åke Bergvall

I am very happy to get the set, and the price was certainly right. I have some of Jansons' later recordings with the Concertgebouw, and they are excellent. His most famous recordings with the Oslo Philharmonic, however, are his Tchaikovsky symphonies, but that is not part of this box since they were recorded by Chandos. I may have to get them too.

TonyACT and 5-String like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The recordings Jansons made with the Concertgebouw when he was their principal conductor (2004-2015) were not as highly regarded here (in the Netherlands) as many of the ones made by his predecessors Haitink (1963-1988) and Chailly (1988-2004). They seem to lack a certain "drive" (for want of a better description) in comparison. He was a good conductor nevertheless. Talking about the Concertgebouw's principal conductor, there still isn't one... They've been without one since Gatti was fired in 2018.

TonyACT, cws, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have not heard these, I will have my eyes open for a copy.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

The recordings I have by him are Mahler 1 and 5, some Richard Strauss and the three early Stravinsky ballets. While they may not be the very top of the pile I like them a lot. A contributing factor might be the great surround recordings done by RCO Live that seem to bring out the best of the Concertgebouw (I have to admit never having been there in person, however, so I cannot vouch for their fidelity). The one recording of Jansons that really grabbed me was the companion piece to his recording of Petroushka, Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances. Before listening to it, they had not seemed that special but Jansons' version made me sit up.

22. Martin H

Martin H Forum Resident

Like colleagues here, I've always been a bit underwhelmed by Jansons - having heard him in Amsterdam and elsewhere, and on a few recordings. He was clearly held in great esteem by orchestras - no-one could otherwise helm simultaneously two of the world's best (Concertgebouw & Bavarian Radio Symphony) but I never found his performances that memorable.
    Anyone considering a box set by him might try listening to some of his recordings online before taking the plunge.

J.A.W. and croquetlawns like this.
  23. varanger

varanger Forum Resident

Capriccio is by Richard Strauss

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Forgot to mention Eduard van Beinum, who was the Concertgebouw's principal conductor from 1945 until his untimely death in 1959, and whose recordings are also highly regarded here.

25. Åke Bergvall

It turns out the discussion about the value of the Jansons box has, for me at least, become moot. Cultyfix has just let me know that despite the fact that I got a mail several days ago saying it had been shipped the order has in fact been cancelled (just like the John Lennon box). Now I only have to wait and see if my money is reimbursed! If I hadn't made some amazing deals in the past I would say that if its sounds too good to be true it probably is. Anyway, no more Cultyfix for me, however tempting . . .

Matt Richardson and croquetlawns like this.