Media Mail has been remarkably fast lately

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Shocker

The_Shocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a Media Mail CD in 2 days from Florida to Philadelphia.

I ordered an album from Portland, Oregon on Thursday and it's already out for delivery to my address in Philadelphia.

One of my Media Mail orders got here faster than an Amazon order I placed.

chazz101s likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

One of my Media Mail orders got to me before I ordered it.

It went through Quantum Logistics. That may have something to do with it.

3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

My two most recent have been delivered in two days.

4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

3 days from Denver to New Hampshire for one pound box media.

5. The_Shocker

The_Shocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if the USPS has decided it's more expensive to truck stuff slowly across the US.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Two more Media Mail packages delivered in two days. What is happening?

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I guess it depends on where you are. I have an LP that arrived in Jersey City on July 31st. It has not been scanned since then. Another "departed" Orlando on July 30 with no further activity noted in the tracking.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Media Mail is hit or miss. I have a package (2 CDs from Discogs) I've been waiting on that shipped from New Jersey on July 3rd, and is now - finally! - estimated to arrive tomorrow (Fri Aug 6th).

9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Completely hit and miss for me.

Two items I dropped off at the post office on Saturday afternoon here in TN. So it was after noon when they closed and I dropped them off in the night deposit.

Item # 1: Delivered in California on Monday. Dropped off at the post office Saturday afternoon in Tennessee, delivered on Monday in California.

Item #2: Yet to be scanned into their system. Looks like I never shipped it.

rhino4evr likes this.
  10. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I get that a lot here in 97219. Even if the carrier picks it up.

And starting on Aug 21 you'll have the pay more for that level of incompetence.

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Hey, I used to live in 97219. Nice neighborhood; I miss it there because it was such a nice walk/hike up to Council Crest. I'm in 97223 now.

12. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

What station is that called? Do they hold on to your Media Mail too?

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

97223 is the Tigard post office. I rarely drop media mail packages into their self-service bins. I always walk them in and make sure I get a receipt that the package has been scanned in as accepted. I've had trouble with hold mail requests with that post office, though; they will deliver accumulated mail when I request to pick it up, and vice versa. When I come in to pick up, sometimes they can't find my accumulated mail and I have to come back the next day.

14. Little Rock, AR to Vonore, TN 29 days, delivered Aug. 19

USPS.com® - USPS Tracking® Results

Little Rock, AR to Atlanta, GA 2 days, delivered Sept. 1

Little Rock, AR to Queen Creek, AZ 2 days, delivered Sept. 1

I have never seen this with Media Mail before, 2 days to deliver a package. The Aug. 19 delivery taking 29 days to get to the next state is similar to what has happened many times the past year and a half for me. Were my recent packages accidentally put on a plane?

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have had Media Mail shipments all over the map. Some 2-3 days. Some 14 days. It's not as bad as it was last year, but it's still not reliably good.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

The new norm here in 97219 even with the new rate increases is to hold them for 2-3 days. Makes me look like crap. And USPS just lost another one I had to pay up for.

I predict another miserable holiday season for media mail.

I do have a saving grace. With the recent cost increase I can go first class for higher priced albums rather than priority. Max weight for FCM is 16 oz. I had a 15 oz album ship for $5.98 vs $3:19 for MM. They don't sit for 2-3 days.

17. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

You would have to be nuts to send anything via Media Mail starting in November.

BluesOvertookMe and ScramMan2 like this.
  18. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

Central KY to Santa Barbara, CA - delivered in two days. Wow! I mean there's no consistency, but this was pleasing.

19. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

I noticed things have been getting to me a bit quicker then recently. Still not great though.

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Wonder if the increase in media mail rates have anything to do with it. Doubt it. Probably just a low. It'll get worse during the holidays.

21. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I've had pretty good luck with vinyl (3-5 days) but someone sent me a CD recently (retailer thru eBay) and that took like two weeks. UPS on the other hand---packaged mailed from Michigan to upstate NY last Wednesday and is scheduled for Monday. Usually it's two business days tops for a destination that close.

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

A lot of media is 3 days for me....first class USPS hoppers they get chucked in I guess.

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Media mail package from a fellow SHF member, two days from TN to CA. Can't complain about that!

WarEagleRK likes this.
  24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They chuck media into first class mail hoppers at the final USPS origination buildings before going to the airport.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Just sent a Sabbath CD from CA to a buyer on the 20th, it arrived on the 22nd in IL. Yes, two days across the country. Maybe we are coming out of the darkest days. Remember we had a postal head that was hired to slow down the mail in every way possible. I mean hell-bent on making it slow, even dismantling letter sorting machines that were in full use. Not sure if packages were also sorted on those machines. But I think we are on our way back from hell now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.