The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Amazon TV Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Feb 20, 2020.

1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Started a thread here: ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Goes On: Anime Film ‘The War Of The Rohirrim’ In Works

TheOneRing.net posted an article with some more information on the rights:
    More Details for “Rohirrim” anime: Oscar-winner Philippa Boyens returns to Middle-earth! | Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime News, JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit and more | TheOneRing.net

omikron and SRC like this.
  3. omikron

4. I thought this was strange, but I guess project secrecy really is important:
    • There is a fake production team shooting decoy footage on fake sets unrelated to the real Production – [thus making some “reports of location sightings” false leads by tricksy hobbitses and we must admit this is very clever indeed! Peter Jackson never used decoys!]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. omikron

Indeed. Let's hope the spies got the info from the real production and not the fake one.

Tolkien historians on site. More access to the writings. Tolkien Estate is very pleased so far. This is all sounding good.

6. omikron

Amazon’s 'Lord of the Rings' could feature a surprisingly controversial character

Speculation on Tom Bombadil being a character in the new series.

My response would be simple: Why?

While interesting, what could Da Bomb bring to the show? Is he going to be like Yoda in the prequels? Leading armies and sword-fighting enemy baddies? While an incredibly powerful individual, he seems like the kind of guy who wants to be left alone and in my eyes would be a diversion in the show.

At the very least, they might explain his origins but I kind of like it that he is a mystery.

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Did Tolkien even ever explain anything? I got the vibe that Tom had just always been there.

omikron likes this.
  8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Love Tolkien but always felt that the idea of Bombadil in LOTR was always a bit of a misfire. Having a guy around for whom the mighty One Ring of Ultimate Power is a useless trinket undercuts the gravity of the story problem.

Wil1972, Chris DeVoe and omikron like this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

From what I recall from the books, the Elves considered Bombadil to be "The Eldest" but Tolkien never really elaborated on his origin. However, his presence in FOTR was an amusing side-story and many were miffed that Jackson totally ignored that portion of the novel. True, it wouldn't add anything crucial to the film narrative, but you would think that at least in the extended editions, Jackson could have thrown the Tom Bombadil & Goldberry fanboys (like me) a small bone.

I suspect that if we see Tom Bombadil or Goldberry in the Amazon series, it will be a brief acknowledgement of their presence in Middle Earth, and like the book, not really explain their nature or origins. I can live with that.

omikron and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Maybe Sauron could offer Tom a ring of power. :laugh:

omikron likes this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That was the exact reasoning for Jackson and co. leaving it out. Along with the rationale for a couple of other changes, Faramir in particular.

That said, in the book it seems like it would be a nice reminder of the light at the end of the tunnel, that maybe things are not as dire as they appear.

Then the hobbits almost get eaten by a tree so I dunno maybe s%*t just sucks sometimes. :laugh:

EVOLVIST, SRC and omikron like this.
  12. omikron

His name alone would be goofy. Just some guy out in the woods named Tom doing his thing. All these archaic names and then there's "Hey Tom! A little help over here?"

Could possibly work if he went under his original name back in the second age granted to him by the Valar or something. Before he went into "retirement" when the Hobbits find him and had just become ol' Tom.

And to @SRC 's point, what is the value in Sauron making rings that Tom is immune to? They could just have him walk up to Sauron, punch him in the belly and take them. Story over.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, ASSUMING Tom had some godly role given his possible origins, why would he sit back and let Sauron wreck middle earth over and over? The Valar sent the wizards to stop him. Who was Tom that he could just sit back and chill assuming he had some equal level of power? Did he cash out early? Sold all his Amazon stock and just decided to veg out for the rest of time?

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Unfortunately leaving Tom out and the scene at the Barrow-downs and the barrow-blades left no room for explaining the specialness of the blades. Aragorn just distributed some short swords to the Hobbits when they were at Weathertop with no special powers. Something important was lost there but I don't how you do all that without Tom Bombadil.

omikron likes this.
  14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I disagree. It's an essential ingredient to show that the ring (a made thing), it's power, and the stories it weaves, are not above all else.

FredHubbard and omikron like this.
  15. SRC

Interesting point, but I guess for me, especially in a mainstream film series, this essential idea is that great power corrupts all - even Frodo, who was their best chance to not be corrupted by the lure of power, gets corrupted by it in the end. In the films, it comes down to cosmic fate to some degree - Bilbo "was meant" to find the Ring, then Bilbo spared Gollum when he could have killed him, and in the end, Bilbo's pity allowed Gollum to be the one ultimately cast by fate to - accidentally - destroy the Ring (not leaving out Frodo's metaphorical if not literal sacrifice on the way.) So if the theme of the Ring story is that power corrupts, if they present someone like Bombadil who cannot be corrupted, it gets murky to me. It opens up questions about what the responsibility of Bombadil towards the fate of the world. Aragorn rejects the power of the Ring but also works to help it be destroyed. Bombadil rejects the power of the Ring but is just kind of hanging out in the woods with his girlfriend. It always comes up, people asking "why couldn't they use the Eagles to just fly to Mt. Doom and save all that walking about", and the only good answer I know is that even the eagles are susceptible to the lures of the Ring. Having a guy in the woods, who is kind of like God but also isn't, seems an unnecessary detour that opens up more questions for a general audience than anything helpful or entertaining. Taking this again as a mainstream piece of entertainment, it would be a bit like a Star Wars or even a Dune movie having a scene showing that "well, the story you are watching is not the be-all end-all story here, folks."

Wil1972, Chris DeVoe and omikron like this.
  16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I think that the ring represents more than just power. In a way it represents the hierarchies of society. A construction. Made things. I don't like the idea that there would be no "outside" of that, nor anyone who could live outside of it. Nature is not a construction. Bombadil represents nature.
    However, I'm ok with the LOTR films being as they are. The Hobbit films are rubbish, but that's by the by.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    FredHubbard, omikron and SRC like this.
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

... Nazgul?

omikron likes this.
  18. SRC

Good point, and the eagles flying towards Mt. Doom would have certainly made Sauron take notice. There are probably more reasons why the eagles plan wouldn't have worked out. Unless they had Don Henley perhaps. But regardless, I think having Bombadil would raise far more valid questions than even the eagles do. Instead there's almost a sense in the book that Bombadil doesn't even care about the ring. So I'm not sure how he helps the story. The Ents don't care about the Ring either, they could be said to also represent a nature that outlasts all of the troubles of men/elves, etc. But they play an interesting part of the story at least, once they actively participate in the conflict at least to some extent.

omikron and Evethingandnothing like this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

EVOLVIST, Wounded Land, SRC and 2 others like this.
  20. omikron

extravaganza, EddieMann and SRC like this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Just when I thought I was out...

omikron likes this.
  22. omikron

For those who wish to geek out, the theory in some circles is this view if from Valinor itself or an adjacent island.

If it was from Numenor or Beleriand/Middle Earth then there is no way the ocean between that and Valinor is that small.

23. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

For those disappointed in the horribly bloated Hobbit movies (well, pretty much everyone) I highly recommend the really wonderful and totally legal Fan-Edit of the Jackson films into one 4-hour film that stays true to the original and much shorter story. Dustin Lee used his considerable editing skills to cut out virtually all of Jackson's made up BS and extraneous scenes (I'm looking at you Legolas and Whatsername!) and streamlined the story back to "normal."

And it 's actually quite enjoyable!

It's available as a free download, both DVD and 1080 BluRay, at:

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
    Downloads
    (Oh, and these are two separate links.)

You're welcome.

Dave Mac

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2 years on, trailer ?

25. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

So in essence, you're thinking about what makes Tolkien's works unique. Unfortunately this kind of uniqueness, tied to the wrong time and place, is not to everyone's liking. I don't want works of art diluted and homogenized because of modern trends, no matter how I feel about the works themselves. It's a matter of principle. Taking liberties with adaptations is not the same as altering the source material, i.e censorship, but it is a slippery slope.