'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Btw @Tim1954 . I know this is off topic, but I have since heard my copy of Teruo Nakamura's Unicorn and man, thank you so much for putting me on the path of that album! The UK pressing from 2003 sounds great too! Not sure if AAA, but it does sound really nice. Paid a pretty penny for it, but it was worth it!

Tim1954 likes this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Hey, that’s great! So glad you are enjoying it.

My copy is the original release but I’m sure yours is also a solid pressing. A very unique album! Plenty of big names contribute and it has a kind of ethno-spritual fusion vibe that really works well. That album was recorded in New York. A big fave of mine on the TBM label!

Smith and DrZhivago like this.
  3. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

That's precisely what clicked as soon as I heard the track you posted earlier ITT. It was A2 I think, I love that kind of spiritual jazz vibe :)

Had no idea that it was recorded in New York though. Again, thank you!

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is one time (only if I heard it first though) that I would pay the price of a One Step for this. Fortunately I paid the original sell of $64. I spent the past weekend enjoying the heck out of it. 3 wonderful records, trifold cover, lined inner sleeves, and a very cool booklet, make this an all time best RSD release. The S/Q is easily on par with the Tone Poets and the Acoustic Sound Series releases and I'm referring to the better of the bunch. For me, this is a must have Bill Evans release and to hear these three musicians playing in top form with a soundstage that just lets you sit back and say oh yeah! What's most impressive with this being a live recording and from different shows, is how consistent the sound stays throughout.

This more than makes up for the disaster "Ronnie Scott's" was last year...and while I was picking this up last Thursday I went ahead and pre-ordered Trio 64 and Trio 65, so a Bill Evans day indeed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

We agree. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

6. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

I’ll make sure the discogs seller that I just bought this from sends you a Christmas card this year.

Thanks for maintaining such a sterling reputation on this board so that folks like myself are able to discern (with a little $$$ of course) the choice releases based on your vocal recommendations! It’s a great time to be alive if you’re willing to dedicate the bulk of your expendable income towards recorded music. :)

7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Totally agree; could not have put it better. What’s done is done and the problem is resolved. Here’s to more fantastic TP releases to come :cheers:

mktracy, recstar24, NicoRock and 2 others like this.
  8. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Makes me wonder about about Roy DuNann, his engineering for Contemporary is considered to be very good stereo, so did he monitor in stereo and make stereo his focus? Was his rig setup for stereo as opposed to RVG, who set up for mono?

9. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

We have talked about this before, but to reiterate, RVG did not record in stereo until the mid- '60s, his "stereo" tapes were two-track, monitored in mono (summed) and thus there was no attempt to create a true stereo sound field. He was trying to get the best of both worlds but his stereo suffered from that compared to others at the time.

mktracy and Swann36 like this.
  10. G E

G E Senior Member

We "roughed it" with 12 year old Aberlour, a bit of a sherry bomb

:)

bruinuclafan and Swann36 like this.
  11. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Ooh, I haven't tried this but it sounds really good, reading some tasting notes online. Another suitable TP might be Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At; his tone is just as a good sherry whisky should be: sweet and smooth, but with a rough edge ;)

Swann36 likes this.
  12. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

"One Flight Up" and "Go" arrived today from Udiscover's summer sale. Have not gotten into Go yet, but wow, the sound on One Flight Up is really something. Between this and Katanga....nice job by the tone poet! Two of the best sounding records i have played in a while.

mktracy, bjlefebvre, Ronnieb and 2 others like this.
  13. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Looks like ‘65 got pushed out by 8 months?

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words @Jack Francis and it sure is nice to have so many others around here giving such awesome feedback/recommendations regarding all of the great music available.

So many records on the way, not the worst of news, but that is once heck of a delay. Saw the update release on the AS site...

Jack Francis and CBackley like this.
  15. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I have Sony hybrid SACD of this album. Sounds fab and its an amazing record. Getting those Miles Davis fusion period vibes. Definitely in my top 3 TBM.

Regards

Tim1954 likes this.
  16. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'm with you Scotti ... not the worst news i got today from Amz UK ... i'm going to wait patiently as i have sing Sept last year for Chet Sings..

"Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Bill Evans Trio "Bill Evans - Trio '65 [VINYL]"
    Estimated arrival date: May 03 2022

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

If the order won't arrive by the time you need it, you can cancel the order or an individual item from your order by visiting Your Account, and viewing the order details. As long as the item hasn't entered the dispatch process, you'll be able to cancel it.
    We hope to see you again soon."

17. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I just washed and played my copy of Katanga. Not sure how it could get any better than this. Brilliant all the way around. I have Dexter Gordon: OFU on Cisco which I need to revisit....

mktracy, TerpStation and scotti like this.
  18. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

interesting, thanks for linking...however..

I'd say the overwhelming majority of warping and damage is done at the manufacturing and processing level - I still buy lots of used records and they are never warped and get sent through media mail. it is time that the pressing plants start to take responsibility and the labels hold them to it...

oh, wait...this is the music business.

astro70, mktracy, vinylshadow and 8 others like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Not sure I'm buying into this. Sounds like an excuse to make up for lack of quality control to some extent. Its going to be near 100 degrees here through the weekend. My second replacement of KOB UHQR got shipped yesterday, and should be here by Saturday, so this could be interesting. I'm afraid to see my next electric bill...

Oh my, still waiting for this? I wonder why this one is taking so long.

mktracy, Starquest and dastinger like this.
  20. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

All Japanese (King, Toshiba) were dub tapes sent to Japan, no original tapes left the US as far as I know.

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

No, Japan only had copy tapes, but as demonstrated, by the EMI "A Love Supreme" copy tape, a properly transferred and well looked after copy can still be a great source for excellent modern reissues.

22. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

wow Scotti....I still can't get an answer on when they will be sending my KOB replacement....Chad must recognize your influencer status around here :)

23. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Oh yes still waiting ... hmv said they had some ..found in the warehouse but i'm still waiting for them too ...

24. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I literally told myself before this RSD I was done with the annual Bill Evans releases. I mean, how much "newly discovered" Bill Evans albums do I need? I had 3-4 of the previous Resonance albums. Then all the raves came up on how great the new one sounds. I caved and bought it. And it lives up the raves. It's definitely one of the best of the recent bunch.