Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986 Thread Starter

Didn’t see this posted in the first two pages of the forum, so don’t kill me if this was posted already.

But apparently Giles has spoken out about why he won’t remix Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Why the Beatles Haven't Remixed 'Rubber Soul' or 'Revolver' Yet

Tldr - too many of the lead vocals were recorded with other instruments at the same time.

Sorry, but this excuse pisses me off. Giles seems to think Beatles fans want some completely different listening experience, but I think what most of us want is a decent stereo mix of the two albums. I don’t care if most of the songs are mono with maybe one track panned - as long as the drums, bass and lead vocal are center (i.e., basically how all music post 60’s sounds) it would be an improvement.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Then bring in someone who is more competent than Giles.

3. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Even his Dad failed at it in 1987.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Who made him the gatekeeper? Assign the albums to Paul Hicks or the guy who remixes the progressive rock albums.

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Rubber soul has already been remixed in 1987.
    Nowhere man and Think for yourself have already been remixed on Yellow Submarine Songtrack.
    None of these were satisfactory or even relevant.

Let's leave it at that ;)

6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Steven Schmillson ?
    Please no ;)

(I love the guy's own music. I don't like his remixes.)

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I really don’t care either way.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Technology has advanced considerably since 1987. With all due respect to Giles, he should give a listen to his dad's' remix of Nowhere Man from '87 and follow it with Peter Cobbin's' remix on Yellow Submaribe Songtrack from 12 years later. And here we are 22 years after *that*. I don't get it.

9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The RockBand mixes are pretty good and they didn't even have the actual multi-track masters to work with, and that was 12 years ago. I hear fan remixes that are half way decent, not sure why Giles couldn't do something with all the sources and tech at his disposal.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think the idea of a surround mix, is creating a broader soundstage.

When done well, and for the most part, most of what Giles has done is pretty good, it gives you a headphones without headphones feel, with real separation, but still balanced.

My understanding is that they are playing with track separation technology, to try and achieve the kind of results that would warrant a surround mix.
    Although I would love surround mixes from both these albums, it really would be a waste of everyone's time to put out some half assed mix with vocals, guitar, bass and effects in fake steteo across the front, and drums in the rear.... or something like that.

When surround first started coming around there were a number of dodgy mixes that damaged its reputation, and earned the same gimmick tag that stereo did at the beginning.
    Then at the rebirth at the turn of the millennium we had cheapo companies mastering stereo mixes into a 5.1 field, and that was crap also.

Though I understand the hardcore Beatles fans objections to the remixing, Giles has done a good job under a lot of pressure. He has done a better job each time, and to do the earlier albums, it is going to require that track splitting technology to work, well, for it to happen...... if it does, it could be quite sensational.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Oh well.....couldn't disagree more. Another great example are the beautiful remixes of the Help! songs in the bluray from quite a few years back.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Absolutely. Getting Giles replaced would be a plus for sure.

Funky54, formu_la, BuckNaked and 20 others like this.
  13. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I would love nothing more than a decent stereo mix of these two albums. The mono will always be my go to but… there has to be someone out there that could make an awesome stereo mix that doesn’t suck. I don’t care for either album in its entirety in stereo. Tomorrow Never Knows in stereo is my go to version.
    I wonder how many extras they have in the vaults on these two albums? I am ready for the remixed boxed sets of both albums. :waiting:

14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

They would be foolish not to release deluxe sets for the remaining studio albums in one of the most influential, not to mention profitable catalogs in popular music history. The remixes are almost an inconsequential inclusion for me personally, other then Pepper none of them have become my go to’s but I am glad to have them for the different mixes. The real draw for me are the unreleased material and the books. If we can get superior mixes all the better. But there are only so many ways to skin a cat, so other then redoing the catalog in surround or the stereo box in all analog, there’s not that many more ways they can resell the catalog is there? Then again if they can keep releasing multi disc Sex Pistols box sets, they can do it with the Beatles as well. Just hopefully they get through the whole catalog once before the Sgt Pepper 60th anniversary set.

15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I wrote a thread about this but didn’t start it because I was scared there were several already here. So weird with the beatle stuff. These comments prove it. Interesting article. Probably nails it. Soon the technology will be there. But fun to hear his informed, non internet hate type opinion.

My thought was the record label that Steve Hoffman highlighted doing Doo op and 50s stuff amazingly. Love those CDs. Taking the old into now quite well.

16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I mean to be fair to Giles it is a lose-lose situation, either make remixes and get complaints for the remix, or don't remix it based on feeling like he can't do the type of work he wants to do, and gets complaints from that

Sometimes I do think Giles gets a raw deal on these forums

17. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

You're literally asking him to unmix the bounced tracks, as if this is something that's routinely done.

supernaut, aoxomoxoa, Walt and 20 others like this.
  18. varispeed

varispeed what if?

spleeter and demucs tech is actually getting better. Nice advances in the past two years alone imo that work fairly well on 1965 4trk stuff of mine that I un-mix. I too, sort of wait for the code routines to get a little better on some elements.

I give it another 2-3 years for the code to be at the point where Giles can get some clean extractions to build out a new set of multitracks for some nice remixes.

I consider it totally worth the wait.

19. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Yikes

20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Oh, please.....he will have a stab at it....cut me a break. .........

21. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Not that I am happy about it......

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver
    best news I heard all day...

23. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Maybe a wider mono and stereo release? 2 LPs with a nice booklet, 1 LP of outtakes.

aoxomoxoa and Fred1 like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agree 1,000 percent! let's get Steve Hoffman!

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Tepo Nism

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.