Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Actually, thanks for that. I was always under the impression that Paul played chainsaw over his own recorded track but today I find out it was another band's track. I would also like to hear a good recording of it once and have tried to track it down is the past. But yes, was well aware this was done at the Art exhibition in Siegen, Germany

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Sorry, hope I'm not confusing things. But the music from the exhibition and that (unreleased) song by Nervous are two separate things as far as I know!

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No, that’s what I had gotten out of your comment. I was just saying that I had always thought that the underlying recorded track had been written/performed by Paul and then at the art exhibit played chainsaw over that existing track. But thanks to your post, I now know the underlying track was done by nervous/not Paul

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  4. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

I would recommend it too. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I was actually blown away and the music sounded so good. It reminded us of being at a Paul concert.

joy stinson likes this.
  5. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Yes, I plan to watch it. Got a free year of that when I upgraded my phone so I'm all set!

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I did not think I would like it either but was definitely pleasantly surprised! Enough to go back twice more

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney on Twitter:

""I suppose the most specific and obvious location that inspired me was the Mull of Kintyre, which is a very beautiful part of the world" - Paul For this month's website Q&A, you asked Paul about the places that influenced his songwriting. Read it here: https://mpl.pm/YGMTAJuly21"

[​IMG]

joy stinson, Calico, supermd and 7 others like this.
  8. I hope the will give him the (good) idea to sing this song live, and not only in Scotland.

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well he has played it in other places than Scotland. Has played it numerous times in both Canada and England.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hmmm... there's an idea for a playlist... the McCartney Travelogue...

Mull Of Kintyre
    Junior's Farm
    Back In Brazil
    London Town
    Heart Of The Country
    Spirits Of Ancient Egypt
    Cafe On The Left Bank
    Kansas City
    Riding Into Jaipur
    Road

These ones maybe, but probably a bit of a stretch:
    Give Ireland Back To The Irish
    Here Today
    Winedark Open Sea
    Lonesome Town
    On My Way To Work
    Rough Ride

And... if Paul goes intergalactic:
    Venus And Mars (reprise)
    ? Golden Earth Girl
    The Kiss Of Venus

:idea:

11. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Looks like the never-before-on-CD original 12" Say Say Say is coming out on CD:

Now 12-inch 80s Extended offers selected rarities – SuperDeluxeEdition

Pretty sure that was the first 12" single I ever bought (not that I bought many...). Did not quite suit my tastes at the time, though my listening tastes have become more open to such mixes since then. Let's check it out, shall we?

Listening to it now, it seems sort of... no big deal on the negative end. Kind of conservative and less 80's (in the negative sense) than I might have expected from Mr Jellybean Benitez. In short, time does wonders for one's perspective. :)

Anyway, a missing historical curio coming our way...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  12. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Mark Ronson - I Know Time (Is Calling) (Official Audio) ft. Paul McCartney, Gary Numan

13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Good song. But I'm not sure I can detect what Paul's involvement is. Do we know?

Paulwalrus and fer2 like this.
  14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson review – Paul McCartney and more geek out in the studio

"At one point, McCartney suggests that John Lennon would have been “all over” Auto-Tune technology. Cut to Ronson in the studio with Lennon’s son, Sean Ono Lennon, as they put Lennon Sr’s song Hold On through various plug-ins to see what it might sound like. It sounds like Bon Iver. “That’s funny,” says Sean as his father’s voice fragments into a digital choir."

jeremylr, Paulwalrus, supermd and 3 others like this.
  15. James McCartney

Main synth riff line, that’s Paul. He plays it during episode 4 of the series, and then Ronson & co built the song from that.

Paulwalrus, Mkirk, omikron and 2 others like this.
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

17. He would have better to use "groundbreaking" Paul!

Who Cares likes this.
  18. James McCartney

Officially released now

Elliottmarx, Eska68, Rocco and 3 others like this.
  19. James McCartney

20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Well, I just watched the first episode. Very interesting for all fans of music, really. This episode focuses on vocals and the power of vocal as an instrument, and the role of autotune.

Paul makes a brief appearance in this one to say that he's pro-autotune. So are the other artists featured. Basically, the attitude is if you've sung a bum note, autotune will fix it and no way are they leaving a bum note in when it could so easily be fixed.

Music fans make of that what you will. Personally, I like the more authentic approach, but we are dealing with artists here = control freaks and perfectionists. lol

Paul also thinks John would have been all over it, not so much to fix anything broken, but just to play with its effects. Sean echoes this but goes further and acknowledges that yes, John would have wanted to fix his voice because, as we all know, he never liked it.

There follows a great little segment where they put John's voice through the autotune and we get to hear what 'hold on John, John hold on' sounds like 21st centurified with an effect similar to Dominic Fikes' robotic vocals in Kiss of Venus. It indeed sounds like what the kids today listen to and it sounds bloody awful. :laugh:

Sean, however, is clearly having a great time playing around with it in a gear nerd sort of way and (somewhat worryingly!) seems rather impressed by the finished product. As a massive fan of John's natural vocal sans effects, I was inwardly yelling Stooooooop it...you're.mangling.his.beautiful.voice. arrrghh! It was just a fun exercise though. I couldn't help smiling watching Sean playing around with his father's voice. I just hope it hasn't given Sean any crazy remix ideas!

Yorick, jeremylr, Who Cares and 5 others like this.

21. McCartney played a mean chain saw. In 1994, McCartney invited the band Nervous to record tracks at his home studio. While the band was rehearsing, McCartney was outside doing yard work with a chain saw. The band liked the roar of the power tool and invited McCartney to bring it into the studio. Fumes from the chain saw set off the smoke detector, and the fire department was called. By the end of the day, McCartney, the chain saw and a chorus of firefighters all contributed to the track called, naturally, The Chain Saw Song.

Good thing Paul is The Fireman. ;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I do like this one

Elliottmarx, Rocco and fer2 like this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

The Ronson show looks like it could be interesting

Elliottmarx likes this.
  24. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident