Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

"Missionary Style". Great line Roman!

I have a Smackdown coming here on September 17 that I might go to. Bianca went to college here and Kane is the Mayor so it should be good.

Plus, Sasha is advertised for the show.

2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

JCRW likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

I fast forwarded it to the end. I hate that style of wrestling and that they gave Gage a national platform.

905 and JCRW like this.
  5. noname74

I’m not sure that is the road AEW should be going down..especially with guys like Bryan and Punk coming. Its not like they will want any part of that kind of a match.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

Punk and Danielson both had some bloodbaths in their pre WWE days, especially Punk in IWA. However they don't have to do it. Guys like Gage need that because they can't get attention based on their work or promos.

Lately AEW has had blood on almost every show and sometimes multiple matches and doing that causes it to lose its impact.

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

I wonder if AEW has had more blade jobs in 2 years of existence than WWE has had in the last 15 years?

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'd guess yes because its not allowed anymore other than PPVs right?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I think the gage thing was "one and done". I doubt he will be back (much like when they used Jeff Cobb). I laughed when I saw that pizza commercial after the use of the pizza cutter. Can't wait to hear Corny's thoughts on this match!

Matthew Tate, j4yheindeo and 905 like this.
  10. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

What did I say a few posts back? That Gage would treat Jericho the same way he did with David Arquette and what do you know, the pizza cutter and the fluorescent lightbulbs came out. I really don't know what AEW were thinking bringing this guy onto national television. If I were TNT or TBS I would be livid and demanding that Khan explain himself for one, and sign a stipulation to never try a stunt like that ever again. For all of the hype the promotion is getting by the rumoured signings of Bryan and Punk, they have this lowlife come in to an underwhelming response and further shame the industry.

11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I'm not sure of that, if AEW keeps someone like Moxley on their roster (and you know that guy is itching to keep characters like Gage in the spotlight) it could still go further south with more garbage death matches. I'm pretty sure that Corny won't even watch the match, it sounds like he would just boycott it while Brian Last would suffer through the torture and call it for what it was.

MikeInFla and 905 like this.
  12. MikeInFla

From what I read Tony Kahn had discussions with TNT before the match happened weeks ago and told them what would happen. I also read somewhere else that it was a one shot deal. I guess we will find out as time goes on. The article also stated Jericho pre-approved the match and made it clear with Gage what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Anyway, looking forward to Jericho vs. Juvi.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. WarEagleRK

Gage wouldn't do to Jericho anything that Jericho didn't already approve. He isn't shooting on Jericho. It does reflect badly on both of them and AEW for letting it happen. They have a lot of momentum right now. They have a sold product and a potentially great product given the talent they have and the platform they have to show it. Bringing in someone like Gage should have never happened and I hope it was just a one shot deal.

As far as TNT goes, I think it was cleared by TNT.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I guess they never took into consideration what their sponsors would think of the match. They may have pre-planned this whole debacle but they have to accept it was a loss for the company and need to prevent a stunt like this from happening again. Too many enablers getting into Khan's head because he knows nothing about the wrestling business. Maybe if they start focusing on simpler things like consistent, technical wrestling matches they will impress more fans and maybe build more of a following in the process.

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

I don't care if Last or Cornette watch the match. I hope they don't, it can't be good for Jim's health. AEW could put out Flair vs Steamboat 89 and they would find a way to crap on it. I listen to their old school clips on youtube, but they are so far off the rails with their personal issues on some of their stuff on modern wrestling that it buries the actual good ideas they have that could improve it.

16. WarEagleRK

Their matches are fine and their ratings are going up over the past couple of months. Technical wrestling rarely draws ratings, personalities do. Just throwing out great matches on TV won't change a thing for them beyond the hardcores who are there already. That audience is already there and are for the most part satisfied by matches like the opener this week with Page & The Dark Order vs The Elite. That's not what the company is missing in my opinion. The entire business is missing larger than life stars. That's when wrestling draws huge.

As far as AEW goes they just need to limit the hardcore and gimmick stuff to when it makes sense in the course of a feud and figure out how to better work week to week TV. Khan/AEW have done a great job creating big matches and getting really good PPV buys based on those matches, but it's the week to week booking to get to those matches that they need some work on.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I would rather them just boycott watching all of the modern promotions and focus more on the historical content personally. And lately that aspect has become a chore to Cornette & Last, they barely take any questions anymore and you're lucky if they go into one interesting story piece from both broadcasts. I guess they know their program has more or less become a comedy shoot and they are working it hook, line and sinker. I get a few chuckles out of the commentary but it become old and I usually fast forward to see if they end up talking about something of note. Last episode I listened to it was Cornette going off on Meltzer (who rightfully deserved a lashing) and it went on for over 45 minutes. I got the point after 5 and wanted it to wrap up at the 10 minute mark.

905 and MikeInFla like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

I think they know that a certain part of their audience is drawn in by their attacks on the modern product and they get a lot of attention for it so they lean into it. At a certain point it just became a caricature of their actual takes and became a worked shoot.

As far as him going off on Meltzer, from what I gather Meltzer sent him a story that Lou Thesz's widow told him and he thought Cornette would like the story. However because Cornette already burned that bridge down with Dave he just went off on him and it seemed like a huge overreaction to me. I thought Jim acted like a child blowing up a 40 year friendship with Dave over disagreements over modern wrestling and even more so last week. Meltzer just needs to quit social media. He's horrible at it. He's a great writer, but it doesn't translate to Twitter. He doesn't know how to ignore the trolls online. I don't think Dave is wrong when he says Cornette is an amazing historian but is completely out of touch with modern wrestling.

19. WarEagleRK

Since Cornette is the topic... I am not a fan of Brian Last. He just comes across as a blowhard and when selecting the questions to ask on the show he never actually does any research to find out how accurate the question is.

A week or so ago a fan asked a question about this gaming convention/wrestling show that Kenny Omega ran 3 years ago. The person putting the show together hired the local wrestling school/promotion to set up the ring and they allowed them to have the opening match. Chasyn Rance was the head trainer at that school and apparently a registered sex offender. So it was his students who were hired as the ring crew and the opening match. The person who wrote the question made it seem like him and Omega were best friends and used it as always to allude to whatever their image of Omega's personal life is. Instead of doing research on the issue, it was presented in the question like it was this great coverup and they ran with it. When in reality, Omega only knew the guy from working shows with him years ago and wasn't involved with the selection of the ring crew and knew nothing of the guys past. However they use it to bash him.

Amazing that this hatred toward Omega goes back over 10 years when Omega was living in Japan and hurt his ankle and had to cancel an ROH date in the US when Cornette was the booker. While in Japan Omega walked to the ring and accepted an award, Cornette took it that he worked another show and has hated him ever since.

20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think the moral of the story is its best for both sides to carry on with their own business and leave each other alone. This is where social media comes in yet again to blow a ridiculous thing up and basically make a story out of nothing. I doubt Cornette will keep his mouth shut on Omega, but I would think the last time Omega took a dig at Cult Of Cornette he will learn the lesson and shut up. Same goes for Corny & Meltzer but from what I gather it is Meltzer that is pushing the buttons and playing two sided. I would have preferred to hear 40 minutes of interesting facts or a few fan questions answered than to hear a continuous rant going over the same points over and over again.

21. MikeInFla

I have to admit Conrad's podcasts are more professional. but I got tired of Bruce saying "I wasn't there, I don't know". Seems to be his response to many questions instead of giving any insight or thoughts on a particular issue.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. WarEagleRK

Yeah, Omega took one shot at the cult for every 50,000 taken at him though and it was a fair point about maybe backing off of the over the top banter if it is causing some fan to potentially go after one of the wrestlers. Cornette constantly rips on him and the cult followers just spam everything he does so I can see him getting a shot back in that situation.

I think Meltzer is just socially awkward and doesn't realize that Cornette isn't working a character with him.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

I would have never thought Arn Anderson who was an incredible wrestling promo would have no personality when being asked about his career on his podcast with Conrad.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

all that stuff was pre approved by Jericho.

i'm so confused as there have been much worse people in wrestling and other sports that have jobs or platforms after doing way worse that anything Gage has done

blutiga likes this.
  25. noname74

Of course but not recently…mainstream wrestling moved away from that kind of match so when we see it on national TV in 2021 it’s quite shocking.

Matthew Tate likes this.