Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Good lad. It's my favourite too. :D

2. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

well crap did I mean hd tracks or shm sacd dammit

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Oh yeah, big difference. Which one did you mean?

4. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

I guess at some point later today I will have a listen
    well I know it WONT be the new deluxe LOL

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. Maybe you should check out the original WG Vertigo CDs. I believe those, or some of those, are smiley-faced.

6. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

well it seems as the 24/96 as compared to the shmsacd has the mids boosted ( sounds like an eq frown) and peaks at 0db so a quick easy comparison its not
    probably highly mood dependent on which one I prefer

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. wrat likes this.
  8. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

I listened to the first three albums for the "millionth" time again...
    May a theological or philosophical God "bless" fans of the original Sabbath forever !
    And this is not some statement from a 20 year old teenager ...
    (Double at least the experience until the most recent black metal.)

:)

Best (Heavy Rock / Metal) Band Ever.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I listened to the vol 4 extras on you tube. The outtakes disc was cool. But more just interesting. Rather than a full alternate take rehearsals. So not something I’d do again. The live show rocked. Sounded great. I’d kill for this. Happy with past lives. But great show wit( some old stuff. First album stuff. Worth it for the live show

10. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

What about the Vertigo 832 700-2 CD (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath)?

I find it rather balanced. No smiley faced, much less fuzzzzy than the very fun Intercord. lol
    And less Metal than the recent remasters ... Right in the middle in my opinion.

Linda, others?

:D

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. Greenalishi

Is it better than the WB original Cd? That’s the one I have. Think it
    sounds good.

12. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

question for Linda and ANYONE using headphones AND speakers, do your preferences always line up? meaning if you prefer release A on headphones do you also prefer release A on your speakers?

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  13. No, they don't. I have a feeling my headphones probably sound more "neutral" than my speakers. Whatever the reason, no, preferences don't always match. For example, on my speakers the Heaven and hell 2010 Sanctuary sounds a bit too bass-heavy. On my headphones it sounds pretty much perfect. Or at least it did, last time I checked. ;)

hutchguv and wrat like this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My speakers and headphones are on the same tonality. I only use the headphones, when I want listen (check) micro details on the album. I prefer listen to Metal on my speakers. Metal on headphones sounds inappropriate to me.

hutchguv and wrat like this.
  15. I don't remember why exactly, but the Vertigo was not among my favorites.

Dissidence likes this.
  16. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’m waiting on the 1986 Castle for SBS.

BDC, blacksabbathrainbow and Anthrax like this.
  17. Greenalishi

I loved the quad mix on the Paranoid box on headphones. Fun panning and small details for a new experience.

I looked through the discussions on Sabbath cd s. Conflicting information. But doesn’t seem to be an overwhelming difference on the Castle and Warner cd s. You can search this and another thread and there is lots of info. But nothing damming or radically different. I think.

wrat likes this.
  18. Greenalishi

That’s the Sabbath Boody Sabbth, Warner and Castle.

19. My impression has always been that for SBS the original Castle was clearly the forum favorite until the 2009 Sanctuary and the Japan SACD were released. I am not aware of many fans of the WB CD among those who are familiar with both the Castle and the WB.

See, for example, this comment:
    Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums

Tim1954 likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

My impression as well. The WB CD was too bright. Not one of the worst of the Warners or anything but certainly no comparison to the other three versions mentioned.

21. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I generally prefer the same masterings on my speakers and headphones (all listed in my profile)

But all sound different from each other so I can understand people enjoying one mastering on headphones and one on speakers

I’ve got to the point where I’ve got my favourite masterings in Black Sabbath, created one playlist on my server with them all in and listen to that when I want to listen to Sabbath

I had to stop myself from constantly comparing masterings on headphones because I ended up spending way too much time comparing and just not enjoying music

It’s nice to get to the best masterings, but when you suffer from quite severe ocd (and I not just talking about how people just casually mention having ocd these days ) when i managed to get my mastering obsession under control I decided just to stick with the decisions I’d made

If or when I buy some new speakers or headphones I might go down that path again, but for now I have my favourites and stick with them

It’s nice now and again to revisit other masterings for just a listen when someone mentions them in this thread and then walk away without going down the 6 hour comparing masterings of the same song rabbit hole I once dug myself into :D

Sorry if that’s a little too much information there

22. hutchguv

Out of curiosity and if you don’t mind me asking, why do you find Metal inappropriate on headphones?

Is it because you like to blast it out loud on speakers?

I like to blast some metal out loud, but I can also listen to it on headphones

One thing though, I love playing my speakers loud, but I don’t really like headphones being played too loud. Anyone else share that?

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

He can't control his headbanging urges, which results in the headphones flying off his head and smashing into the opposite wall.

It's a theory.

Of course. I'm actually scared of playing music loud on headphones.

Except for ocassionally putting them on to check out something specific my headphone usage is reduced to late at night, and at that time everything's so quiet I don't need much volume at all to thoroughly enjoy the listening.

24. hutchguv

That really made me laugh

25. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! He only just went and sent me the original WB version instead! In all fairness!!! :realmad:

BDC, hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.