Triangle Magellan Cello - road to audio Valhalla

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SME12A, Jul 28, 2021.

1. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever Thread Starter

No reason to start argument as I have nothing to prove to anybody.

P.S. when you google “Devore Fidelity”, the first 5 pictures that come up on his google reviews are mine.. happy listening!

Harrocks and timind like this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

This is the crux of the matter. Proper amplification. Great amplification with massive current drive can make the difference in so many cases no matter what the speakers in question.

For some reason many believe it’s either not necessary or don’t want to invest in something they don’t obviously see the requirement for. Many believe it’s totally about loudness and SPLs. I can fully understand the discouragement by the cost of same.

3. SME12A

What bothered me about Devore was constant enigma around his design – using cardboard around his crossover and filling it with some epoxy to keep design away from curious eyes. John never explained any technical aspect of his designs – almost as if he owns a magic potion. I am an engineer and strongly believe in transparency of the process.

When Polish magazine opened Super 9s and exposed the interior of that speaker, one could see Scanspeak drivers that look exactly like the off shelves models, cheap looking – thin wiring that reminds radio-shack basic model. Crossover filled with black epoxy – sorcery like device that I would never dare to carry on any commercial plain, surrounded by cardboard. No parts exposed.

Maybe these facts do not bother majority people BUT in my subconscious, I already got discouraged. $10k is a lot of money for pretty box.

I also do not particularly buy into the idea of speaker’s enclosures tuning by ear. I understand that instruments vibrate transferring harmonics of certain frequency into the air. The major danger of the “live” speaker box is they are VERY meticulous and demanding towards the acoustic environment of the space they are set in! My condominium’s walls are made of plywood so when Devore or Harbeth speakers were used, there are many room resonances and modes (that cause peaks) and dips that I cannot control. I am always full of admiration for designs from Magico and their effort to make sure their speakers cabinets are stiff, rigid and resonance free. Their pricing is totally out of my reach J

Not only, both Raidho and Wilson are beautifully made (that is expected at that price range), but also they are very transparent as far as their engineering practices go. These little details built my confidence while auditioning speakers.

Back when I researched triangles, the amount of disquisition and engineering that goes into their designs astounded me. The cogent bracings in the Magellan series cabinets as well as individual measurements for each driver (widely provided on their website), put smile on my face.

There is even a major study for thermal conductivity of the voice coils in their woofers so that when pushed, they do not distort as quickly as conventional drivers.

In my head – all of that truly matters! Even the gauge and quality of internal wiring is jarring. The Cello uses pure silver wire from the crossover board to the midrange and tweeterdrivers. (Triangle claims this approach supposed to increase resolution). Even the connecting posts at the actual drivers are beautifully crafted in a bullet form that is golden plated. No nasty soldering like in other speaker designs. All connections are high pressure forged.

I would like to point out that everything that I type in my posts is strictly my OWN observation and experience. I would like to share with all of you my thought process with all its details – what drove me to make certain changes and what lead to decisions I made. There will be tons of details you will not agree with (and it is PERFECTLY fine) BUT what is nice about this hobby, we can share our OWN experiences and exchange ideas that in the end should lead to better listening experience.

I am paying more attention to components’ aesthetics than most users – it is a problem! If something sounds good but looks/functions mediocre, I WILL lose sleep over it – I used to own Dartzeel LHC208 integrated with built in DAC – the $18k units came with cheap – Chinese made plastic remote! This was simply not acceptable to me by any standard– I fought it but my mind won J I DO care about details. Now you guys know enough about me to perhaps understand the logic behind my reasoning and choices I make.

Another important topic is that I do not have anything against Devore, Harbeths and other designers/manufacturers – all thoughts that I share with you are simply the result of conclusions I made based on extensive listening (I listen 2-3 hours a day on average) in my room according to MY taste. Many guests at my house through the years totally disagree with me on many sound aspects we discussed– that is expected and welcomed! Constructive criticism is always welcome and respected.

Sorry for some morning rant – super slow day at work J

P.S. As of yesterday, my Super 9s went back to my local dealer and you should see them for sale soon on Audiogon or US Audio Mart. If you want that kind of speaker and you can provide the “right” environment – get it! They are indistinguishable from brand new - not even a fingerprint anywhere.

jfeldt, Tajo1960, bever70 and 4 others like this.
  4. SME12A

Amen!!!
    Alan Shaw from Harbeth is spitting his gut out trying to persuade people not to use low powered amplification….my all time favorite is “my Xero copy machine takes more power than your 5W amp”

bever70 and Khorn like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Five or six years ago I owned a pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon 88 (I think that was the model) that left me cold. Many great reviews on line. In my experience though, a very dull, forgettable sound. While they were pretty to look at, and seemed well built, they did nothing for the music. Thanks to those reviews, they were a quick resell.

With your comments about cheap remotes, I understand why the Simaudio gear is to your liking. I had a Simaudio i7 integrated and that remote could be used as a weapon to fend off an attacker.

SME12A likes this.
  6. SME12A

Yes, I remember Devore gibbon 88s pretty well. They came out around the time when my local boys became the dealer for John. Beautiful furniture with great finish but thin and far from musical sound – John quickly discontinued them (that was a good call).

Another problem that existed in my mind that the cabinet for the Super 9s is exactly same as the one used for Gibbon 88s. The front panel is different to facilitate different drivers – even packaging is the same with a stamp on a box “Gibbon 88”.

John DeVore and Alan Shaw are both BRILIANT businessman with two different markets – one is Hipster – old analog lover, Maverick producing goods in Brooklyn’s Navy yard (Made in US) while the other conservative and elegant Englishmen that uses science for his designs, hates analog and claims that digital is the ONLY way to go. Nothing is wrong with any of these two if you based your decisions on the side stories and reviewing hype that has nothing to do with music, sound and audio experience.

Those facts among others drove me away from DeVore land – I was sick of that whole aura of hype. I started realizing that I paid maybe $2k in that Super 9 design because of the actual sound and the rest $8k was hype, marketing and reviewing politics. This was unacceptable by my standard.

As far as Harbeth 40.2 went – I had them for 8 months and SO WANTED to love them! My heart was broken when I realized how dissatisfying they sounded in my room. Self-justification (terrible disease among audiophiles) told me that there might be something wrong with them or paired equipment was not up to its task. I tried all Harbeth line except 7s in my room prior to 40.2 arrivals – I should have known better – none of them work to my satisfaction being rolled off, dynamically incapable and totally lifeless. My stupidity and justification convinced me that for some reason 40.2 will be a game changer and I will fall in love with that humongous woofer. Boy, I was wrong J I did the best I could to fight with myself to keep 40s…expensive mistake.

You have touched on very delicate and controversial topic of “unbiased reviewing”. I spent countless hours with my local dealer in their shop and witnessed MANY components sell transactions. It would not be understatement to say that 90% customers who bought 0/93, 0/96, Super 9s and Gibbon Xs did not even listen to them! Where is the logic in it? They bought the speakers strictly off reviews! What a powerful tool that does not encourage experimenting but rather gives total confusion and annoyance while manipulating legally explored horizon of naive audio customer…

That is why when I spotted Triangle speakers at my local dealer, their outside aesthetic grabbed my attention right away.

Initially I was not sure if this is another manufacturer whomakes shiny boxes in China but after careful and in-depth research, I was hooked. Nothing about this French company is “shiny” crooked or involves politics. They hardly ever get any reviews and, as somebody in our discussion stated earlier, once somebody buys them they usually keep them long term. Triangle does not really exist on used market – very good sign. When I look at Audiogon and US Audio Mart and see Focal and B&W top lines being available weekly in large qualities, it tells me something.

Yes, Triangle does not sell well in US because they do not have reviews – that is simply sad that people go by magazine recommendation instead of their own ears…

jfeldt, bever70 and timind like this.
  7. Khorn

Strange as Triangle has always been a very respected name for as long as I can remember.

SME12A likes this.
  8. SME12A

Yes but with popularity of internet, customers’ shopping habits changed.

Khorn likes this.
  9. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Congrats on the new speakers. I'm happy you're enjoying them. But this bashing of DeVore speakers (and owners of DeVore speakers) is a bit much. Obviously, you did not like the house sound of DeVore speakers, whether it's the Orangutan or Gibbon line. And that is totally fine. But just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean that everyone who does is wrong or just bought them without listening to them first. And bashing John DeVore, claiming there's no science behind his designs, is also quite a stretch. I bought my O/96s because I had heard them many times and had always dreamed of having them in my system. Once a good deal came along, I bought them and have enjoyed them since. So I'm not one of 90% of people you claim buy DeVore speakers before listening to them.

So maybe just enjoy your speakers without insulting other people's speaker preferences or designs.

Archguy and Khorn like this.
  10. SME12A

If you read all my posts you will realize that I have nothing personal against devore or other designers and strictly express my thought process! The reason I extensively talk about Super 9 is that what I had prior to Triangles arrival.

I have mentioned that whatever I say here is MY opinion only and to that I am entitled - if you don't like it, perhaps you should not read it.
    You came defensive because you own his speakers - It is perfectly fine!

In the right environment, Orangutans will shine! Not my cup of tea for sure!

No harm meant - simply MY personal observation based on experience underlined by knowing and talking to many people in industry…happy listening!

bever70, Mr.Sign and timind like this.
  11. Khorn

Brings to mind a recent situation where is asked a very trusted advisor about some very well respected speakers I had taken an interest in.

He knew my listening habits and the type of sound I like and stated “these speakers aren’t forward enough for you”. He related my particular listening habit requirements to the speakers not their capabilities which are widely accepted as superb to fit me.

Tim 2 and SME12A like this.
  12. SME12A

Rare indeed!!

I would pick the speakers you like and take them home for audition. I am fortunate enough to be a close friend to a local dealer so I can try tons of equipment at home - my honest and controversial experience, nobody can recommend a speaker for you except yourself…more you ask dealer or read reviews, the more confused you will become - i have been there, trust me :)
    Me and my dealer never talk about equipment and their sound. If I like something I simply borrow it to check at home….

My best analogy when talking about audio recommendation is you going to beauty saloon and ask the lady there to find you wife that you will love….its simply impossible….you might pay attention to her toe nails and shape of her ears more than anything else…stranger would never known! When you meet the ONE everything clicks all of the sudden and very often, you do not know why - thats my moment with Triangle Magellan Cello…

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Khorn, Mr.Sign and Mad shadows like this.
  13. Khorn

In this case I was just looking to the future in case for some reason (horrors) I would be forced to move to a condo. I was looking for speakers that would perform by giving a fully audible frequency response, specially at low Spls.
    He felt in my case even though these were very well liked and not relatively inexpensive (in the 20k+ range) they wouldn’t suit my taste. He’s never let me down with his advice. He didn’t once deride the capabilities of the speakers in question.

Maybe he knows more how I would fit the speakers than how the speakers would fit me.

SME12A likes this.
  14. SME12A

It would be very difficult to find a true full range speaker that perform well at low SPLs….also same speaker will sound totally different in different room/house etc…you can adjust laws of physics but cannot cheat them….that is the reason I loved bass, and treble control as well as Loudness button on Luxman amplification…

Tim Lookingbill and Khorn like this.
  15. Khorn

In one space my system was saved by a Tascam parametric.

SME12A likes this.
  16. SME12A

Awesome choice!!!!! I wish I had an access to a place that let me experiment with DSP for room equalization. I wish Accupahse is more popular in US…they have nice tools in their pocket.

Daedalus likes this.
  17. Khorn

At one point way back I lusted after and envied those with Accuphase systems.

Daedalus likes this.
  18. SME12A

I still do!!! Hahahahahaha!!! Remember - aesthetics!!! And Japanese craftsmanship :)

Mr.Sign and Daedalus like this.
  19. Khorn

Still fondly remember my Kenwood 600T tuner. Such a warm and inviting sound.

SME12A likes this.
  20. SME12A

Nostalgia plays an important role in a way we perceived sound…

Khorn likes this.
  21. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Excellent review! Excellent speakers! Nice that you’ve found the instrument that touches you on the inside as well….you know, the emotion the speakers impart. In order to receive the emotion, one must open up and that is where you and I are alike! I’m always speaking about the romance, the soul, the emotion thats imparted. But more importantly in my book..any audio hobbyists who is touched by the emotional/soul/romance of the music of TORD GUSTAVSEN must know what he is talking about! He’s one of my favorites and I own everything he has put out:)! Congrats on the new speakers and the new fresh emotion!

Art K, SME12A and timind like this.
  22. SME12A

Sir - this is refreshing post that gave me good pleasure of reading!!! Sincere - THANK YOU for that!
    Yes - many music lovers will ask you - How does it feel (instead of how does it sound) when you listen to their set-up - thats how you know you met you audio soul mates :)
    Tord is amazing guy - I saw his 3 time live in NY and spoke with him many times back when I was a Facebook user :) I also love Jan Garbarek and Kristin Asbjorsen - I wish attaching pictures would be easier here, I would love to share some snaps....ROMANCE it is my friend!!!!

Harrocks, Art K, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You’re welcome! And I’ve known the music of Jan Garbarek from the 70s when he was with Keith Jarretts European Band. There are lots of excellent Norwegian Jazz musicians like Garbarek, TORD as well as Kristin Asbjorsen.

Harrocks, bever70, Mr.Sign and 2 others like this.
  24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I remember that SamTellig ( in his former column in Stereophile magazine) wrote about Triangle speakers and considered them to be excellent. If memory serves he may have also visited a factory in France at one point. Other than Sam, the company did not get much audio press exposure in the US. He used to include the following pronunciation guide “Tri-ongle”. Priceless. I miss his humor.

Art K, timind, jonwoody and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Difficult indeed, but I achieved this goal at least to a great part.
    No alternative if you live in a 80 square meter appartment.
    Rather small speakers, rather strong amp, no subs !
    ( if interested all in profile)

SME12A likes this.