2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

That’s so high, and reflects the poor experience matched to an AT-440mlb I had with the phono stage when I owned a 2100. I’d hope they’ve reduced it considerably with the 2200, and it’s surprising & frustrating they make no mention of loading in the manual. Almost like they want to gloss over this important factor.

Shawn likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Yea, too bad the phono board isn't more accessible in these units, it's the bottom board in the back, the 220pF capacitors on the MM stage are easy to access on the board and could be easily removed just leaving the 100pF on the input, they are the two I have circled below (as mentioned, there are actually two 100pF caps on the input with different ground connections, but I think only one is used, based on the locale) ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Shawn and Halloween_Jack like this.
  3. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I was actually going to attempt this very thing when I had my 2100, as I'm pretty adept at audio DIY. But wasn't 100% sure how the circuit was configured, and didn't want to risk doing something that might actually make things worse, or a side-ways step. If I do end up getting the 2200, and can get the service manual for it, I may well give it a shot this time, even though I use a superb external stage (World Designs Phono 3/PSU 3).

4. Davey

I'd be a little reluctant modifying a new $4000 unit, but yea, a used one that is out of warranty, no problem. But whether it is worth the trouble, that is the question, there are other elements in the design that could be improved beyond just lowering the input capacitance, so only so far you can go, but the overall design does look good, and probably would sound pretty good with some minor changes.

I think that is actually the A-S3000 phono board I showed above, but they are all just about the same, just some minor differences from the A-S1100/1200 series up to the A-S3000/3200.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My 2200 is finally permanently hooked up. Haven’t gotten the TT hooked up to it yet. BUT with just my Rotel CDP Tribute , Oppo 105 D , BJC 10 AWG speaker wire , Klipsch RB 5, AQ Columbia DBS for Oppo 105D and AQ Diamondback for Rotel CDP. And Pangea AC14SE and AC14 for the Rotel. And Furman Elite 15 PFI.
    Wow. Wow. Wow. The sound is freaking spectacular. Best system I have heard in a very long time and I have had many. Bravo Yamaha. This piece sounds almost like a tube amp with out really being a tube amp and solid state at the same time. Hard to explain but well done
    Just listening to Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Spul MFSL sacd and Ben Webster AP self titled SACD. Just blown away. More impressions to come … :) :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Helom, Shawn, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Listening to GETZ/GILBERTO AP SACD a favorite of mine that always sounds great but not like this !! Holy moly .. wow. Amazing .. I can hear things I haven’t heard before in the recording. In a good way of course .. I feel like I am listening almost to the master. Can’t wait when I hook up my TT will be even more incredible to listen to my AP45 version. Yamaha has outdone themselves on the 2200. And probably the entire series of amps :)
    Chicago Transit Authority MFSL Sacd. I have never heard this album like this. Wow. So smooth yet detailed but it rocks too !!! Beginnings .. Wowza for example ..

more listening going to be happening this weekend …

hope this gives insight. But I love what I’m hearing. .. the Yamaha “sound” or whatever it is lol. ;)

OC Zed, Shawn and bluemooze like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Very glad the 2200 has made you so happy, Mike! :wave:

Bill Mac and MikeJedi like this.
  8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Review of the A-S1200:

bluemooze, RnRmf, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Holy crap .. Michael Jackson SACD …. My jaw is on the floor .. wow. The bass energy .. vocals .. clarity warmth everything. I knew this SACD was better than my Japan Pressing for USA but it is clearly superior in every way with the way I’m hearing it now. Not to say the CD is bad. It’s not. It’s just that the SACD version is another level. Probably the closest to the LP one will ever hear :)……

10. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Got my new AS-3200 amp in silver and have played music for 7 days.
    And what 7 days it has been!:love: One day I started at 9 in the evening and could hardly stop at 4 in the morning.

This amp looks fantastic and sound likewise.
    Much has been written here and in several reviews, but in a few words it sounds very clean, clear, open and transparent. And it connects me to the music in a most terrific way.

What I appreciate in audio is this:
    - lowest possible noise floor
    - highest possible resolution
    It’s a obvious connection between these two parameters.

As I said, the AS-3200 is a fantastic musical instrument, you feel really connected to music. The Yamaha team must have done a great time of listening when developed this amp. Just listen to a Steinway grand piano…or a Yamaha, they know what these instruments should sound like.:p

But this amp is also a great monitor amp. A amp telling you the truth about recording, mix and mastering in your beloved records. And flaws…I played ABBA Gold, first edition CD. First track is Dancing Queen. Yes, I have heard tape artifacts before caused by heavy tape use over the years, but not that many places. I think I heard maybe 15 places, just on this track.
    This amp also tells you everything about voices that has been Eq’ed in studio.

Today I connected my excellent tube pre-amp to it and passing the solid state pre-amp section in the AS-3200.
    Maybe I do a follow-up in this thread.

I have not tested the phono or headphone section.

My speakers are Gamut L-3, modified with state-of-the-art filter components and internal silver wiering.
    My speaker cables (bi-wiering) are pure silver, custom made. And so are my phono intercomnects.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  11. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I've had similar experiences with my 3200. It's so enjoyable to listen to that it's hard to stop listening. Congratulations on landing an exceptional piece of equipment. The love of listening with it only gets stronger.

MikeJedi and bluemooze like this.
  12. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Two years ago I bought the JBL L100 classics. Finally they will get the amp they deserve, I just pulled the trigger on a A-S2200. :goodie:
    I really don't know what to expect, if it's even a huge change. I thought my Cambridge CXA60 already sounded really good!

13. KL-lite

KL-lite Well-Known Member

MikeJedi, Clay B and bluemooze like this.
  14. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I may be repeating myself but I think that Yamaha and JBL have some wonderful synergy between them. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 2200 & L100 combo. I'm driving JBL L82's w/ a 3200 and it's remarkable to my ears.

bluemooze and MikeJedi like this.
  15. Nossi

Nossi Well-Known Member

I have a 1200 with the L82 Classics, awesome combo!

bluemooze, MikeJedi and aunitedlemon like this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Tried for kicks my old SL1200 with Denon DL110 straight into the Yamaha. Well it sounds flat and terrible. highs are just meh and very distant mids and weak bass unless it’s turned up a ton and even then. That’s probably a cart I will not be using in this system. It sounds amazing on my Zphono and Yammie av preamp and Parasound amp. Maybe the DL110 just doesn’t have enough out put for the Yammie internal MM. it’s getting me thinking I might not even mess with another HOMC like the Dyna HOMC mkii 10x5. It scares me that it won’t perform on the 2200. Maybe just maybe I will go with a AT740ML or 760 with my 1200G when I install it. It might match well with my Klipsch speaks and Yamaha amp even if supposedly the capacitance is way high and some people say too bright. It might not be because the HOMC I just tried didn’t have very much high end to speak of at least on this system. On my other system it’s different lol. But I know the Denon is not as “bright” as the AT. Of course again it could be based on the Yamaha internal MM. I should try it with the Parasound zphono just for the hell of it. But I need it for my other system and would like to use the Yamaha internal phono. I know the Yamaha internal phono has gotten really good reviews. And the sound of this thing is amazing with my digital. May just be the best to go with an AT for this particular system :). We shall see. Gotta experiment. :)

woodpigeon likes this.
  17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks!
    I could not have been more satisfied. This is an amazing amplifier.

Two last days I have connected a tube pre-amp to it. What I can say is that the power section in the AS 3200 is really good, significant better than the power section in NAD M3, also a very good sounding amp.

What I also can say is that the pre-amp section in the Yamaha is very good sounding, but probably not matching the separate C-5000 pre amp. What I have learned over the years is that solid state preamps can sound excellent, but usually they are expensive.

ether-bored and aunitedlemon like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Below is a link from Audio Circle with a listing for a Yamaha A-S2000. I seriously considered it and but reconsidered. Thought if anyone here was interested it looks like a real nice amp at a fair price. Traded a few messages with the seller and he seems like a real nice guy. I have no affiliation with the seller.

FS: Yamaha A-S2000 Integrated Amp

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  19. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I'm in deciding status what to buy for B&W 702 S2 Signature? Yamaha A-S1200 or A-S2200 What can you suggest?

20. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

Two beautiful beasts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Bananas&blow, GyroT, james and 9 others like this.
  21. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I've had the A-S2200 now for over a week. It's time to share some of my thoughts.
    What I noticed, was a HUGE improvement in soundstage, scale and depth over my Cambridge CXA60.
    It really sounds very very open, the sound seems to come from beyond the speakers left and right and behind.
    Tone wise, I would not call it a huge difference, although the Yamaha has extended bass and highs comparitively.
    Also, dynamics are not that big of an improvement IMO. It all sounds big and beautiful overall though! I'm happy!
    I have the JBL L100 classic speakers.

But I have 2 minor issues with it:
    1. The XLR input is much louder than the rca inputs, even with the 6db attenuator tuned on.
    It's not easy to match the different sources to a more or less even volume balance.
    I use an OPPO BDP-105 as a DAC and I capped the volume now at 70 (of 100), and tuned off the attenuator. That way it works fine when I switch channels to my TV with a Schiit Modi 3+ DAC.
    2. The phono stage has very low gain. It also does not sound as good as my Bottlehead Eros phono stage.
    When I switched between the phono stages I noticed a big difference.
    It is maybe a bit early for this conclusion, I need to do more tests, but I planned to use my Bottlehead anyway, so I will not do that now.
    I use an AT VM540ML cart.

If anything changes in my opinion I will let you know.

Shawn, bluemooze and aunitedlemon like this.
  22. Davey

Yea, especially in comparison to your Eros, 35dB versus 50dB, that's a pretty big difference!

And as detailed in the previous pages, the Yamaha is also a bit high on input capacitance, so isn't the best choice for cartridges like the AT-VM540ML that specify a low value load capacitance.

tagomago likes this.
  23. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

It seems like maybe someone has discussed this before, but has anyone gone from, say, the AS1100 up the line. I'm interested in thoughts and comparisons on that.

24. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Really terrific thread people, read the whole thing, a lot of positivity here.

Damn, I'd really like to get an A-S1200 or A-S2200, it would pair well with my Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers..

Dred likes this.
  25. pretzelfisch

pretzelfisch Well-Known Member

I have this combination now, I enjoy the pairing.

Reesdog likes this.