Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable: Grieg and Schumann each wrote a Piano Concerto in A Minor and they are both on this Epic "Stereorama" Gold-label LP from 1960.
    Leon Fleisher, George Szell / The Cleveland Orchestra.

[​IMG]

2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

[​IMG]
    right after listening to his unusual (to me, anyway) 5th.
    [​IMG]
    [Note to self. Fix scanner lines.]

3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Giving it a try....

Richard Wagner, Donald McIntyre, Waltraud Meier, Reginald Goodall, Phillip Joll, Warren Elsworth, Orchestra & Chorus Of The Welsh National Opera ‎– Parsifal
    EMI ‎– 27 0178 3

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Don't have a single recording by Leon Fleisher (CD or LP) but I suspect when I start listening to my big Szell Complete Columbia Recordings 106-CD box, I will run across many of them ...

layman likes this.
  5. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

That's among the ones I recently acquired, and so far I'm enjoying it. :)

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Maurice Ravel - Songs - Jessye Norman, Heather Harper, Jill Gomez, José van Dam, BBC SO, Ens. InterContemporain, Pierre Boulez - 1984

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Johannes Brahms - Piano Sonata No. 3, op. 5; Variations on a Theme by Paganini - Nelson Goerner - recorded 2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Daedalus, canzld and 5 others like this.
  8. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Not so far, but being so close to Sydney there is some nervous watching and waiting going on.

Alexlotl and 5-String like this.
  9. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: With apologies to the Wagner fans, Parsifal bored me....

Berlioz – Yvonne Minton · Placido Domingo · Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau · Jules Bastin, Chœur et Orchestre De Paris, Daniel Barenboim ‎– La Damnation De Faust
    Deutsche Grammophon ‎– 2709 087

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Schumann collection ...

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, canzld, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  11. coopmv

Back to telecommuting is not all that bad ...

TonyACT likes this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Off to a thrift in Tuggeranong shortly, last time I was there I found these for AUD $17:

[​IMG]

Listened to the Karajan and the Nabucco so far, the latter was excellent. Don't usually do so well there, but hope lives eternal :agree:

13. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player: Opera antidote :)

Brahms, Takács String Quartet ‎– String Quartets Op.51
    London Records ‎– 425 526-2

[​IMG]

Martinu, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 10 others like this.
  14. coopmv

I have that Karajan's "The Christmas Concert" CD ...

The Verdi La Traviata set with Joan Sutherland and Luciano Pavarotti should be excellent. I have their Rigoletto set ...

[​IMG]

canzld, bluemooze, jbg and 1 other person like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

David Hurwitz on the best and worst Bruckner cycles (all in his opinon , of course :)):

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...and Hurwitz on the best and worst Mahler cycles:

17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing: Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky (orch. by Ravel).
    Colin Davis / Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam

Philips LP / 1980 / Made in Holland

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, CMT, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  18. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

[QUOTE="coopmv, post: 27448088, member: 7792Too much music but too little time ... :sigh:[/QUOTE]

Truer words were never spoken.

Starwanderer, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice pic - at first glance looked like huge posters on the wall :)

20. jbg

jbg Senior Member

21. coopmv

Now playing CD19 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Runicen, canzld and 3 others like this.
  22. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: John Dunstable - Motets - The Hilliard Ensemble - recorded 1982

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H, Daedalus, canzld and 3 others like this.
  23. layman

layman Forum Resident

1st listen Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5, George Szell & the Cleveland Orchestra, Sony CD:
    [​IMG]
    I had not been aware that Szell had even recorded Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony (in stereo) until @bruce2 recommended this. The tape hiss in the background gives away the recordings analog origins. This remastering was released in 2006 and taken from a DSD down-conversion of the analog original. I wish Sony would also give us the (Hi-rez) SACD version. Those of you who have the Szell big box will have this remastering.

Listening to the first movement, I like what I am hearing so far. I hear nice (authentic sounding) string, woodwind and brass timbre. I like the way that DSD preserves the timbral qualities of the instruments. I love the contribution of the Cleveland woodwind section. They sound lively and energized and bring out the beauties of Tchaikovsky's woodwind writing. I also like the zesty contribution of the Cleveland brass section. I am noticing a cooler emotional temperature (to the interpretation) than I hear with Mravinsky (who always pushes the music to the edge of emotional hysteria).

The change in tempo and mood in the opening of the 2nd (slow) movement works well. This movement reminds me of a slow waltz, like Sibelius' Valse Triste (which may have been inspired by this). I love the way that the trombones take over the melody in the development section. I hear elements of Tchaikovsky's ballet music in this slow movement. The Cleveland brass sound really spectacular in this movement (and throughout).

I hear dance rhythms in the opening of the 3rd movement too (played at a quicker tempo). The Cleveland woodwinds continue to make a lively and welcome contribution. Szell really seems to get into the rhythms of the music. I love the dulcet tones of woodwind instruments.

The 4th movement explores the same themes as the 3rd movement but turns it into a march. I just love Tchaikovsky's sound world...the way he combines sonic texture and tone and thematic elements. If it were up to me, I would have commissioned him to write 15 Symphonies and 10 ballets. I hear something utterly original (though much imitated) in his music. I love the way this music captures an element of triumph. It's hard to believe that this incredible music came from the illiberal Czardom but perhaps it was the struggle against adversity that inspired the music. Even during the Soviet era, art found a way to flourish, though the Putin dictatorship has seemed to kill off the arts in Russia once and for all. I love the way that Tchaikovsky uses the drums and other percussion instruments. I love the way that Szell and his Clevelanders bring out these elements of the score. Well done!

The disc continue with the Capriccio Italien. I love the way that the brass instruments open the piece. I love the way that Tchaikovsky presents the "Italian" melodies that underlie the piece. I hear a great deal of excitement and verve in the interpretation. This is superb!

Wes H, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On the turntable, record 3 from "Le Chansonnier Cordiforme" performed by The Consort Of Musicke on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Emma Kirkby (soprano)
    Margaret Philpot (contralto)
    John York Skinner (countertenor)
    John Ewles (tenor)
    David Thomas (bass)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H, LaBowe, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: César Franck - Orchestral Works (Rédemption; Nocturne; Le Chasseur Maudit; Psyché; Les Éolides) - Christa Ludwig, Orchestre de Paris, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Daniel Barenboim, Ernest Ansermet - recorded 1976

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Wes H, Daedalus and 4 others like this.