What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

So far an Icon Audio MC TX SUT and Naim CD5si CD player.

struttincool likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Planning on being content with what I have. We'll see how this goes.

timind likes this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Totally agree. If I’m not satisfied now when will I ever be?

timind and George P like this.
  4. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

I second that regarding Room Perfect … owned the Lyngdorf RP-1 since 2008 :)[/QUOTE]
    It’s superb ...best upgrade I’ve ever done, the 2 subs are integrated to perfection.

5. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

I’m a participant in an experimental drug-therapy program for impulse control. Pretty sure I’m getting the placebo.

Yamaha A-S2200 a few months back. As I write this I’m waiting on a Schiit Freya+ and a pair of KLH Model 5’s.

It’s all a cry for help.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

By help you mean more money, right? ;)

7. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

That would definitely help, yes.:D

George P likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

toying with the idea of a new power amp. ill see what shakes out at AXPONA this october....

timind likes this.
  9. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I'd like to sell both my stereos and extra speakers and start from scratch in 2021. Then get one very good minimalist system for music, movies and TV, with the emphasis on music playback consisting of a powerful SS integrated amp, turntable, disc player, FM tuner and good size monitor speakers. (DAC and phono preamp if not included in amp)

10. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Really got my eye on the McIntosh MA352 hybrid tube integrated. I've been thinking of adding a 2-channel integrated to my existing multi-channel setup for awhile to take my 2-channel music up a level. I've always wanted something from Mac, but I didn't think any of their stuff supported HT bypass. I just learned the MA352 does. Thinking much more seriously about it now.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I actually had my couch custom made cause my tv in the main room was mounted fairly high. I don’t really use that tv anymore as it’s the main music room now. What a revoltin development that was.

Madness and The Pinhead like this.
  12. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

i keep looking at bigger amps even though im pushing 150wpc bi-amped already.

13. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Continually curious about 20-35W push-pull tube amps with EL84 or 6L6GC designs, a 300b amp, Sugden A21SE, and First Watt SIT-3.

Tawaun A Williams and Daedalus like this.
  14. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Just purchased some Isoacoustics Mini Pucks, do not know where l am going to place them in my system yet though.

15. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

I wasn't planning on any upgrades, but a pair of Dali Euphonia MS5 for sale caught my eye, while a buyer for my MS4s was on hand, so made the swap, and could not be happier.
    Even my wife agreed that I should buy them :D
    My bank account disagrees, though.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Was not planning any purchases this year, but then a chain of events began with the tube phono in my downstairs system going in for service and my old "backup" integrated then also failing.

End result is I will be upgrading the Elicit-R amp in my Rega system to the Aethos. Super excited...

17. avanti1960

i heard it and it sounds very nice. even the 252 sounds great. they hit it out of the park with these hybrids.
    the styling and packaging for me unfortunately does not work.

18. avanti1960

sugden has me curious too, unfortunately they discontinued their affordable power amp.

19. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I was not planning on purchasing anything else for the year, but we had some people housesitting for us while we were in Italy. The husband said he was familiar with turntables, so I left basic instructions with the caveat that he must always use the cueing level on the TT. Told him that the stylus was pretty expensive.

Came home, dropped the needle on an album and it slid right off the record. Hmm, tried that again and same thing.

I thought, “surely he didn’t mess with the arm settings.” I took a closer look at the stylus and it was bent totally sideways. Tried to fix it, but it was almost flopping around it was so bent.

Ordered a replacement Ortofon OM black stylus and all is well. But it cost me $570. Big time lesson learned. No more stereo privileges for houseguests.

And, we asked them about the record player, but the wife said they were too intimidated to use it. My guess is the husband tried to give it a spin while she was out.

Slimwhit33, timind and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I would like some new cables. I'm using some that are longer than they need to be. As a result, things look a bit messy.

Ingenieur likes this.
  21. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I'm kind of kicking myself now for not just picking up a SIT-3 when several were listed used earlier in the year for around $3K. Reading The Audiobeatnik's 2019 review of the Sugden A21SE I see he included this within his conclusions: "No amp is perfect and neither is the Sugden A21SE Signature. In my opinion, though, it’s as perfect as you are going to get for less than $7,500. My reference LTA MZ3 preamp and First Watt SIT 3 amp beat the A21SE Signature at its own game."

My plan would be to use the SIT-3 with my VAC Ren MKV preamp which would likely not only perform better than the Sugden but likely better than using an LTA preamp as well. So now I just need to find a SIT-3 at the right price....patience....patience.

22. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Yes, agreed on the sound. Heard it playing through some Martin Logan Impressions. The sound really drew me in. Not sure how much was the speakers and how much the integrated, but I've heard the ML/McIntosh combination many times and it always sounded amazing to me. The two seem to be a good match. I'll admit it -- I'm a sucker for the glowing green tubes and the big blue VU meters. The chrome front panel fingerprint magnet? Maybe not so much. But that's what the remote control is for. LOL

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. avanti1960

heard one with klipsch forte iii, perfect synergy. also the b&w diamond floor standers. pair well with brighter speakers.
    i would have loved a more conventional chassis with tubes behind glass, would have bought it on the spot.

24. KaiFi

KaiFi Well-Known Member

I need a new pair of headphones. My Audioquest NightOwls are starting to fall apart. I'm looking at the Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed as a good pair of closed-back balanced headphones that could serve as an upgrade.

Also would like a new headphone amp/DAC, maybe the Topping EX5.

Lastly, I'm interested in the Technics SL-100C, but it doesn't look like it'll be available in the U.S. any time soon...

25. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Not planning anymore, because I ordered one already. I'm changing my MoFi Ultratracker cart to Audio Technica VM740ML.

Ingenieur likes this.