'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

If you check on the item it is released on the 27th August but estimated delivery 2nd September.

2. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Yep, from Amazon.de. Expansions still August 13th.

Eamon likes this.
  3. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Our worst nightmare!

dastinger likes this.
  4. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Playing an old Tone poet and hopefully a future Tone Poet this morning in anticipation of the next Tone Poet to replace my bad copy of Expansions.
    I am a little bummed though if Sonny Clark is delayed, but one is better than none.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sonny Clark, delayed? I wonder why my local store said it showed as in stock...Will call them again when they open up later.

And now I'm very sad to hear some are not digging McCoy Tyner's "Expansion's". The joy of streaming and thinking, nope, this music is not doing it for my ears. Well as a wise man once told me, he who streams and makes up their mind without putting it on your TT for a proper spin, will miss out on many wonderful records that actually come alive when you sit in your sweet spot and digest the proper way.

As a example...Last Friday my wife sampled the new Los Lobos record "Native Sons". She told me the music was boring and just was not impressed. I told her "balderdash" your ears have deceived you. Well two full listens later on our main system, she loves it big time.

Featuring Woody Shaw on trumpet who of course has played on Iron Man, Peace Treaty, Passing Ships, and Cape Verdean Blues to name a few. We also get Wayne Shorter and Ron Carter on cello no less. "Expansions" is such an enjoyable affair, I just couldn't stand not having this wonderful record in my collection.

Okay, am I full of myself this morning, most likely, but my friends, I plead with you to not give up on this awesome record.

mktracy, Swann36, Kimiimacman and 7 others like this.
  6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

McCoy Tyner's "Expansions" was never a favorite of mine either so I don't see myself spending another $30 for a new vinyl cut of it. The CD is good enough for me.

I do plan to pick up Clark's "My Conception" but I am waiting to hear if it is a good cut before plunking down my money. I have lost confidence in the Blue Note QC team. I hope they didn't miss anything on this one.

7. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

How some folks want to pass on McCoy Tyner's Expansions is truly a riddle to me. We are talking of one of the greatest jazz musicians EVER. Expansions is one of his most interesting works and is going to be reissued with the audiophile treatment FOR THE FIRST TIME. C'mon guys show McCoy some love! :D

8. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Maybe delayed overseas? Mine still shows up for delivery on Aug 10th.

rob303 and scotti like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Amazon has consistently been receiving Tone Poets a little late.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Bags Unlimited makes a variety of sizes, from 12-5/8" x 12-5/8" to 13" x 13". I haven't found anything that doesn't fit in the 13 x 13 unless it comes in a box.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Some are watching their $$$ which I truly respect. But I will not stream/sample Jazz records. If I am familiar with the artist or any other of the musicians on a given record and I like them, most always an instant buy. But I'm also fortunate to have a fairly large collection of Jazz CDs, so more times than not I'm already familiar with the music, unless Joe digs way down deep into his magical chest of undiscovered gems.

Just got off the phone with my local store and the Sonny Clark is indeed in stock.

mktracy, Swann36, Crazysteve and 2 others like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is consistently showing Aug 6 as their arrival date for My Conception and Expansions, I would expect to receive a shipping notification on Friday.

As a general rule I never preview a record before ordering it rather preferring the strategy to like you say "...records that actually come alive when you sit in your sweet spot and digest the proper way" with the exception of the Horace Tapscott record Dial 'B' for Barbara which should be arriving by Friday. I've read a lot about Tapscott but never heard his music so I listened for about 2 minutes to the title track and made up my mind.

Jeffrey Weiss, mktracy and scotti like this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I just checked my Amazon order for My Conception. Releasing Aug. 6, expected delivery Aug. 11. Maybe Amazon's order was allocated, maybe they aren't getting it all at once, maybe they've prioritized earlier orders. There are lots of vagaries in the music distribution business these days.

14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I cannot at all understand why someone needs "main system" treatment of a record in order to know if they like it. It does an incredible disservice to the music itself, which can be fully appreciated and understood without hearing every nuance of every instrument to the fullest extent possible. In fact I would say that people who need this are just listening to gear and not to the music anyway. Don't get me wrong, I want the music I like to sound as good and as pleasing as possible - as I know you do too - but if I'm not into something then I'm not into it, and streaming something (or playing the CD) instead of good vinyl would never under any circumstances make a difference.

That said, I do like Expansions and have ordered it. Not one of Tyner's handful of best, IMO, but really good, and he made so many really good ones that picking a top 5 or so is very competitive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Listening to the gear and not the music? I'm staying out of that debate, because to me that makes absolutely no sense, but of course I will respect your view. That's what this forum represents, different views from the members. And I'm not saying you can't figure out if you like the music or not by streaming.

But I get so much more from a well mastered record sitting in my sweet spot from my main stereo than streaming the same title off my secondary system upstairs.

IanL, mktracy, Swann36 and 8 others like this.
  16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

My Amazon orders of Clark and Tyner still show as arriving on Friday, 8/6. They may get pushed back yet, we'll see.

But I think pre-orders often exceed the initial allotment that Amazon receives. So they must have to prioritize shipments by order date or some other measure.

17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Do you not see how illogical this statement is? Furthermore, I don’t understand the need to judge the way other people (in this instance a board members *wife*) listen to and enjoy music.

For some albums I didn’t truly appreciate them until I was able to listen on a full system. Precisely because the details and nuance matter and can take an ordinary record and make it interesting and exciting. If that’s not been your experience, great! Whatever works for you is fine.

mktracy, mikemoon, soundboi and 4 others like this.
  18. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

mktracy and Swann36 like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Dignan2000, mktracy, Swann36 and 2 others like this.
  20. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

I like the music on it. It’s the first Mono Tone Poet and the second I know since Jutta Hipp on the BN80 reissues. Correct?

21. <moderator edit>

I’m pretty sure nearly everybody reading this thread knows what you mean and have experienced it themselves to some extent. I know I have.

Listening to an LP is an experience in and of itself, I get much more from it than streaming. Sound quality, system, setting, etc matter immensely in how much of the music you actually hear. If anything, the changes in the way people listen to music, the brick walled masterings, and making stuff sound good for car stereos or cheap ear buds, is what does a huge disservice to the music. I doubt RVG was concerned with how his music would sound at 120 kB/s being streamed to an iPhone in a vehicle or to cheap Apple ear buds.

mktracy, timzigs, mikemoon and 6 others like this.
  22. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I only know of two; Introducing Kenny Burrell and Chet Baker Sings (there's a few more in the list of upcoming releases). But yeah, pretty rare!

mktracy and David Sonnier like this.
  23. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

I believe you are correct. But the picture of the cover on the Blue Note web site looks like it reads "Stereophonic Hi-Fidelity" but is really "Strobophonic."
    Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan - Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mullig – Blue Note Records
    o_O Had me fooled for a minute. The stereo versions on Discogs say "electronically re-channeled to simulate stereo," which in English means stay away, stay very far away!

mktracy, indyalden and scotti like this.
  24. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

My Sonny Clark still shows “arriving Friday” on Amazon. Fingers crossed!

And I too am very excited about “Expansions”! I listened yesterday on my crappy Sonos and found it completely engaging. On my analog system it’s bound to be absolutely magical.

mktracy, mikemoon, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  25. JP

JP Forum Resident

I'm seeing Aug 6th and 11th for Expansions and Conception.