'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Yeah I think the delay in My Conception is a European thing (plus maybe some random Amazon supply issues in places). It was delayed three times quite recently, first the global one from beginning of July to beginning of August, then Aug 7 -> 17, and then again today. But we're pretty close now, so hopefully this will be the last time :)

Eamon likes this.
  2. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Given I ordered as soon as it was up on Amazon UK it isn't that. Though possible UK are getting a later shipment than the US.

Swann36 likes this.
  3. bresna

bresna Senior Member

What is illogical is thinking that someone can go from disliking a song to liking it just because of the playback system. I listen to my music on many platforms. From my car to my back deck to my work PC to my audio system, I love Hank Mobley's "Soul Station". I don't dislike it because I use some tinny little speaker on my cell phone. The inverse is also true.

Sure, a good audio system will present music at its best but if you don't like it, nothing in the audio system will change that.

Aeryn Sun, capesq, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  4. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Regarding McCoy Tyner’s Expansions.

This is a great post-bop record, well recorded (Rudy), performed by outstanding players.

If I didn’t already have the BN75 version (no issues) and the 1988 flat transfer CD I would snap it up.

Just sayin’.

5. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Expansions is indeed well recorded. The original RVG cut sounds very good already. I'm really looking forward to see what JH and KG can do with this one. I was very pleased with Tender Moments.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Geez, I preordered it for $19 and change on Amazon. It's still only $22-something. I'm actually streaming it now for the first time. I imagine that I'll get something out of it for that little dough.

7. Music is art. Do you think you can appreciate a Van Gogh the same from a google thumbnail as you can seeing it in person? Of course not.

For music you love, of course you will enjoy it any where. But if it’s something you are on the fence with, or the musical ideas being conveyed just haven’t “clicked” yet, I think it’s entirely reasonable that if they heard it in its best presentation they may get it. It my grow on them.

If someone told me The Starry Night is a crap painting, but they only saw a google thumbnail on their phone, I would certainly take their opinion with a grain of salt. If they were to take a trip to MoMA and see the real deal, they may feel quite differently. On the other hand, I personally love Starry Night and so even seeing a google thumbnail evokes some emotion for me personally.

Music, like art, is not black and white. It is a living document of emotions and ideas. Any number of things can cause a listener to finally “get it”, and appreciate the music like they hadn’t previously. That could be SQ, their emotional state of being, their setting, or actually just focusing on the album as a whole. That doesn’t happen for most individuals nearly as often when streaming something. LP playback often provides a better experience in all of those areas mentioned.

8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Very well stated, thank you

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm with you on the one BIG TIME! Through a great system with a great mastering, the music can REALLY come to life in a way that it won't when flattened out via the internet. That's not a guarantee that you'll love something that you didn't like when listening over the inter-tubes, but I have had a record go from "meh" to 'excellent' when heard with a great pressing. I have mentioned that there were songs on albums I had known well that I sort of dismissed over their standard pressings. But getting a better sounding pressing allowed me to hear certain songs which I had dismissed come to life. I had a new found appreciation for them. Not that it made think the songs were now awesome, but I liked them and appreciated them much more when the dynamic life and richness were unleashed.

10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

If I could find it for €22, I'd snatch it in a blink of an eye. What I meant was not falling in love with it enough to justify €35/40 (that's almost $50 USD) on top of the same price for My Conception that I'm definitely getting. To me, it was not that essential.

11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i dont think this is a good comparison. Of course seeing the actual painting in person is completely different, its the actual painting. Streaming vs cd vs record is completely different. With your comparison wed have the physical medium vs seeing the band/musician live in person.

id think seeing Tyner perform in person anyone here would be greatly impressed just like seeing a Van Gogh in person, vs viewing/listening in our basements on whatever we choose.

A thumbnail of Starry night on phone vs laptop vs 4k tv is the comparison youre looking for.

he is comparing listening systems, not live vs live.

Bradd likes this.
  12. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

Does someone else here wishes that the next TP batch will include more Ike Quebec titles? (For me Born to be Blue is pretty much an Ike title as it is a GG title)

mktracy, Record Fan, jmadad and 2 others like this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

There aren’t very many Ike Quebec titles, and the LPs have all been done, but I’d welcome a collection of his jukebox singles.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. Wait if I see Starry Night in person it does a performance as well?! Need to get back out to NY ASAP.

No the album is the art, seeing the musician perform is a different piece of art all together. The analogy is perfectly apt. You are seeing the art in its full intention, with all the detail and nuance that goes along with it, compared a version where that nuance is obscured. The fine details are a big part of the art and shouldn’t be dismissed.

15. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

I think we may be forgetting that "buying something before you hear it first" is a pretty time-tested behavior for music lovers. I can recall as a teenager anticipating a new album and turning off the radio in a panic if it was playing a single from a highly anticipated album. For something like that I was diligent about getting the [gasp] CD first and listening intently to the entire album in my car or on my home stereo.

The pleasure of taking a chance on something based on a recommendation, existing affinity with prior works, etc is not new. It seems a bit odd that we'd be criticizing folks for taking a chance on having a totally unexpected, memorable experience listening to something for the first time. Especially when the records we're talking about basically appreciate in value as soon as you acquire them, even after you open them!

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Ironically, for me, it was the start of the Tone Poet series that showed my ears the fruitless endeavor of streaming the music first. For a new release for instance, I get it. But for Blue Notes, let alone a very well curated series of Blue Notes, streaming does little justice for me.

I quickly learned my lesson and no streaming necessary. Most of the time I’m then not only happy with the release, but put into musical bliss.

17. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

Some were done as 45 or on non audiophile reissues

18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Maybe we can petition Steve Hoffman to shut down the forum, and continue the discussion by writing letters.
    I used to like checking my mailbox for correspondence.

Jeff449, Biff Jones and dastinger like this.
  19. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

Touché?

uzn007, Dai and DeRosa like this.
  20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I agree. I stream to sample but by no means is it the only influence on my purchase. I take a lot of chances on unfamiliar jazz titles even if the stream doesn't blow me away. Sometimes I spend weeks off/on with a title to give it time to grow with me.

If I decide to purchase which is probably 90% of the time with Tone Poet and Acoustic Sounds Series, I rarely regret it. When I play it at home on the record player (because I'm buying a record and not a stream) it typically comes to life in a different way. Does it make a bad album good, no but it does bring the music we love to life in a different way.

As an added bonus and luxury we get Joe's ear and curation plus Kevin's mastering and cutting skills at a value based price which is a gift that is hard to pass up.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  21. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

:righton::righton::righton:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I stream these releases before buying unless it’s an artist I already like. Or if people here express a lot of excitement about upcoming releases. Katanga, for example.

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone like Carmell Jones, Pacific Jazz.

mktracy, Eamon and Jack Francis like this.
  24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I'm not sure about that, at least in my own experience. This forum is often hostile to streaming, but in some cases, I have actually enjoyed an album more when I put effort into listening. Of course, that doesn't mean it has to be a physical medium (I can get just as good an experience out of streaming thru one of my stereos), but that does happen. I guess when I think of streaming, I think of it on my Macbook USB computer speakers, which actually aren't bad. But then i play the same song thru a vintage receiver and some decent speakers, and I sometimes like the music more. Other times, it grabs me while streaming it. I recently got some Edifier powered desktop speakers that are excellent.

Also, hearing a song I don't like but on a good stereo sometimes gets me to reconsider.

But I still stream almost everything before I buy it. Don't want to? Fine, don't.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sorry, but when/where? I’m not aware of Ike Quebec’s jukebox singles being pressed to vinyl since Mosaic did the complete set.