Rotel CD11 Tribute Disc Reading Difficulties

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My CD11 Tribute is starting to have a strange problem more often. I will put a disc in and the display will show "loading" for quite a long time. Sometimes it will just end up showing "error" on the display. Other times it will appear that it is ready to play but once I hit the Play button, I get nothing but a bunch of skipping. If I power off with the front power button and back on, the problem remains. If I remove the power cord completely and then plug back in, it returns to normal operation for a day or so.

Anybody else experience this?

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Either dirt on the spindle, which is making the cds not sit flat on the spindle, or your having spikes in the ac outlet. Pop the top cover and get some scotch tape out. Break off a piece and go around the spindle with it, picking off any dirt particles.
    Also, the factory power cord is low quality and fits loose, if you have a spare from another unused component use that one and make sure it inserts firmly.
    Then take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.
    Beave.
    My unit is having no symptoms. Using it right now.
    And if you don’t use a power conditioner, get one! You need it.
    Beave

3. rockin_since_58

I am using a Pangea AC14 XL power cord. I do have a Monster power conditioner but not using it. I really feel that this is a software issue as it resolves itself if I unplug and plug back in. I spoke with MD today about the issue and they are going to contact Rotel to see if anyone else is reporting the same issue and to see if there is a firmware update that may address this issue.

The Beave and luckybaer like this.
  4. The Beave

No “issue” that I know of. Push MD to send you a new unit. I’ve got 2 of these and there have been no issues at all.
    The other thing is if it’s in the menu, reset it to default. Leave it unplugged for 30 min then see what happens.
    Beave

5. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

I had this issue with the first CD11 (not the Tribute) I bought and replaced it for another on the same day. The second unit has not had any problems.

6. The Beave

There u go.
    Beave

7. Get it replaced. I have heard a lot of stories like this.

George P likes this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I would get a replacement from MD. I have not has any issues …..MD is very good with replacements abs such so hopefully they take care of it for ya fairly quickly :)

George P likes this.
  9. rockin_since_58

Gonna give MD a chance to get feedback from Rotel before trying to ask for a replacement.

10. rockin_since_58

Nothing in the menu for a reset. I will leave it unplugged for a few hours and see if that has any effect. The problem only happens every few days.

The Beave likes this.
  11. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

I've always wondered if it is a firmware issue. If that's the case, how do you upgrade the firmware on a CD player.

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I believe there is a service insert of some kind on the back of the Rotel for firmware. But I am not 100 percent sure. I need to look in the manual

13. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

It's the RS232 port and is used to connect to a computer. However, my research suggests that there is no current firmware upgrade.

MikeJedi likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Try disconnecting from the mains for several hours which should clear the memory completely. These players are more like a computer these days and it's possible something has been corrupted. Random skipping is one symptom from experience. Unplugging for few minutes did not work but leaving unpowered for a day did solve the issue.

15. rockin_since_58

I left unplugged for several hours but have only played a few discs since then. Will just have to keep monitoring to see how it goes.

16. rockin_since_58

Correct, current firmware version is 1.01 which is what my unit has installed.

17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Firmware can probably be done by CD or download from Rotel I would think

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Yes ...... I have two of these and the second one I bought did exactly as you described today, ages to load then error. I get random skips every now and then as well. My other player though, never had an issue. The same CD that gets the loading/error in the problem player, loads and plays no problem.

So, I'm taking it back. Had it less than a year. Not sure if I want it repaired, exchanged for a new one or a store credit. Not sure if they'll offer a refund. At least I've still got a player to use. A shame there seems to be some hic-ups with certain players as it's a great player when working as it should.

A bummer ....... :shake:

The Beave likes this.
  19. rockin_since_58

Hopefully you can get an exchange as a repair would be a hassle to ship back to a service center. I was fortunate that I was able to get Music Direct to exchange it after having it about 5 months.

20. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Not had any problems reading discs, but jeez it's v-e-r-y slow doing so....

21. Rod11

Rod11 New Member

Yes. I am having the same problem with long load times. Sometimes showing "error" after long loading, or often starting to skip around after it appears to be ready after long loading. No issues for a few months. Then very occasional issues started. Now it is happening frequently with CD's it use to play. I purchased my CD11 Tribute in Nov 2021 from Crutchfield. So it is very new and should not have an issue with dirt particles.

The Beave likes this.
  22. rockin_since_58

I purchased mine from Music Direct and had it about 6 months before it got really bad. They did exchange it for a new which hasn't given me any trouble. Push Crutchfield to replace it.

The Beave likes this.
  23. Blackspider

Blackspider Active Member

Did you get a replacement? Any idea what was the issue?

24. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

My Cd11 tribute has a disc read problem everyday now. I Sent it in 6 months ago and they never found an issue (total BS lie in my opinion) I got the CD player back and the first thing it did when I plugged it in was skip a disc. The shop they contract with is extremely unprofessional and rude. They should consider using another shop for the west coast repairs. I got some jerk off in Los Angeles who was extremely rude to me when I called. I paid for shipping to have my time WASTED

Fast forward to today 2 year warranty is up and it still has disc read issues except 2 to 4 times a day now. Normal clean new discs doesn't matter.

I don't like how Music Direct or Rotel handled my issue at all. I will never go back to Music Direct or buy Rotel again. EVER. not worth the headache. They gas lighted me and made me feel crazy until the warranty period was up. "We cant find any issue" I dont think they plugged the mother sucker in and even tested it. It skips all the time.

I can't edit the review I wrote on Music Direct. Now I look like a schmuck saying a poor quality product is the bees knees. I feel used.

I'm looking forward to the day of the schiit CD transport. I can say good bye to these Japanese Corporate scum bags who clearly don't care about the consumer.

This whole ordeal has left a bad taste for hi fi in my mouth. I have been enjoying player guitar and collecting watches in my spare time now.

Kind regards,

Avoid this POS at all costs

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Rushboy likes this.
  25. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

I will never buy anything from Rotel again.
    My CD 14 MKII just went out.
    Sent it to Rotel for repair, when it came back the same problem again.

tonymichaels and Gizmo90 like this.