Missing out on MOFI’s Jeff Beck Truth

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ddgi, Aug 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddgi

ddgi Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is an awful lot of complaining about missing out on titles because they sell out too fast. I’m curious, how many releases have you missed out on in the last 5 years because they sold out in a day? Personally, I think I’ve missed out on maybe 3 releases in five years and I purchase about 20 titles or so a year on line. That’s 60+ records and very few that were missed. I can live with that track record.

I understand that people outside the USA may have different issues, so my comments may not pertain to them.

I’m not on Instagram, I’m not on Twitter and I’m not on Facebook. I avoid social media. But yet I’m still able to purchase releases when they’re released.

I read the MOFI 1-step thread regularly, and lately the thread has been taken over by people complaining about missing out on MOFI’s, Jeff Beck Truth, which is not a 1-step.
    I ordered it back in November of 2020. I think it was in Music Direct’s catalog, but I don’t remember and I don’t have the catalog anymore.
    They don’t charge your credit card until it ships, so what is the big deal about placing an order and waiting for it to be released?
    I give Music Direct a call every few months to see if anything new is up for pre order and I read this forum regularly. So without social media and without too much effort one is able to get the releases that they want.
    I can’t be the only one with this experience, I’m just not that lucky.

Crimson Witch and mikemoon like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think generally with so many releases, people often have to choose what they want out of many things. The idea used to be, "I'll get these, this week, and I'll grab those next week" or something along those lines. Sadly these days, next week often doesn't come.
    Unfortunately I have missed out on a few things, but that is because I am not made of money, and have bills to pay.

iloveguitars and mikemoon like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

The two latest Mofi SACD releases by Jeff Beck and Alan Parsons Project are each "awaiting repress," despite not being out very long. This seems to be a new issue for the label, as their previous SACD releases were available for quite a long time after being released. I suspect that this could be COVID related, but rather than guess, I sure wish the label would just explain what is going on to their customers.

4. ddgi

I completely understand financial constraints. I’ve passed on albums that I had deemed way too expensive.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The main thing to me is, you used to have time to get some money together. These days it seems like if you don't pre-order, you miss out. It's pretty sad really.

6. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have been buying audiophile reissue LPs for the last 15 years (alongside regular new releases and old stuff too). In that time I have missed out on 3 titles that I wanted to buy but couldn't as they were sold out. That's a pretty good record I think. Having said that all 3 were in the last 6 months, when the audiophile vinyl world seems to be going crazy. As stated already, you used to have a lot of time, now you don't. It's a good problem to have for the audiophile labels to have, but it's a problem all the same.

7. ddgi

By the way, if you pre order and the record takes nine months to come out, you have plenty of time to change your mind and cancel since Music Direct does not charge your card until it ships.

I have had a different problem. I’ve pre ordered from Music Direct and 6 month later MOFI sends out an email announcing a pre order for the same title, the problem is that I had already forgotten that I had pre ordered from Music Direct and then place the order with MOFI.

I really should make sure I’ve had coffee before making purchase decisions.

marcb likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Imagine if they'd just done a normal LP, they could've pressed twice as many. :sigh:

9. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

Posted this on another thread - I managed to find an independent in the Netherlands who is taking pre-orders for the MFSL 45rpm. I think if you have a search around, esp for small stores in Europe, you weirdly might have a chance...

(And that sound you heard was me, crossing my fingers).

10. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Number 2156 just arrived from MD will give it a spin tonight.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Mine is on it's way. Curiously it's far from impossible to still buy copies in the UK.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have an account at Music Direct. My orders show up on the order page. The only problem is that some orders go way down the list, like over a year.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I passed up on the Classic Records Led Zeppelin 45rpm boxset, because of financial restraints at the time. I also thought Classic Records might release the 45rpm records separately. Wrong! Of course there are other releases I pass on because of cost. Most of the time an expensive boxset.

I haven't missed out on any titles that I really wanted in recent years. I understand how the game is played.

masterbucket and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. ddgi

I missed out on that one too. I do have many of the Classic Records though. All of the 33rpm Zeppelin’s.

15. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

giantleech likes this.
  16. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Was the Nilsson Schmilsson LP announced prior to availability? I thought only the SACD was announced, and the LP just suddenly appeared. I managed to grab a copy directly from MFSL, but it seemed odd.

17. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

I had the MOFI Truth on my want list having enjoyed an audio cassette version of it 25 years back. I don’t know how I missed it, but somehow I did. I was bummed about it, but then I realized how cheap the originals are. Picked one up for 8 bucks and couldn’t be happier. Sounds awesome! I have been lucky scoring other limited releases, but you can’t win them all. Take it as an opportunity to investigate picking up an alternate pressing for the same release is my advice. These audiophile releases are so expensive you’ll usually find a good alternative for the same price or less.

18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Do we really believe that all 5000 copies of Truth have been pressed or are all accounted for now in pre-orders/recent order offerings or do we expect that MOFI will have at least one more (possibly several) 15 minute window-of-opportunity-to-order if/when they put out another "for sale" announcement?

zongo likes this.
  19. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m not believing all 5,000 have been pressed/distributed. While I don’t think this will be on the same level of telephone game hysteria created when people insisted there was only going to be 1,000 copies or whatever of the 1/2 speed Exile On Main St (which is both still in print and not particularly good), my gut tells me - like is often the case - only a partial sized press was done initially. And the production capacity issues which have causes backups throughout the industry are preventing a quick resupply.

I bought a copy from a local retailer a couple of weeks ago, so it is definitely not true that all copies (even in the US) were sold pre-order direct thru MFSL/Music Direct.

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Both of the MoFi SACD copies of Truth I bought were from the same record shop - neither were special-ordered by me, they just happened to be in stock - on two separate visiting occasions about three weeks apart. One should not assume all numbered copies of a limited print-run, such as 2,OOO to 3,OOO , are going strictly to those who pre-order individually by mail. Distributors are buying up multiple copies of each title for the brick-and-mortar record dealers they service.

22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I used to be one of those clever fellows who would wait for one of those swell 10% or (even better) 15% sales to hit retailer sites before stocking up on all the recent MOFI releases I was looking to get.

Then that Iron Butterfly LP came and went in a relative flash with no % off sale to be found.

I used to be resistant to making phone calls to MD, preferring to just wait for an item to be made available for ordering on the websites. Then I'd try to order from the website and before I could complete my order the page would pop up with the item relegated to "sold out" status.

Now I'm on the phone with all you other cats as soon as an album (that interest me) is even so much as rumored to be planned for release.

[​IMG]

23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

For anyone in the UK who wants this or indeed pretty much any MOFI, Diverse Vinyl are wonderful. I have been buying from them for 15 years plus, with zero issues.

24. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Music Direct will gladly sell you a copy now for $100...

25. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

why anyone puts up with Mofi's awful operating policies is beyond me. their product is not that good in my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.