Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In terms of the last one, I always thought Green seemed like a comedian with a probable short shelf life.

Like Andrew Dice Clay and Pauly Shore, Green's shtick offered limited room to grow and annoyed a lot of people. He was always polarizing, and unless he found a way to evolve/reinvent, he wasn't likely to maintain a successful career.

Clay has managed to reinvent himself as a "real actor" at least, with recent roles in the Gaga "Star Is Born" and Woody Allen's "Blue Jasmine"...

2. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

It's too bad Chevy never played McEnroe.

[​IMG]

JediJones and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Agreed on Green, although I think the movie still ended whatever popularity he had sooner than would have otherwise happened if he hadn’t made it.

4. Oatsdad

Could be! :)

Never saw the movie - and don't think I missed anything!

5. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

Hamlin never registered for me, and kind of seemed like an ‘80s relic. I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed his guest performances on Mad Men, though. He exhibited a pretty fine comic touch and fit in really well with the rest of the cast.

Matthew Tate and MrGrumpy like this.
  6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea. I checked his filmography since ~2000 on IMDB, and it's pretty thin. Appeared as himself in several projects. Has done some voice work. Had his own (short-lived) series. The two you list are easily his most impressive credits. I wonder if he's still doing standup to help pay the bills? In these polarized times, there's probably a whole new audience for his schtick.

7. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

As blasphemous as it may sound, I describe it as a combination of Cinema Paradiso and The NeverEnding Story. One of those self-conscious action films that include Commando, Predator, and The Last Boy Scout.

Titanic would've worked better as a film if 2/3 of it had focused on character drama and the shipwreck portion with the action had been brief. Basing the main plot on class warfare might not have been original, but the last half of the film just doesn't work. It's missing tension for some reason, and at times even seems comical. Too much pathos.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I totally enjoyed the shipwreck portion. But then again I was rooting for the iceberg.

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I liked how they basically blamed the whole disaster on Rose and Jack distracting the lookouts.

10. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

He appeared in an episode of Babylon 5.

Nothing compared to Anthony Perkins's murder weapon in Crimes of Passion, "Superman".

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

The Misfits for Clark Cable.
    Clark should never have insisted on doing such incredibly over strenuous work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

...The story goes that Clark Gable's insistence for doing some of his own tough stunt scenes in the movie (which did not help his heart condition) was largely due to the sheer and utter boredom and frustration he was experiencing of being stuck in the middle of the northern Nevada desert on a troublesome film set which was continually hindered by a very difficult Marilyn Monroe who was not only going through the breakdown of her marriage to Arthur Miller at the time but who was also suffering a breakdown of her own mental health in the process. Things got so bad that the movie production was actually shut down in August 1960 while Monroe went to hospital for two weeks to treat her disorder.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Michael Powell - Peeping Tom, sadly

fr in sc likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Christmas Vacation is a highly regarded holiday classic. It is a yearly ritual for a LOT of people.

15. Luke The Drifter

I would argue it was Lady In The Water that’s did it. The Village made a bunch of money, and it is one of our favorites (Great mood, great acting). I think it was improperly sold as a horror film.

Lady in the Water was terrible in every way and flopped. I am glad he has made a nice comeback.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Battlefield Earth" has been mentioned, but spare a thought for director Roger Christian who was the captain of that particular Titanic.

He was a production designer/second unit dir. on a couple of the "Star Wars" films, and "BE" was evidently his debut as a feature director...probably also his swan song.
    Imagine being "the first time director" of a film with a high profile actor who is VERY in charge of the material...regardless of how Christian's skill level is, it must have been daunting.

C.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I don't care about the later actresses career but the last Ghostbusters killed a very big name in the movie history.
    Whoever will dares to remake of Back to the Future is like committing suicide...:yikes:

JediJones likes this.
  18. Luke The Drifter

It is really not that hard. Modern westerns work when they have a great story, great acting and a modest budget. The Lone Ranger has a great story. A group of Texas Rangers is betrayed. He life is saved by a Native American and they become best friends. The Lone Ranger becomes a symbol of good, bringing criminals to justice with the aid of Tonto. That story would easily work if it was done in the manner of the True Grit remake or Open Range.

Instead they made it a big budget action movie. They cast Johnny Depp?! as Tonto (who I assume is not actually a native), and made the Lone Ranger a buffoon.

19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Rollerball" (2002):

Director John McTiernan went from being everyone's action darling with "Predator", "Die Hard" and "Hunt for Red October" to not only sinking with this much-recut flop, but going to jail over wiretapping charges against the producer.
    To put the cherry on top, he had to declare bankruptcy while in prison.

Ostensibly he is "still working"...

C.

JediJones and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Who? Paul Feig? :confused:

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

22. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Holy cow, it's quite a story.

John McTiernan - Wikipedia

He was first charged in 2006, but didn't enter prison until 2013. Seven years of legal wrangling.

23. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Not sure if they've been mentioned

Vic Morrow The Twight Light Zone
    Brandon Lee The Crow

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Didn't she have a TV show after that with Richard Mulligan? Then her bipolar raised its ugly head.......

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Don't know, by then, I wasn't really watching TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.