Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nacho? Great character.

2. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

He had good insight in commentary on dvds, sounds like a thoughtful actor. His approach to some of the scenes made them better than maybe what was written on the page.
    Who were the duds in BB in your opinion?

misterjones likes this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

I suspect I could identify a few more who were not regulars.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Ok, imo they were believable in their parts.

alexpop likes this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think the casting was done very well, if not to perfection. In making Gail such an idiosyncratic guy--what with his love for opera, tea and vegetarian food--that character was a bit too weird for me, but not a dud. I blame it more on Gilligan/Gould than the casting or anything else. They sometimes get too carried away with their own character setup. We get it--he's idiosyncratic. No need to go overboard. They get away with it because "man's man" Hank sees Gail's video and laughs at him in a demeaning way. But of course Hank is a cliche as well right from the start.

6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes I could see that in hindsight but feel they are more guilty of that in BCS. Seemed to fall in love with some gimmicks like the ultra nerd with the yellow Hummer. That was tiresome to me when it aired, not bad on dvd rematch but definitely they could of edited that sort of stuff more.

7. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Now starting season 3 and great introduction to Gus.
    A little too much of Mike trying to exact revenge on Hector but played better in this rewatch . Like to see how it is to watch that whole sequence about constructing meth lab again.
    Few thoughts on season 2-
    Some great scenes between Chuck and Jimmy about Mesa Verde. Also really strong scene when Kim tells Chuck how she feels and that she's sorry for Jimmy and pointedly (basically she knows who he is) sorry for Chuck.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I like how Kim reacts after telling Chuck she sides with Jimmy. They get in the car together and she repeatedly punches Jimmy's shoulder. Hard. Clearly she believes Chuck's version of events but remains sympathetic with Jimmy like the audience, but irate that he put her in that position. Even though he did it all for her. Really good web of motivations between characters.

GMfan87' likes this.
  9. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Season 4- I'm a few episodes in, this one is rather drawn out imo in certain parts - Mesa Verde,made no sense to me that Kim is so turned off to them after all her law experience she had no clue what it meant to represent a huge bank? Ok that's the way they played it but it was repetitive. It made me lose interest in Kim after a while.
    Then Jimmy at cell phone store, selling phones.. I just think they could of showed just a little of what he was up to and went to future when he was once again a lawyer. Then Mike at the group meetings , what really was that about , with that lady and him calling out the guy who made up a fake wife ??
    Starting the point about the creation of meth label which seemed wholly unecessary in such detail . He did have some nice scenes with Werner but that was to show Mike's distaste for what happens to the "innocent" in this type of business ? We already knew that with his reactions about the drivers who were killed by Salamancas crew.
    I did like the scene where Kim tore in to Howard , after Chuck's service, some of it was unfair but understandable given how Jimmy was treated.
    I forgot about the teaser opening with Saul packing up the office.

Jimmy B. and alexpop like this.
  10. misterjones

My experience is that people who are in that type of law fairly quickly leave or justify (even on specious grounds) their continued involvement. In that respect, Kim is a clear (and in my view unrealistic) outlier. But it’s a TV show looking for conflict and unexpected twists and turns for entertainment value, so I try not to give it too much thought.

Maybe it was season four where I started to despise many of the characters I used to like. But the final season resurrected at least my interest in some of the characters.

GMfan87' likes this.
  11. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes not to say it was all bad in 4 but think would of been better to not delve in to those certain aspects. Maybe the writers lost their way a bit after Chuck was gone. He and Jimmy were very good together even though I was never fond of the many scenes with him wrapped up in Mylar :) That being said seasons 1-3 were much stronger watched on DVD vs. tv.
    Completely agree with you on 5, much more interested in that and Lalo really livened things up.

GregM likes this.
  12. alexpop

Season 6.
    What do we know so far ?

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Lalo disappears.
    Kim disappears.
    Mike will be Mike.
    Jimmy goes "full Saul"--not like there was a very meaningful distinction anywhere along the line anyway.

14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see a little more of how events ramping up affect Saul, and his transformation in to life as Gene. I really think we will see Kim meet up with him in at least one scene at the end. There shouldn't be much more for Mike as we know what went on in BB at the end.
    Unless he figures in to the Lalo plot.. I'm not sure how they wrap that up.
    I imagine Nacho is Jesse 2 in that we want to see him get out, we definitely want to see his innocent Father out.
    I think there was much difference between Jimmy and Saul. It showed the more things happened in his life that broke his spirit he turned more towards scamming people, not caring who got hurt, upped the stakes.
    Although Saul was never heartless in BB,seemed to care about helping his clients.

Bcorig likes this.
  15. alexpop

BCS morphing into BB.
    Jimmy/Saul still has his 2 staff / helps.
    Secretary.. Francesca Liddy.
    And go fer/ door guy..Heull Babineaux.

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Much difference between Jimmy and Saul? Broke his spirit toward scamming people? I don't see it. BCS has now gone into painstaking detail that showed Jimmy was stealing from his own father at a young age, and ripping off anyone he could con from that point on. He never particularly cared who got hurt. While he had some sense of allegiance to his partner in crime in Cicero and his clients after he got a law degree. He never truly put them first, and would gladly con any of them if it fit into his code of operation. He only tried to fly straight after his Chicago sunroof stunt that landed him in trouble, and then he handed the reins of his life over to Chuck, who never wanted Jimmy to succeed or live up to his potential. Saul and Jimmy--the exact same person. Just different branding.

17. Bcorig

Bcorig Forum Resident

I binge BB f/b BCS once every 2 months on Netflix. For me It’s always fresh. “I’m Walter Hartwell White, I live at…” and I’m hooked in again.
    I watch BCS only after it’s released on Netflix so I’m two seasons behind.

misterjones and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

Two seasons behind ?
    Lucky you

Bcorig likes this.
  19. Bcorig

Bcorig Forum Resident

Nacho as Pre Jesse. That’s great!
    Jimmy’s experience seeing his Dad being scammed is likely how he learned. I could see Slipping Jimmie in the guy who “needed money for his kid’s medications”
    I wonder if Chuck was aware of his Dad’s weakness. In a way he seemed to blame Jimmie for his Dad’s business failures.

20. Bcorig

Bcorig Forum Resident

My mind is pacing like the video of Walt in the basement of Best Quality Vacuum.

21. misterjones

Another thing I had missed or forgotten was the origin of “Slippin’ Jimmy” (his slip and fall scam).

22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Not that's it right but I think he couldn't respect his Dad, being easily duped and a pushover. So he saw certain people as worthy as being taken advantage of. I do think every time he had chance to turn a different corner something happened that made him go the other way till he ended up at full Saul. Ofcourse he still could of made better choices.

Bcorig likes this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Yep, there were no duds on BB. Anna Gunn did a fantastic job, and won two Emmys for her role. I think some disliked her character so much (which I still don't get) that they overlooked what a great job the actress did.

EVOLVIST and Bcorig like this.
  24. misterjones

Two of the worst film actresses of all time, Jessica Lang and Sandra Bullock, have three Academy Awards between them, so . . . We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

25. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I guess I'm not expecting to see anything further about Saul's transformation to Gene. The pre-BB portion of BCS will end more-or-less where BB started, but the Gene part of BCS will only carry on forward from where we are so far in B&W Omaha Cinna-World. May happen, I'm just not expecting it.