Rolling Stones Tour 2021 (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, Aug 10, 2021.

1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM Thread Starter

continuing from the now-locked thread by @Elliottmarx
    Just Announced: The Rolling Stones Tour 2021
    there was no indication that it's just a time-out and that the thread would be re-opened....
    If creating this new thread is a bad move then it can be deleted.

>> Hopefully the discussion will not cross the fine lines that get threads shut down <<

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pittsburgh

[​IMG]
    ^ when exactly was this ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Steve Jordan

There was also this short thread, closed because there was already discussion in the main tour thread.
    Charlie Watts recovering from surgery - Steve Jordan will stand in for the 2021 Rolling Stones tour

So, why is this tour still being called "No Filter" ? feels like that name got played out already after 2019 ..... So much has happened, the context has changed dramatically .....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Tour names don't seem to have the cache or importance that they once did. "No Filter" does seem meaningless particularly after 2020, and especially since many attendees might be wearing filters to cope with the times.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, who can forget the creatively named "American Tour 1981" or all the brainpower that went into the name of the "Steel Wheels Tour"! :laugh:

4. Davido

Well, that's it isn't it? The standard practice was always for the new tour to be named after the new album, so we get as one example: Springsteen's "The River" tour after "The River" album, et. al. Nothing wrong with that. The problem with the Rolling Stones is that they never quite get around to releasing a new album... (I suppose the tour to support "A Bigger Bang" was called the "Bigger Bang" tour but since then there's been no "product" to support).

GoodKitty and stewedandkeefed like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It was locked, cleaned up, and unlocked by a Gort with a verbal warning, which apparently didn't work, because not an hour later it was locked (seemingly for good.

Filter yo' face!
    :)

GoodKitty likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's the same stage, so same name. 50 counting and Zip Code tours had different production and different names.

Can't remember why Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle were different names.

GoodKitty likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Urban Jungle stage was smaller and ea$ier to take around Europe.

CDFanatic, GoodKitty and Sean like this.
  8. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

“Urban Jungle” featured a different stage and logo. The setlist was slightly different too. Last tour that Bill Wyman played the bass.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I am sure that the Stones will be fine once they hit the stage. They are professional, even with Steve Jordan substituting for Charlie, and they won't disappoint 99% of the fans who attend. (The segment of fans who would be most likely to be disappointed probably wouldn't have bought tickets in the first place.)

BUT the Stones management must be having one eternal headache. First the 2020 tour gets postponed; then they might have jumped the gun in announcing a 2021 resumption of the tour right when the Delta variant was taking hold of many of the places that they were set to play; and then Charlie has his medical hiccup.

I hope for the best, but it will be interesting to watch from afar to see how it all plays out. I am sure many other of the big concert acts are watching too before they dip their toes back into the arena.

omikron, ODShowtime, RogerB and 7 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Questions (if anyone knows the answers):

How long does the band actually rehearse in person for these type of tours? A month? A few weeks?

And do they have a favorite location to hold their rehearsals? (Didn't they like to rehearse in Toronto at one time? But the COVID situation may preclude that, if indeed it was still the case.)

omikron, Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I and a couple other fans think they knew about Charlie prior to the fresh date drop and ticket on sale to manage the situation to their preference. I think 2020 ticket fans can get refunds for several more days.

It could also be Charlie not wanting to play in 2021 or ever play out of UK again, and the medical angle is a PR head fake.

Starts about a week from now. Date and facility known on IORR(there won't be fan access, even faint audio). Near where Keith lives in ConneCticut and the private Boston show that is the first show in 2 years.

12. Davido

Just heard that Stevie Nicks pulled out of the ACL Fest scheduled for October. Nicks was one of the headliners and certainly the main "legacy" act that had been booked for the fest. Bound to be a combination of increasing Covid cases coupled with fewer hospital beds, and Nicks' age. Understandable but I was sad to hear the news.

905 likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Definitely liked to rehearse and or play a warm up show in Toronto.

omikron, Sean and Arnold Grove like this.
  14. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

Ive read in an article, rehearsals take place a few weeks prior to the tour.

omikron and Arnold Grove like this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

PURELY to add to the anecdotes, but not the animosity: Philly is having a bit of a surge and new mask rules went into effect today (Thursday), mandating masking indoors. The upcoming NFL game at our (uncovered) Lincoln Financial Field will not require masks in the stands but only inside enclosed spaces. Restrooms were mentioned, but I assume luxury boxes, too. The "Made in America" music festival which is all outdoors at street level, has not been cancelled but the promoters are requiring masking among attendees.

FYI FYI FYI

Davido likes this.
  16. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I feel like whatever emergency medical thing was found to be wrong with Charlie, was probably discovered during the medical physical they had to take for the insurance -- just like Mick's heart condition was found shortly before the tour last time. I'm pretty sure they all had to undergo a PET scan and an echocardiogram, and probably more tests as well, as part of the insurance physical, to get cleared for the tour. It's interesting (or puzzling) to me, that they seem to have announced the rescheduled and new dates before they all passed the physicals and been cleared. That was certainly some odd timing on the Stones' part. Common sense would say pass the physicals, first, then put the tickets on sale to the public after you're cleared to go.

omikron likes this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Taken at face value, CW seemed to be at odds with his doctors over the recovery time required. Maybe it was not only CW who thought he was going through "no big deal".

18. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Hmm ... because no shows in China means they won't have to self-censor their setlist? :nyah:

19. Davido

Then again, we don't know. I'd wager it's just as likely that Charlie didn't feel well and had himself checked out...

tommy-thewho likes this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm curious about the fact that very few Hoffmanites seem to consider that mr. Watts might call it a day, throw in the towel and enjoy his pension from now on. I know his excellent style is the basis of the Stones Sound, why wouldn't he call it a day? Maybe some studio sessions, perhaps a farewell performance at the O2?

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Calling it a day" means calling it a day, not doing the farewell circuit song and dance. I have been surprised that the idea hasn't been expressed that CW can do whatever the f**k he wants, and probably sees business anniversaries ending in zero with far less emotion than a devotee might invest.

GoodKitty, omikron and Yovra like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Garth Brooks just tapped out on his stadium tour after 5(?) shows.

Sez Variety:

[Brooks] left open the possibility that he might schedule some new dates by the end of the year, but his reps say all the shows that were now on the books will have refunds automatically processed through Ticketmaster to the original form of payment, rather than postponing the concerts indefinitely and leaving ticketholders on the hook.​

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  23. Jimmy Phelge

Jimmy Phelge Edith Grove Alumnus

I can see a marketing opportunity for the Stones here. Tongue and lips mask, anybody?

2141, All Down The Line and PIGGIES like this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Al I can tell you is, if Los Angeles gets canceled, my head will explode. I've already had Vegas (after Oldchella) and San Diego (last year) canceled on me!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    All Down The Line likes this.
  25. warpig

warpig Senior Member

New Orleans canceled due to covid.