The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Days TV premix.

This one is also unavailable... I gather whoever uploaded the 50th anniversary stuff, left some things off youtube, to somewhat tease folks that were/are interested.

Lazy Old Sun TV premix.

Same story here

Two Sisters TV premix.

and again

In case @ajsmith 's post doesn't get cleaned up. AJ posted this as a reference for where these tracks come from.

2. mark winstanley

Unfortunately Monica and Lincoln County are MIA also

3. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It’s live vocals over a new backing track specially recorded at the BBC. The rest of the show was live vocals (or just mimes in a couple of cases) over remixed versions of the original Pye recordings.

The dog that is heard barking belonged to the fan who taped this at home. (You can also hear the fan song along at the beginning of ‘Dedicated’). This medley is prob most notable for being the only known live (or semi live) recording of ‘DFOF’ by the original group.

Yeah the box set version is a lot clearer as it is the original backing track (kept by Ray for 50 years). However it also lacks the live lead vocal.

4. mark winstanley

As something a little extra due to so many MIA tracks today

Village Green Overture (Preservation Overture)

We will likely talk about this stuff when we get to the Preservation album, but it is something that I can imagine but know nothing about, but The Preservation project was tied to The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society, and I believe the idea was to put together something that linked them together.

Here we have an overture, as stated, and this is a really nice big band instrumental version of Village Green .... at the very least it is a really interesting rearrangement that is worth a listen.

5. mark winstanley

That's a shame.

Cheers mate, as always, thanks for your clarifications, they are really valuable.

ajsmith likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Just to close out the Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.

Here we have Ray in Denmark, with the Denmark Radio Choir And Orchestra
    What we have here, are
    00:00 - 00:45, 0. Intro
    00:46 - 03:50, 1. Village Green
    03:50 - 06:20, 2. Picture Book
    06:22 - 09:22, 3. Big Sky
    09:21 - 12:55, 4. Do You Remember Walter
    12:55 - 15:10, 5. Johnny Thunder
    15:08 - 17:43, 6. The Village Green Preservation Society
    17:45 - 19:07, 7. The band presentation

The first four tracks from here close out the big box.

This is a really nice rearrangement of the material.
    This is very cool...

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

This was a surprising highlight of the big box for me. I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed the much later live Ray tracks posted above.

8. mark winstanley

This closer look at the Village Green material has been quite amazing really.

The quality of the songs, all through, including the tracks that sat in limbo for many years, and filtered out via different releases is certainly on par with the tracks that were on the album.
    It is somewhat difficult to imagine The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society being different at this stage of the game, because for those that know, for those captured by the romanticism and music of the original album, even if it isn't the favourite album of all time, or even just the Kinks, it is an album that once it grabs you is likely to hold a special place in your heart.
    It is the kind of album that if you are in a whimsical mood, or if you are hurting about something deeply, you can find yourself with strange moisture leaking from your eye sockets.

In spite of all that though, tomorrow will be a catch up day for some, and as agreed earlier it will be a moment in time for folks to reimagine this wonderful album in the way they would/may have liked to have seen it.
    Although I wouldn't change what we have, I'm going to have a try to put together a coherent double album, and I know there are plenty of folks that have said they would like a different song here or there, from the wealth of extra material.

So please nobody take offense tomorrow at the re-imaginings, it is just a light day for reflection on all the wonderful material we have heard over the last few weeks..... it is actually quite overwhelming when you look at all of it like that..... and to some degree it is hard to imagine another artist that recorded so many top quality songs for a project, that they also wrote..... To me Elvis's American Sound Recordings would be on par, in terms of the amount of really high quality songs and recordings, but of course Elvis didn't write those songs....

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Adds a bit of character to the recording. I skipped listening to it until I read this and then made haste to go back and listen for myself!

10. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

There's going to be a song coming up that mentions Golders Green, so sayth the one eyed man.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  11. DISKOJOE

You were feeling tense, I had my left eyeball fiddled with all yesterday afternoon at MA Eye & Ear :oops:

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

In my opinion, I feel that the Village Green tracks of Ray in Denmark shouldn't have been on this box set. This should have been a Kinks only box set.

13. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

And there were Village Green tracks on the To The Bone album omitted from the box set. Strange decision that.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Village Green era playlisters: I ended up including 14 of the 15 original tracks...so clearly lacking in self-control. In addition, I included 4 tracks (all of these go into one greater Kinks playlist covering the entire discography to-date): Autumn Almanac; Rosemary Rose; Lincoln County; and Days.

For a period of time Apple Music wasn’t allowing me to add songs to playlists so I’m uncertain if I inadvertently messed up on the add-ons. I had to use the handy index and go back and pluck my favorites of (what I think is part of) the era. Usually I add songs day-by-day as we work our way through the material.

LX200GPS and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Did it go well?

16. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

-
    What?!!! Where is King Kong? you have to show your tracklist.

CheshireCat, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  17. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

King Kong is very much a part of the next LP period.

18. mark winstanley

Lol
    Well I guess he can tomorrow :)
    -----------------------

For those who make up playlists, if reimagining the album isn't something you do, perhaps share your playlist for the album and extra tracks. :righton:

FJFP and Zeki like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I must have been watching the Olympics and missed King Kong (because that doesn’t ring a bell). Will seek it out immediately! :D And will advise subsequent status.

CheshireCat and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oh! Meaning Mark hasn’t posted it yet? Then I didn’t miss it after all.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As of post #7173 index, no King Kong. I am absolved of any potential Kinksian Infraction.

22. mark winstanley

What about Kinky infractions?
    Put the hot oil away, and move away from the cabinet sir :)

FJFP and Zeki like this.
  23. mark winstanley

The Plastic Man/King Kong single will come after the Dave Davies abandoned solo album.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Apologies. I should have deduced this. As penance for jumping the gun I will listen to Herman’s Hermits ‘Dandy’ three times in succession.

25. DISKOJOE

It went well. I still have to deal w/the cataract, but I'm seeing clearly in the left eye. Thanks for asking.