The Beatles 14th Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Hey all you Beatles scholars:

I'm looking to compile a fantasy 14th Beatles album using solo tracks that most likely would have been chosen for a post-Abbey Road session, if one had occurred.

Based on what Mike D posted in another thread, here are some solo songs that were rehearsed by the Beatles but not properly recorded by the band:

John: "Jealous Guy", "Gimme Some Truth"

Paul: "The Backseat Of My Car", "Every Night", "Another Day", "Junk", "Teddy Boy"

George: "Hear Me Lord", "Let It Down", "Isn't It A Pity", "All Things Must Pass"

Are there any other tracks or bits that were rehearsed by the band that ended up on their solo albums? I'm tempted to include "Imagine" because there is a bit in 30 Days where Lennon plays the basics of the piano riff.

Did we ever determine that John rehearsed "Cold Turkey" with the group, or did he just demo it for them?

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Of all of the tracks that could have possibly been Beatles songs, I most wish that "Back Seat of My Car" had made the cut. I wish George Martin had produced that song instead of Paul or whoever produced Ram.

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

No matter what my friend John Hunter says, Lennon never rehearsed or demo'd Cold Turkey for the group. It was composed just before the Plastic Ono Band went to Toronto. A few weeks AFTER the final session for Abbey Road. It's possible that he played George and Ringo a home demo during one of the Apple meetings in September, but there's no way to prove this (other than John claiming to be outraged they didn't want to record it). The Beatles also played Hot As Sun, a snippet of which is on McCartney. Ron

theMess likes this.
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Hey! No fair! I didn't even get to make my points first before you pre-empted me. :p

Having said that, I'm not sure that anyone other John Lennon can state definitively when he composed "Cold Turkey."

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Quite true, other than his announcement to the Toronto crowd that it was a new song and never played before. But you are correct, it COULD have been written in August, but there's no record of it ever being demo'd for the group. Ron

6. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

7. Veech

Good links, thanks! I was hoping to configure a decent track list based on songs we know the Beatles actually presented to each other but there just isn't enough Lennon material available, dang! I would need at least one more Lennon rocker to even consider it. There is plenty of McCartney material to work with.

I would definitely use "Gimme Some Truth" as a side opener, probably side two. "Backseat of My Car" would be the closer. I would use two Harrison numbers including version 2 of "Isn't It A Pity" which sounds more like what a Beatles performance would have been.

If we stretched it to songs that were written while the Beatles were together, I may consider opening side one with "Wah Wah" although the over-production would be inconsistent.

8. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

wasn't Lennon singing Oh My Love during 1968?
    love it,
    -mike

Natural E likes this.
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Look at Me," "Oh Yoko," and, believe it or not, even "Woman is the N-Word of the World" all date back to 1968.

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Oh My Love" and "Look At Me" date back to Beatle days, at least one of them has a 1968 copyright. John also had some songs from the "Let It Be" sessions that he never recorded, like "Watching Rainbows".

"I'd Have You Anytime" and "When Everybody Comes to Town" were co-written with Bob Dylan in 1968. George demoed "Circles" in 1968 but didn't record it for years.

As for "Cold Turkey", John is said to have mentioned it as his most recent composition at an Apple meeting, but nobody wanted to call a quick recording session for a song that they didn't see as a single. John took it as a snub.

11. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Thank you...thread "thread" pops up about every 6 months or so. Repeate after me: NO MORE BEATLE THREADS FOR 6 MONTHS!!! Unless of course the remaster come before.

12. Veech

yeah I know it's a tired topic, but my spin was to try to sequence a final album based on songs that we know were put out for consideration. One more Lennon rocker and it would be feasible.

13. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Veech, just promise that before this thread unravels that you'll post the final sequence of tunes. I want to make a Beatles XIV CD-R too!

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I used to think "Watching Rainbows" was a real song, but I more tempted now to think it was just some improvised gibberish. The jam is based on "Madman" which was a real song (more or less), except at some point they restart with the "Watching Rainbows" bit. The fact that it never resurfaced in any form and it sounds pretty off-the-cuff makes me think it could've possibly been made up on the spot.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  15. Veech

*heh* sure :righton:

I keep hoping someone like Sulpy or Winn or anyone else who knows the Nagra tapes inside-out will jump in and post something like: "wait, on January 22, 1969 there was an untitled jam that included a riff that sounds like it could have evolved into "Remember"...

16. Lord Hawthorne

It's definitely an unfinished song, but I like what he was starting on.

17. benintune

benintune New Member

I know this is going against your rules but if I were making this, and probably will now that I'm mentioning it, I would add some stronger songs to balance the album. For instance, I would go ahead and add Cold Turkey and Imagine. Give George only 2 of those songs that you mentioned since that is all they ever gave him to do. Add a Ringo song and Uncle Albert and Maybe I'm Amazed which are both beatley enough. So that would give it a set list like this...

"Cold Turkey"
    "Another Day"
    "Jealous Guy"
    "Maybe I'm Amazed"
    "Isn't It A Pity"
    "Every Night"

"Gimme Some Truth"
    Ringo's song - "Coochy Coocy" maybe?
    "Junk"
    "Teddy Boy"
    "All Things Must Pass"
    "The Backseat Of My Car"

Although this set short changes John a little so I may drop Teddy Boy (never liked that song anyway) and add Instant Karma and start it on side 2 and shuffle it around a bit.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't really care what the rules are - if the Beatles had made an album after Abbey Road, "It Don't Come Easy" should have been Ringo's song. :p

Pizza, JDeanB and jamesmaya like this.
  19. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

I kind of think that "Abbey Road" is that "bonus" album. The Beatles knew they were going to break up, but they went ahead and made "Abbey Road", anyway.

andrewskyDE and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  20. Lord Hawthorne

Ringo's song would be "Early 1970".

Natural E likes this.
  21. benintune

benintune New Member

Good point. That streaches it out to 1973. I may just end up doing a group solo 2 cd comp of all their solo stuff up till John's death. Maybe call it "All Together Alone" or something. I guess that's for another thread though...

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

OK, give him that on the album, and make "It Don't Come Easy" his first a-side since "Yellow Submarine" and "Matchbox." :p

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

No, "It Don't Come Easy" was released in 1970, I think.

I keep meaning to make my own follow up to the Red and Blue albums - 1970 - 1975.

24. benintune

benintune New Member

Oh, then my computer file is wrong then. If that's the case then that would definetly be the Ringo song.

25. Lord Hawthorne

April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.