KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Nevison may be a genius for Heart 85 and Bad Animals, and Shot in the Dark, but certainly not Crazy Nights.

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Different tastes and all that. Personally, I think there are four producers that served KISS really well and he's one of them. The only blot on his copybook is turning down the song Sword & Stone.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ron produced a firehouse album too i think

William Smart and carlwm like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

3, I believe.

He did some sterling work with Survivor too.

William Smart and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

thats a good album by firehouse if you didnt check it out

Haggis Wampovich and carlwm like this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'll give it a blast. Cheers! :righton:

7. Matthew Tate

i live near the drummer from firehouse mike foster. the band wasn't happy with the label at this point

carlwm likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's interesting. I think the band did well to get a charting record as late as '95. Record company indifference to traditional rock bands seemed particularly chronic by then.

9. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

It’s true according to Peter/Rolling Stone, and nothing a little google search couldn’t clear up:
    The Oral History of Kiss' 'Cinematic' 'Destroyer'
    “Criss: So they set it up. And I’m alone in there and it’s a long hallway, and it’s full of old garbage cans. All of a sudden, we’re into it. I hear Bob on the headset, we’re starting, and the door opens and two Mexican guys walk in. Garbage men. And they see me all dressed up, long hair, looking crazy, banging drums in the elevator [laughs]. And they flip out. And I flip out. No one knows what to do. And I keep hearing Bob, “What’s the matter?” And then they said, “OK, to hell with this,” as New Yorkers do, and they start moving the garbage. Bob is listening, and he hears, like, a war! He’s like, “Peter!” And I’m like, “You’ll never believe it! You gotta come over here, man. They’re moving the garbage.” We laughed and laughed and laughed I don’t know how long.”

William Smart and carlwm like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

it was just not seeing eye to eye on the bands image and what to release as singles and promotion. the band ended up asking to be released from their contract after that. mike says the bands work from 1990-1995, albums and singles, add up to over 5 million in sales in the usa alone if stuff were to get certified again.

fretter and carlwm like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Highly impressive sales.

12. Matthew Tate

this is the bands guess in rough sales as of today in the usa
    first album-2.6 million
    hold your fire- 1 million
    3-315k
    good acoustics-100k
    all singles about another million in sales
    total about 5 million

carlwm likes this.
  13. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

just goes to show the power and universal appeal of that song.

The whole crowd is singing along with every word.

There aren't many songs like that in existence.

The word "Classic" gets thrown around a lot.

This is how people react to a TRUE classic.

William Smart likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Damn straight.

Beatles level.

cageyc, William Smart and deeluxdx7 like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Their biggest hit worldwide.

[​IMG]

fretter, WhoDaresWins, carlwm and 4 others like this.
  16. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Started a thread for this but figured I'd put it here also.

Like a lot of Kiss fans, I made my own album out of the solo albums. I wrote a story around it and wrote it out like it was in the book Behind The Mask. I uploaded it to send space and figured some people here may enjoy it. The font size is small but I was trying to match the size in the book.

https://www.sendspace.com/folder/dvxf0w

17. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

You said he was recording while wearing makeup. Never happened.

18. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I didn’t mean to confirm the makeup and never said he was wearing makeup - that must have been a different poster so you might want to direct this toward them. I was merely sharing the story about Peter being in the elevator and encountering those workers. Was your distrust about the story only about him wearing the makeup? If so, then yes, I agree - I’ve never heard any stories about them wearing makeup to record in the studio…sorry for any confusion on my part.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    AngusStanley and William Smart like this.
  19. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Hey, guess what, you guys!? Ace is up for a KISS reunion? Who knew?! ;)
    ACE FREHLEY Says He's On Good Terms With PAUL STANLEY And GENE SIMMONS, Doesn't Rule Out KISS Reunion
    Seriously, I love Ace but how many times is he going to put this out there? Of course, it appears he keeps getting asked so what’s he supposed to do? Ignore the question? Interesting how he seems to be distancing himself from Peter a big, though… Regardless, I think we’ll see both Ace and Peter at the last concert but not before then…

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I happy with Tommy & Eric though if there is ever an official final show, it might be nice to invite Ace & Peter, and, indeed, all the surviving former members.

21. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I have some questions for anyone who was around at the time KISS re-released "Creatures" with a new, non-make-up cover, and a few re-mixed tracks. I was a young child at the time and not yet aware that Pop-music even existed.

I was probably more concerned with learning how not to cr@p my pants, then KISS trying to "re-write history"

Although, funnily enough, KISS had been on some show for VERY young children...I don't remember the show, nor do I remember why there were on it....but I VIVIDLY remember seeing it....so even at that age, I was aware they existed....Oh! And I saw this show in PRE-SCHOOL!

Not during....IN Pre-school. They wheeled one of those old A.V, school T.V's with the GIGANTIC industrial sized VCR into the class-room, and my Pre-school class watched.......KISS!?!?!?.....If anyone has any memories of what I could be talking about here, please let me know....I'd like to know what the h#ll we were actually watching and why they were showing it to us.)

.....as usual....I digress.

It seems fairly clear why KISS re-issued "Creatures" with the new cover, and re-mixed tracks.

In their minds, that was the start of a new band. THAT was the dividing line.

They wanted it without make-up, and with their finally stable new line up.

It was also a record that they drew HEAVILY on for their live set at the time, probably more than any other.....yet it was the worst selling KISS record ever.

Also....and I was shocked to discover this a few years back......there had actually been some COMPLAINTS about the legendary "Creatures drum sound" and the re-mixes were an attempt to dial that back a hair.

What I'd like to know is.....Was there a marketing push for this re-issue? Did they do press and talk about it? Did they TRY and sell it?

Or did you just show up to the record store one day, look in the KISS rack and say "What the f@#k is THIS!?!?!"

Were they just trying to "re-write history" without anyone noticing?

fretter, Matthew Tate and jeffreybh like this.
  22. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

OMG......After that promo he cut on Gene a few years back?!......REALLY ACE!?!?!

Look.....Ace is one of my two favorite lead guitarists ever.....Ace Frehley, Johnny Thunders.....everyone else shut up.

But his lobbying for his old job over the last.....nearly a DECADE now has been sickening.

I LOVE the guy musically......but I have no doubts about why P&G are not willing to deal with his B.S.

He advertises his supposed sobriety (Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't know.) But still brags about nearly missing that stadium show in Orange county 10 years ago, the one where they had to hire a helicopter to pick him up from LAX and create a make-shift landing pad behind the stadium.

If someone you work with puts you through endless B.S and then SMIRKS about it, like he got one over on you?

Ace just doesn't get it. Or how disingenuous his "Plan" to get his job back appeared.

23. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember a KISS segment being featured as a part of a pbs program(Electric Company?)… that focused on their stage presentation, lights, etc…. I wish I could be more accurate.

24. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

THAT is it!

DEFINITLY The Electric company.......that is something they would show us in school for sure!

Thank you! I've always wondered why my school took time out of our day so the class could watch.......KISS!!?!....I'm not complaining, it's just odd. And that is my first memory of the band.

And I remember the show having something to do with science, light specifically.

You are 100% correct!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  25. Or this?!? 3-2-1 Contact… I suspect we’re close to the same age…. I have the same (vague) memory as you but I can’t quite zero in on it myself.

fretter, deeluxdx7 and ejluther like this.