What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Was able to pick up a Luxman SQ N-150 a couple weeks ago. Sounds great with my one year old Zu Audio Dirty Weekends. Thinking about getting a Rega P6. I have a P3 with a Neo PSU, so not sure if will be a big upgrade.

Tawaun A Williams and Ingenieur like this.
  2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I'm all over the place:
    Consolidate with MAC7200
    Bi-amp with MA275

The only thing for sure is an upper range AT MM cartridge

3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I knew exactly what you meant ... i've bought Stax HPs direct from Japan and records a time or 2 and they are great to deal with and package really well ... but like you have got hit for VAT and shipping which as you say roughly doubles the cost .... but somethings just aren't available here ...

4. Swann36

I use a BM Dac1 HDR as a hp amp and dac and as a pre too at times .. great kit .. i've often wondered if getting more modern BM dac would yield much more ?

5. Swann36

At a guess i'd say under something ..:shh:

Although i'm sure i read somewhere that Darko experimented with placing them ontop of a Dac at one point with good results ... :biglaugh:

Andy Saunders likes this.
  6. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

The Gold Note pieces have been purchased and are amazing. Still 2nd guessing the amp/preamp

Rick58 and timind like this.
  7. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Between Audionote K/LX and their stands.:)

Swann36 likes this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not planned, but bought an SVS SB-1000 Pro sub the other day ... my 25 year old NHT SubOne (bought new on closeout for $400 way back when) is making crackling noises ... :D the app for tweaking things is almost worth the $500 for the new sub. Should sound much better too, hopefully. At least not crackle with test tones at reasonable volume ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not that they can't work, but IIUC the Aegirs aren't recommended into 4 ohms in bridged mode ... if you still have the Jamo S606s they do go that low ... Recensie van de Jamo S606 en Tangent EVO E45, veel voor weinig? looks like near 4 ohms thru the mid-bass/midrange.

Of course at reasonable levels these might be a match made in heaven ... ? I assume your 801 has no problems driving them, it shouldn't. Apparently Schitt is coming out with new monoblocks soon, hopefully rated into 4 ohms (and having balanced connection to match the Freya+).

For a similar price ... maybe the https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-s300-power-amplifier/ would work well? I've been intrigued by the new 'digital' amps, if I didn't already have my A 21 beast installed, might/likely go for one of those.

LeeS likes this.
  10. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I am waiting for The Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated amp to arrive
    At my stereo dealer- will take it out on loan and will buy if I like it!

Tawaun A Williams, Rick58 and LeeS like this.
  11. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Honestly, I am happy enough with my a-s801 that my speakers will probably be my next upgrade. Get those in place and then consider other amplification. appreciate the warning, though. I'll take a look at the ps audio just to familiarize myself with it.

Or did you mean this one? :D :cool:
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/bhk-signature-300-monoblock/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Rick58 likes this.
  12. Len-ski

Len-ski Forum Resident

I’ve pre-ordered the new Yamaha RX-A8A receiver from Crutchfield due to ship by 9/9/21 which will replace my Yamaha RX-Z1 which has served me well for 18 years. Looking forward to the upgrade but not the lifting. Both units weigh about 50lbs. Figured I better do it now while I still can. :uhhuh:

MikeJedi and Rick58 like this.
  13. mkaudio

mkaudio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    i am interested in jbl l100, i think i will make a decision by the end of the year.

14. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I just got a notification, UPS has got a pair of Magnepan LRS on their way to me.
    New play toys!

15. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

I'm considering a new Jays Audio cd transport or a Technics SACD player. I don't like the walnut finish on my Cornwall speakers. I prefer the cherry finish so I might sell or trade the walnut for a pair with the cherry finish.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  16. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Will try a Rega Fono with my Rega RP3, see how much if at all it improves on my Marantz PM66 KI Sig internal phono stage. Not expecting a worthwhile improvement. I hope I’m surprised.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  17. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Well,I didn’t really”plan”on making a major purchase,but we all know how that goes. So about 3 weeks ago I start my diabolical plan to get myself a forever preamp. I narrowed the search down to another AricAudio preamp,the Transcend 6sn7 linestage,or a Supratek Chardonnay. As always,I’m looking on every audio site,checking the classifieds, and on Thursday evening, I spot it. A very lightly used AricAudio Motherlod II. It’s his top of the line preamp. It’s also way out my budget new,I mean way out! This used one was at the very tippy top of my budget. I make an offer,and a couple hours later a deal is struck. I should have it on Tuesday. I am like a little kid waiting for Santa!!

[​IMG]

JorgeGvb, DPM, Ham Sandwich and 7 others like this.
  18. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Congrats....truly beautiful gear :)

TEA FOR ONE likes this.
  19. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Thanks! Aric built my current preamp,the Unlimited. He is so awesome to work with. I had emailed him regarding one of his other pre’s and even had a question regarding the pre that I purchased used. On each email,he literally responded within 10 minutes. I wish I had the funds to purchase new from him,but like I said,WAY out of my budget.

20. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

The advantage of dealing with a manufacturer that truly enjoys his chosen profession.

TEA FOR ONE likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Sweet!! The RX-A8A looks like the first Yamaha receiver since the Z series to match up in weight and real power .. they seem to be upping their game again on the AV receivers :)!!

Len-ski likes this.
  22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

My BIG mistake was going into 2021 "knowing" I was all set. No new hardware or any accessories needed, I was more than covered.

So far I have purchased a pair of Apple AirPods Max after simply trying them at an Apple Store just to see what all the hype was about-no prior interest in buying. Then I replaced my Milty ZeroStat with a Furutech DeStat III Static remover. I replaced my Ikea LED light for my TT with a Reliable Uberlight Flex. I replaced my Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge with a RevolV Digital Stylus Tracking Force Gauge. Plus I picked up a Stylus Timer for good measure.

23. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

I used to own the DAC1 classic so moving to the DAC2HGC wasn't much of a quandry because it had features not previously available. Also, the price was reasonable - I paid approximately £1500 new in March 2015 (from Thomann.de when the £/E exchange rate was around 1.36), whereas a new DAC3 now costs £2450 in the UK (Thomann.de is 2300 Euro which, at current exchange rates, is approx £1950 so the mark-up by UK distributors is significant!).

Sound-wise, I recall feeling the DAC2 was a step forward improvement, being more fleshed out and less edgy. But it's not the cliched "jaw dropping" difference. Regards DAC2 vs DAC3, Benchmark said they didn't feel there was a SQ difference, although reviews said it was a step-forward. Either way, I'm a fan of Benchmark's honesty and engineering-oriented approach, although the cost of the new products such as HA-4 is rather steep.

Best thing to do is try and get a demo or, better still, 30 day return option - somewhat easier to do than way back in 2006/7 when I took the plunge on the DAC1, with it only being sold through a few pro-audio stores in the UK at the time.

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd be tempted to save up and go full-stack Benchmark with dual-mono AHB2 amps fed by the DAC and LA-4. End game!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  24. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Less than a month ago I posted the above message on this thread. Little did I know less than a month later I would be taking delivery in 6 days on a pair of Sonner Legato Duo's, much to my great surprise. My dealer was looking to quickly move a pair that had been used for only two days and returned. He gave me a great price on the new speakers, a great trade-in price on my current speakers. Plus he is delivering and installing the speakers and taking away my current speakers. At this point in my life I don't need the pain of moving and boxing/unboxing 75-80 pound towers. The only "pain" I will feel is writing out the check, but it will be a labor of love.

25. Roll Stone

Roll Stone Well-Known Member

In 2 weeks I should receive JBL L100 classic 75th anniversary edition Can’t wait to plug them into my system.