Warped (bowled) Records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Aug 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Spiegel

Craig Spiegel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone ever tried clamping a bowled record, so that it's flattened out, then using a hair blower or heat gun to flatten it?

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Afriend of mine put an album between two pieces of glass and put it in the oven...

Ripblade likes this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

Yes.

However, you'll be unlikely to fix a "bowled" record that has been turned into garbage.
    [​IMG]

4. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Interesting idea. It would have to be done slowly, uniformly and with a huge amount of caution.

I prefer the glass plates/warm oven idea better. If the glass is too hot to touch it's much too hot for the vinyl.

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

6. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Two sheets of heavy glass, weights and a lot of time works for me.
    Put it in an oven and you're asking for trouble.

7. Craig Spiegel

I'd prefer to stay away from the glass plates and vinyl flat as I feel it may impact the grooves. The record in question is a few millimeters raised off the platter (all the way around) on side 2. I put the record on side 1 and clamp it with my Michel Engineering record clamp, thus flattening it. I then spin the record and apply heat with the hair dryer or heat gun for several minutes. Then let the record cool and hopefully the record if flat (or less bowled). My concern is a moot point as the clamp only touches the label.

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I suspect you'll wind up with waviness along the outer surface of the record caused by vinyl expansion unless a flat surface is placed above the record to prevent that from happening. Whatever the case, good luck!

9. Craig Spiegel

I tried it last night and let it sit on my TT with the clamp on all night. Unfortunately there was no change. I suspect the hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.

This was more as an experiment than anything else. I had planned on sending it back for replacement anyway.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A little splash of lemon and it goes good with guacamole.

11. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Has anyone actually used one of these? Curious to know if/how well it works.

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've had success with it.

13. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

It works. You can save unplayable warps. Follow the instructions on the included leaflet and you won’t damage your records.

BGLeduc likes this.
  14. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong but sticking a thin piece of vinyl in an oven at 65c for 30 minutes is asking for trouble :yikes:

Classicrock and SteveFord like this.
  15. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Interesting. Good to know.

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I’ve had really mixed results. Sometimes it does nothing. Sometimes it will flatten, but the damage is still audible. A couple times I “over cooked” one and ruined it. A few times I’ve had it work pretty well, but frankly in those cases the warp didn’t cause any audible issues on my setup anyway, so…

17. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I have had one or two return to warped shape after a while. As far as I know my storage environment is ok so it could be an issue with cool down time or something. But, they come out of the Vinyl Flat flat.

18. Benzion

Indeed, Mrs. Slocombe!

cwitt1980 likes this.
  19. Benzion

I have, and still am, extensively. Generally - it works, with a few exceptions when it doesn't. I've grown weary of the heated pouch, as it has "cooked" a few records of mine to the point that the grooves melted, some quite rare and valuable. So now I put a record in there, use a dozen or so 1" woodworking clamps around the circumference of the edge, for added pressure, and will leave it in there for about two weeks, upon which I turn it over and leave for another two weeks. Sure is time consuming, giving me a chance to do no more than 12-15 discs per year at this speed, but at least no more records get destroyed by the heat.

The best outcome is with standard records, the worst - with modern pressing 180 gram records - those just like to stay warped sometimes. On average, I'd say a get a 90% success rate or better.

[​IMG]

20. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Just after an opinion here… I’ve bought a brand new album (Chicago 1, Friday Music) which sounds absolutely bloody fantastic, but the vinyl on the first disc is warped/dished. It’s still plays perfectly well on my turntable. Should I return it for a replacement, or keep it?

21. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

Do what your ears tell you.

lucan_g and Geoffsterpiano like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Tried it years back on a cheap used record. Glass cracked and ended up with crinkle cut disc. Have reduced a bowl by leaving on the Orbe record clamp overnight but success really depends on the type of vinyl and how severe the bowl is. Really bad cases should be returned to seller as I can't see them fixing even if you spend a ton of money on one of those Japanese flattening machines.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've faced this dilemma a lot -- today it happened again. I really don't understand how my turntable is tracking this, but it's doing so like a champ. Bobbing up and down. And it sounds fantastic.

No way I'm returning it. New vinyl is so hit and miss -- if it sounds good when it plays, isn't that the point? No need to create more land fill.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I did that once except I put it in the sun in my backyard for a little while. It turned into one of those bowl shaped mexican tortilla salad bowls.

25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Friday Music is definitely hit or miss. More miss in my experience. Most of their vinyl pressings are just stock digital pressed to LP IMO. And yes, many warped. They do have nice reprinted jackets etc..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.