Madonna / Warner Music Group announce new partnership, reissue campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Aug 16, 2021.

1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

Madonna | News | MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP

Exciting news, for sure. No details but it sounds like we are finally going to get some type of deluxe reissue projects. I have posted my own ideas for specific items on various threads in the past. Basically, I would like them to follow what's happening with the Prince catalog and release every 7" and 12" mix along with unreleased material, videos and a solid book to go with it all. I'm keeping my expectations in check but still eager to see where this goes.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Please no bricks, please no bricks, please no bricks :cool:

3. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

For the first time, Madonna will personally curate expansive deluxe editions for many of her landmark albums, as well as introduce unique releases for special events, and much more.

Wow, this is interesting. I agree with OP - the 80s Prince boxset template is the way to go. Looking forward to this..

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great news.

It’s about time, isn’t it?:)

Jarleboy, JeffMo, McKigney and 11 others like this.
  5. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Excellent news

6. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Interesting. I am not a fan of Madonna's in general, but I greatly enjoy her work through the Ray of Light album. I would not spring for a reissue with remixes, but if there are a number of unreleased tracks on various albums, I would be more interested. As a pop singer and co-writer, she made some extraordinary music that is a sheer joy to hear. Unreleased tracks on the True Blue, Like A Prayer and Bedtime Stories albums would interest me the most. In my opinion, she was at her prime and her instincts melodically and with harmonies were spot on during that period.

7. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

This is all very welcome news! I just hope Madonna’s curation doesn’t involve revision and that we finally get all the correct single versions, etc. Would also be great to gather all the non-album, non-single tracks under one umbrella (soundtracks, benefits, bonus tracks, etc.)

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I’d love it if these were done like the McCartney reissues…

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Hallelujah!

A couple of things I take from that press release:

1. 'Madonna will personally curate' these reissues. This makes me slightly nervous. I hope she is an expert on the various versions of Burning Up for example!!

2. There is no mention of new music being part of the deal.

10. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

Remastered tours please!

KJTC, aseriesofsneaks and Bink like this.
  11. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Hang onto your original copies.

Get ready for classic albums, singles and remixes to get brick walled to death.

I’m all for Special Editions with bonus tracks etc but it comes with a price these days and that is audio quality.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes. Before she dies.

13. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

i would like this very much, especially all the Blond Ambition tours that were shot on Video and film- which I hear they claim they can’t locate. I believe they never really tried. Now is the time.

14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

So the first release will be announced soon. That suggests a release for the christmas market.

I guess an obvious thing to start with would be a new hits collection (boxset with ALL the hits please). And maybe a blu ray collection of videos.

15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Great news! I’ve long thought/said that when she finally does decide to look back, it will be an amazing success - especially if she does a “greatest hits” tour with no/a minimum of reinvention of the songs. Many of her original hits have never even been played on tour in their original versions, so how can anyone be tired of them live, including/especially herself? I reckon a tour like that would be on track for biggest of all time, something that would definitely appeal to her business/capitalist side. Don’t get me wrong, I love how she would use tours to rework her music and have really enjoyed many tour versions but would also love a “just like on the records” outing. She’s a canny one, that Madge…

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  16. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Her personal curation is, I suspect a veneer.

I can’t imagine her spending months of her own time on it.

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

You could well be right. Having said that, she has in the past posted pictures on social media of tapes and film cans from the vault, so it's not as if the tapes are in some mythical warehouse out of her reach.

Jarleboy, ascot and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  18. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

I wonder if this will coincide with the movie she’s making :confused:

If the movie is successful enough a greatest hits package and world tour on the back of it would be a ideal. As long as Australia is included :wave::wave:

Segasonic91, April Snow, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  19. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

A box set of all her singles (in the correct mixes) is what I want more than anything else, and a Blu-ray set of all her videos would be extremely welcome as well, especially since they’re already working on upgrading them to 4K. The ones posted on YouTube so far are a huge improvement on what was included on the Celebration DVD set.

Nobby, Jarleboy, JeffMo and 12 others like this.
  20. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I get why you say this but she is a legendary control freak (rightfully so) and I think she’ll be deeper (and deeper ;)) into this curation/rerelease campaign than we might expect. She’s often done music+movie+tour packages and I see a big one coming with her biopic on the horizon. The only thing is it already makes me sad - I think once she does the whole “greatest hits/my life story” trip, she’ll essentially be done with music. Oh well, time marches on (and goes by so slowly, too ;))…

21. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

If she does, good for her and I take it all back in advance

ejluther likes this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I forsee 12" reissues in the future.

JeffMo, Izozeles, WolfSpear and 2 others like this.
  23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Yes! She is the biggest selling dance/remix artist of all time after all, IIRC…

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Indeed, as I mentioned above, the press release does not suggest that new music is part of the deal.

With the movie she is working on, which by its nature, is about looking back, I wonder if this is all part that 'project' in her mind. Therefore I can see her treating the compiling of reissues with the same seriousness as a new album.

She is a creative individual and I don't expect this to stop, but I do wonder if this is a wrapping up of her pop career and she will direct her creativity in other areas. Pure speculation of course.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

If it sounds anything like the Prince remasters, I will be ok with that.