The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I hope they spread these releases over a period, there is only so much Eagles I can take!! They say the s/t will be released on the 25th August and Desperado on the 15th September, that very close to each other!!

hi_watt and ggergm like this.
  2. Willy-T

Willy-T Forum Resident

The self titled is my favorite of them all
    Just not sure how they can take a 50 year old tape and make it sound as fresh as a 50 year old White Label first pressing in good shape.
    Oh well. I had to hear it so I popped and ordered the self titled One Step
    We shall see
    The last few Ones Steps I got sounded veiled and did not have the upper frequency sparkle. 45 rpm should be of some benefit

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

It also makes me wonder about the licences......

4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I preordered the first two and will get the rest. Surprising that MOFI got these IMO.

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I, too, have white label promos for both of these. I'm pretty confident the One-Steps will be better. Technology has improved as has the intent. These aren't being rushed out to deliver to radio stations across the country.

hi_watt and Joti Cover like this.
  6. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I will be 64 in November. I think I’m right there with you.

7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I ordered both One Steps. If I skip a title, it will be On The Border.

NiceMrMustard and Joti Cover like this.
  8. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I have preordered both titles. One steps sound fantastic and the Eagles music more than lives up to the medium. They will sound sublime.

These will sell out fast imho!

9. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Yep they will....complainers get on board before you really have something to complain about.

10. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

What about The Long Run?

Joti Cover, hi_watt and vinylshadow like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Isn’t the U.S. white label promo of the debut a stereo folddown to mono?

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I just wish they offered 33 RPM One Steps. I just hate 45 RPM LP’s

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I looked this afternoon after I made my post. The more I thought about it, it didn't ring true. Yupper. My current copy of the first album is a Japanese pressing.

A couple of years ago I cleaned house on my Eagles' LPs, going down to a single copy for each title. I got rid of the white label one for their first album, keeping the Japanese copy instead.

If I remember right, my white label copy was from the UK. I may be wrong about that. I'll give you better odds it wasn't mono. I think I would have noticed that.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Couldn’t agree more. I’m buying the SACD’s though.

I am now very very selective on buying One Steps, totally because of the 45. I have a few, but also sold several after the fact because of the PITA factor.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Man, I love The Long Run.

16. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I can't hack The Eagles. And even though Heartache Tonight makes me cringe, I'd buy The Long Run if it was a One Step. It's the only album of theirs I like. I had the cassette tape in high school and played it out. Actually, mostly played The Long Run.

I wish New Kid In Town was on this album.

vconsumer, hi_watt and chris8519 like this.
  17. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I just couldn’t resist and ordered both. I only have one OneStep (Paul Simon). I was not blown out of the water.
    So I figured I would order only one of these Eagles albums.
    But then looking at the track listings, they both have songs I love. So I ordered both!

I don’t have any eagles on vinyl, and figured I would just have the best possible. Hoping I can get clean pressings!

Cody B likes this.
  18. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I think by manufacturing definition all SACDs are “OneSteps”, but would be interested in knowing whether the same principal (eliminating mother stampers, I think) can be applied to digital formats. Or if it even matters.

but yeah; I’m guessing they can just keep cranking out the SACDs. Or hell , release the DSD files for purchase directly! Infinite release amounts.

19. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

I have the 2014 Bernie Grundman reissues and US originals of the first two. Can anyone justify if these would be worth the investment? I've never had a One-Step album before

20. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I don’t have any of these albums in any form. And didn’t want to track down originals. I am not sure the 2014s are AAA? Which the MoFi will be.

these onesteps are interesting. Great dynamics, great mastering. The vinyl is temperamental and not guaranteed to be silent, especially if you vacuum clean them. (Something about intense static drawing even more dust to the groove than before!)

I have one OneStep. The Paul Simon. In my shootout, it sounded the best (same shootout using same pressings as Fremer did on his site).

packaging is over the top and takes up too much space.
    But knowing you’ll have the best mastering of the album is a nice feeling. To me, these are the “definitive, I’ll never look for another pressing again” kind of releases.

audiotom, hi_watt and Ryan Bedlack like this.
  21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I love the Eagles, they were headliners at the first rock concert I went to. I have some of the MFSL One-Steps...Santana, Mingus, Monk, Yes, a few others. I am in for the SACD's on the first two Eagles albums, but will sit out the One-Step vinyl. I'll be tempted for One-Step vinyl of On the Border and One of these Nights.

Joti Cover and hi_watt like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The original U.S Asylum white label (non-promo) pressing of self-titled is excellent. I’d be shocked if anything currently bests it. I’m even skeptical MFSL can do it either, but it’s possible if they get their hands on the master tapes.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

Pre-ordered both SACDs. I did not know these were coming.

Will get as many as they choose to put out, because the quality has been extremely high with all the MoFi SACD releases I’ve purchased since The Cars reissues through Paul Simon and Alan Parsons “Eye in the Sky”.

I also have/love the DCC GH Vol.1, and Hotel California. It will make for great comparisons if MoFi also releases these…

Rockstar2112 and ssmith3046 like this.
  24. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

I would like the Eagles albums on vinyl - I just don't love them enough to fork out the cost for the One Steps. If they were the 2 x 45's releases - I would have bought them all. I am still trying to justify the prices for them here in Australia (they tend to be double of more the American price here - even though the exchange rate is nowhere near that)....so it will have to be an amazing album for me to buy a One Step. It is hard to not get carried away with all the hype and just buy one anyways *twitch* : )

chris8519 likes this.
  25. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

Just buy it direct from Mofi. Even with shipping they are significantly cheaper than buying in Aus. I spoke to my local record shop and they said they could pre order them for $250 AUD a piece, compared to $125 US plus shipping. I think it landed at $400 AUD for me, vs $500 if I bought through the store.

PdB73 likes this.