Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ispace

ispace Senior Member

The records will still be damaged. Get rid of those PVC sleeves immediately.

Pimjazz0, uzn007 and MGW like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

When you say, "I keep all my records in PVC outer sleeves" are you talking about a very thick vinyl sleeve? The normal thickness poly sleeves commonly sold today are not PVC. They are fine. The ones that are a problem are the ones that we use to see used in libraries to enclose magazines and records and that we would occasionally see picture disks enclosed in.

Pimjazz0 and uzn007 like this.
  3. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

A simple answer - get rid of ALL PVC sleeves immediately - they are poison to records and can also damage CDs. Keep them at your peril.

ispace, All Down The Line and MGW like this.
  4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Yes!
    No!
    This is an issue caused by the gas that the PVC emits as it ages, paper and cardboard are no protection for your vinyl records. Get rid of the PVC outer sleeves as soon as possible.

Pimjazz0 likes this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Let me put it this way..............
    Keep them in the next suburb!

groovelocked, ispace and Pimjazz0 like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Serious question: What do you all do when you get a collectible record that comes in a PVC sleeve? I have one or two, and obviously, I've removed the records from the PVC and moved them into regular cardboard jackets, but I don't want to toss the sleeves because they have hype stickers, printing, etc., that would be valuable if I ever need/want to sell these. But I'm unsure how/where to store them. All my record-shaped storage areas are filled with records!

7. All Down The Line

Keep it of course but find another place to store it even if it is flat in a drawer or wardrobe.

8. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Okay thanks guys. That hurts…. The ones I have cost around 50 CTs a piece. So that’s around 150 euros worth of PVC sleeves I am going to throw away. Why the **** do they keep sellin this stuff?

9. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, that's what I had to do. I re sleeved all my 45s with new ones from Covers 33 and within weeks, had to throw them all in the bin as the dreaded fogging had started. Covers 33 by the way, didn't want to know when I contacted them so I'd steer clear of them.

10. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

KAJ1971 likes this.
  12. MGW

These are the ones that I use:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KT5WPN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced about 600 PVC sleeves that I had previously bought and used.

I know nothing about the ones that you link to but the Blakes ones seem very thin to me (0.05mm). The 450 gauge ones from Amazon UK that I have are about 0.1mm thick, which seems to be about right. I would be inclined to go with the 0.15mm ones that you link to (or the Amazon UK ones if you can get them).

Either way, replacing your 300 PVC sleeves costing €150 is likely to run to only about €50 to €60, so there is some better (if not good) news.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Polyethylene and polypropylene are both safe for vinyl.

Polypropylene tends to be crystal-clear, "crinkly," and very thin. Polyethylene bags tend to be thicker, slightly cloudy, and softer to the touch (the classic "record store sleeve," at least around here).

14. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

sbeaupre and fndrblndr like this.
  15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I was in the same boat circa 2015 and sold them in bulk on eBay, collection only. You won't get much money for them, but better than nothing.

Blake sleeves - note there are two sizes, one for single LPs and small doubles, and one for gatefolds.

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I use the BOPP sleeves, I assume I'm alright.

17. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Thanks again guys.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are you sure you are using PVC thick style outer sleeves and not the safer poly ones here?

The thread describes a PVC type that came with many picture discs. These are not usually sold apart from PD's or for school / public library use.

And no, it's not just PVC in direct contact with vinyl, it is the PVC being even near the vinyl. And no, paper sleeves around the LPs do not protect it from the gasing we have discussed in detail.

Please read the entire thread. It is long but a must for anyone with uncertainties.

(edit: I see some of these questions have already been answered)

uzn007, ispace and All Down The Line like this.
  19. MGW

These were widely available in the UK in the 1990s and 2000s, I assume the same would be true in the rest of Europe.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Throwing them away will actually save you way more than 150 euros to replace your ruined collection!

21. Not to throw a spanner in the works but I bought those sleeves in that era,when I first read about this issue I checked my records and all are fine.
    Just got lucky or are some PVC mixtures better than others,and that as we are not chemists or the makers of these sleeves we will never know.
    Could it be storage?
    If records are packed closely together,perhaps also in a cabinet could that prevent the gasses to not vent to atmosphere?
    I am not questioning anybodies claims,there is a reported issue though my collection has not suffered.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have some picture discs that did not fog at all, while others did. All in the same type of PVC. So it depends on the type of vinyl in combination with the sleeve.

23. MGW

I think that is the point - the issue exists. Some people have had all of their albums affected, some have had some affected and others have had none affected. From what I have seen and read the risk of albums being affected is sufficiently great that a precautionary approach is justified and getting rid of all PVC outer sleeves and replacing them with polyethylene (or nothing) is indicated.

As former UK PM Tony Blair said of climate change (paraphrased): the risk of doing nothing and being wrong is great, while the risk of doing something and being wrong is slight and the things we would do are largely those that we would wish to do in any case.

Incidentally, my LPs were and are packed tightly together in a cabinet and still, I detected the beginning of a problem on a few and the effects were slight (and thankfully just the beginning and on a few). There is no reason to suppose that tight packing would prevent gassing from, through, and to materials (that are packed tightly such as PVC, paper, card, and vinyl) there are plenty of gaps and space at a molecular level.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would not risk it. Apart from a few dedicated PVC sleeves that came with the record I removed all mine and replaced with the 400 gauge polythene type. I sustained no damage with records in sleeves even with some old PVC that started to yellow. Record against a PVC sleeve in just the inner is risky.

25. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Oh yes it’s the the thick ones for sure. They are sold as thick shiny PVC sleeves. To be honest: the reason I asked is because I experienced another problem with them. I’ve had two cases of the cardboard cover sticking to the PVC sleeve. When O tried to get them loose carefully I ruined the whole cover. When I was googling I bumped on the other problem.

I’ve decided to throw them all away. I believe all the people that say they haven’t got any problems with them (yet) but I don’t wanna take any risk.

uzn007 likes this.