Upgrade MC cartridge under 1000$ from 2M Black

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Charile, Aug 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What’s your phono amp?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It would help if you would say what kind of music you listen to.

One recommendation out of left field: one of the VAS modified Denon 103 models. Steve of VAS has three “flavors” based on your preferred music style. I recently got the VAS Ebony, a 103 with modified cantilever and stylus (and some other tricks) in an ebony body. Out of the box it was a bit light and brittle, but after 40 hours it has bloomed tremendously: great dynamics, deep but tight bass, huge soundstage, and detailed without being harsh or forward. It gives my Grado Reference 3 a run for its money at 1/3 the price. The Grado is definitely more refined and has more mid-bass warmth, but the VAS is addictive in how it draws you in. Steve sells on eBay, or you can go to him directly (he also does electronics and cartridge service/retipping).

JohnK

3. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

The only problem with that is - you never feel the need to upgrade until you hear how much better something can be reproduced.

Also, being satisfied is possible even with a boombox. You can also be satisfied with a great and balanced sounding midrange system that does everything right. But upgrading is not necessarily about being dissatisfied, but about wanting to take things further.

So that statement is a bit of BS as far as I'm concerned. It's great to ask yourself a fundamental question - how far am I going with this, but that's not what the guy was saying.

Benzion and Sterling1 like this.
  4. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

If you say so.
    He said you found the sound you like, why do you want to change it?
    I thought about it and decided he was right.
    Maybe you heard him say something else but I don't recall anyone else being on the phone.

Sterling1 likes this.
  5. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Did you read what I wrote?

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The only problem? Perhaps, there's no problem, or maybe the problem is chasing hillsides for greener grass.

7. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

It reminded me of when I first met Wendell Diller of Magnepan.
    I asked him if I'd be happy with whatever model of speaker it was.
    He goes, "how do I know what you'll be happy with?"
    Good point!

Sure, you can chase your tail forever with this stuff.
    Sometimes you just have to take stock of the situation.
    Like when we went to see Zappa at The Pier in NYC (outdoor concert) and we're talking up to the stage and we're looking at the sound system.
    My buddy goes, "Steve, can your stereo do this?"
    NOPE!

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Don't fight strawmen, please. For example - every upgrade I've made has been substantial in terms of sound quality. And simultaneously, with every system I've had I was satisfied. But how does that negate legitimacy and meaning in wanting to take things further? If you don't want to, that's great, but what the guy said is a shallow truism.

That's the point - you can be calm and satisfied and not function in a "greener grass" manner and still upgrade when you want to take the thing further.

Benzion likes this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Shallow truism, give me a break!

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I tried the audiounion.jp page. Too bad I didn't take Japanese in school.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, that makes two of us, but I usually just click the "Translate this page" link on the listing to put it through Google translate if I want a better idea of what it says...

[​IMG]

I wonder if our friend @Charile in Taiwan went ahead and bought one, I'd sure like to hear some more feedback on it after he's been using it for awhile. For the $844 price shown above, seems like a very nice cartridge.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

sutherland 20 20. the lemann black cube seii also works very well for the ART9

13. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

what’s the rest of your set up?

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I think I will see if my Parasound P6 Phono Stage will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.