Am I Being a Karen? Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello--

One week ago today, I placed an order for merchandise through a UK-based fashion retailer. It occurred to me today that I hadn't received a shipping notification, so I signed onto the company's website to investigate. Upon signing into my account, I discovered that 1) the item I purchased 1 week ago is now on sale for 25% less than I paid, and 2) this item I purchased last week was showing as not having shipped out to me yet.

It turns out that this company has no telephone nor email contact, but just a live online chat option. After waiting in the "queue" for about 10 minutes, it was my turn. The rep told me that the item was being prepared for shipment, and is slated to be sent off to me this week. Seeing as the item I purchased a full week ago hadn't even left their facility, I inquired about having the current 25% discount applied to my purchase retroactively, but I was denied. My next question was to request an order cancellation, and I would simply make the purchase again at the 25% discounted rate.

No can do. The company policy is that cancellations cannot be made after the order has been placed. Company policy is that I may return the item once it arrives here, less shipping.

What say you, SH brethren? Am I expecting too much on this one? The amount of money I'd save isn't going to affect my life, but I find it a strange sense of customer service-or lack thereof--to refuse a request to apply the currently-advertised discount on an item I purchased a week ago that is still sitting in their warehouse.

Thank you...

Dave and MrSka57 like this.
  2. Without knowing the price point, you might consider refusing delivery and it will get sent back to them on their dime.

Dave likes this.
  3. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A) Buyer is in the USA. Rules may not apply to buyers outside of the UK.
    B) No indication that a seller needs to pay return shipping on a canceled order

Good customer service would dictate matching a 25% price change for an item that had not yet shipped. But the buyer may well get hosed here.

Dave and Blue Devil like this.
  5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'd eat the difference and never do business with them again.
    Also might warn others of the quality of their customer service.

Shawn, Gene Parmesan and sharedon like this.
  6. Cancel through your credit card, walk away.

quicksrt, Dave and audiomixer like this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Seconded.

There is no reasonable explanation for a retailer to not be able to cancel or modify an order that has not been fulfilled yet.

And no, you are not being a "karen."

AaronW and zphage like this.
  8. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

you can cancel the order up to 14 days after delivery without giving a reason

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Again, those rules may not apply to non-EU purchasers and there is nothing that says that the seller is responsible for return shipping. Just that they must accept the return.

Blue Devil likes this.
  10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

As a point of information, those of us with family members named Karen refer to this class as Beckys.

And no, you are not a Becky.

I echo the earlier comment that you should eat the 25% and not do business with them again or, if you otherwise like their products and service, wait for the next sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.