Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I think I have encountered the bad sleeves 3 times:
    1) David Bowie - Blackstar (first and second press, dont know about others)
    2) Mastodon / Flaming Lips RSD inch - destroyed that record, I was too late
    3) Hypocrisy - Catch 22 (vs 2). I think Nuclear Blast used those sleeves on many records around 2008. I discovered clouding around 2015.

Bill Pafford and Lanark like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm sure it can happen anywhere. But there is a well-known era of Dutch LP covers that have a symptom where they become sticky as the years go by. It's like the print ink did not fully dry, and they become very sticky. I can imagine them sticking to those PVC sleeves like they are glued into them.

So good idea to dump those sleeves as soon as possible. But be aware of those Dutch printed covers. I am a big fan of Holland pressing BTW. Just love 70s and early 80s LPs like CBS and Decca from there. And it is not all the covers are at high risk. Just certain batches. These were not laminated, but semi-gloss.

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

With British 45s, I noticed none of my Decca label/ pressings were affected so it does appear some types of vinyl are less susceptible to this phenomenon.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

60s and early 70s Decca are for sure the vinyl type that can have reactions. Look at the US London FFRR classical pressings (pressed in the (UK) with their poly lined inners. The 45s might simply be able air themselves out easier.

Did you buy a bunch of thick PVC sleeves for your 45s? Not many people have those to worry about.

5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Same. I'd be surprised if there are any surviving copies that haven't been ruined.

Marko K likes this.
  6. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

no it were no Dutch pressings. A 1975 Japanese release on Contemporary records and a 1978 German release on ECM.

7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Thick PVC and non of my Decca singles were affected unlike EMI and particularly PYE pressings which were.

8. JSUB

JSUB Forum Resident

Anyone here have the new Metallica Black Album box set? If so, is the sleeve for the Sad But True picture disc one I should be worried about?

Greenalishi and Nate8 like this.
  9. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I think the issue with Decca albums, which I have seen, is called "bag rash" and doesn't appear to affect play, unlike the damage caused by thick PVC which gives off a gas and scorches the vinyl.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Isn't bag rash cause by PVC underwear?

TurtleIsland, Nate8 and Greenalishi like this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Don’t give up the day job.

Geordiepete, uzn007 and ispace like this.
  12. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Hilarious - thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

Geordiepete, Nate8 and Neonbeam like this.
  13. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

I have all of the metallica box sets which come with a picture disc in each, also in PVC. I'm going to replace them all with Mofi inners and call it a day. It'll be a bummer as they won't look as cool, but at least they won't get ruined.

I don't have a good alternative for the Metallica One 10". Anyone know of a place to get 10" non PVC inner sleeves? I'm sure it's already been mentioned but i don't want to try and re-read this thread! :D

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

10 Inch Record Sleeves

15. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

FrixFrixFrix and Greenalishi like this.
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

The MOFI ULTRACLEAR are new? are 4mil but more clear that the 1st that MOFI release? I can't find a review or a video of.

Time to order the ultraclears to test, hehe.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I bought the new reissue of Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing and MOV are still using PVC outer sleeves - I bought two copies and I wanted to keep one sealed, i.e. intact but I know the record inside will be ruined if I do...

ispace likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

70% chance. I have some picture discs that are not fogging up after 34 years in PVC. Then again, I have 45s that are just starting to fog in the thinner poly outer sleeves.

It seems to be a certain combination of vinyl formulation and the PVC covers.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

MOV normally use those envelope stick down mylar sleeves. In any case those hard polythene sleeves take years to go bad if at all in UK climate. I removed some yellowing examples after 40 years and no damage to the records at that stage.

JP Christian and uzn007 like this.
  20. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

They can "go bad" as you put it in months - I should know as I re sleeved all my 45s in the PVC type some years ago (from Covers 33 who when I contacted them couldn't have cared less) and they started to scorch the discs from the off. With all the information out there about these things, I'm amazed they're still being sold and used by people despite numerous warnings. And by the way, climate has nothing to do with it.

JP Christian and ispace like this.
  21. I have had records in PVC outer sleeves since the '80s and never had a problem,over the ages its the sleeves that have broken down.

22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

For some reason certain sleeves don't seem give off the gas - that was the case with mine until I replaced them with new ones. Also as I have said previously, certain labels seen to be impervious to the problem. The point is, who wants to take the chance? As a footnote, I understand that a large part of the BBC vinyl archive has been badly affected with this issue.

23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I like your post but a hot, humid climate can exacerbate it.

ispace likes this.
  24. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I've heard that theory but I think it leads to a false sense of security. The climate in my house is neither hot nor humid, same I would think for the BBC.

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have some personal experience having lived in Queensland for the last 40 years.

ispace likes this.