SH Spotlight "In The Wind" stereo SACD by Peter, Paul and Mary from Audio Fidelity. Mastering secrets post #271

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Are you aware that there are two PP&M recordings on SACD from Acoustic Sounds?

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

2. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Interested in comments on these...

Album 1700 is one of my favorite from the group. I find it as good as some of the early WB pressings on vinyl.

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Steve, any chance you could post a pick of the P, P & M "In the Wind" that Dylan autographed for you? If you can't I understand, no problem.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nooo, sorry. I shouldn't have even mentioned it, too personal..

6. Reader

Reader Senior Member

No problem, I shouldn't have asked. I'm just envious. Love all Dylan related.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

One of the most important albums in my life. Came to me when I was 8 years old. I played it endlessly and know every audio nook and cranny of it. I prefer the mono version, as that's the one I had. I was very disappointed in the cd release due to the unnecessary reverb. A flat transfer from the master would have been fine with me (in both mono and stereo, please). Hope this very worthy album can be revisited and restored.

Take a listen to Tiny Sparrow with Mary Travers vocal. Just wonderful.

WMTC, billnunan and '67 Chevy like this.
  8. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

I think it's unanimous then.

"Moving" should be next! :D

WMTC and billnunan like this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I picked this up yesterday and was annoyed by the echo - the tracks from Carry it On were much more "present" and I noticed the channels reversed.

The CD indicates that Peter remixed the album - did he do the same to the other albums releases or just (Moving)?

If not, why did he choose to remix just that one?

10. Steve Hoffman

What are you talking about? Read the thread title.

11. AppleCorp3

And lots of people were commenting on Moving, the annoying echo on the CD (that others did not have) and how they wanted you to work on it and give it the same treatment as In the Wind.

I was commenting that I noticed Peter had remixed that particular title on CD and was curious if he'd remixed any other title for CD.

12. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

You have me lost. The AF In The Wind is demo quality. AF didn't release Moving. And isn't Carry It On a Joan Baez album?

sgb likes this.
  13. AppleCorp3

You didn't read the thread, apparently.

Carry it On is a 4 CD + 1 DVD box set from 2004 - a great collection for someone who wants a more or less career spanning set right up through their last studio album with the obligatory rare tracks, and smattering of solo work.

14. Steve Hoffman

If you’re looking for a clean version of Puff, the Rhino Greatest Hits or Best Of has what sounds like a fine stereo remix on it, no added echo. Done by Bill Inglot. Also his fine stereo remix of the 45 version of Hammer is on there.

15. Steve Hoffman

Recorded almost 60 years ago, I played my Audio Fidelity version today and it still pleases me.

If you have it, try "All My Trials." Remember to adjust the volume to "human level," that is, what it would sound like if living people with acoustic guitars were standing in your room and singing without a PA. That might involve lowering the volume a bit..

Sounds real, doesn't it? Organic. Spooky good! So thank you to the late Bill Schwartau. He was an amazing recording engineer.

McLover, WMTC, 389 Tripower and 14 others like this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes it does.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  17. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

They are right there in the room with you.

18. Steve Hoffman

That they are, yes. Woman's been dead for years but she's standing right there.

bgiliberti and weekendtoy like this.
  19. bgiliberti

In the Wind has sounded great on LP, the first Warner CD, and Steve's SACD/CD. The latter is preferred, but if you have trouble finding it, you will be very happy with the Warner CD. Actually, except for Movin (really bad Warner CD and some cuts on In Concert are also very digitized), all of the Warner CDs sound vivid, natural, and alive to me.

20. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I think Movin’ was digitally remixed for CD around 1989 which would explain a lot.

bgiliberti and AppleCorp3 like this.
  21. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

Peter Yarrow added unnecessary reverb to Movin' when the CD was remixed. I wish they would have done a mono/stereo CD of the original mix for the album.

22. Steve Hoffman

Played the AF disc on the car today on the way to school, per request of my middle kid, pictured with his girlfriend.
    Sounded yummy and surprisingly lifelike in the car.

49AF52BF-C25B-498A-A791-CF4A1EBD50EC.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Chris C, fluffskul, snkcube and 6 others like this.
  23. bgiliberti

Steve, I just love the story you tell somewhere earlier in this thread about Dylan's big smile when you presented him with the ITW Warner LP for an autograph. Such a cool thing to do, and he appreciated it.

24. Steve Hoffman

I think in 1963 Dylan needed PP&M more than they needed him. Either way it was a great match.

25. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Whoever put all of that reverb on the CD version of Moving... I just brought up a track from it on YouTube and it sounds awful!

The original vinyl (how I listen to the album) sounds great!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    boggs, bgiliberti and billnunan like this.