Amazon vinyl subscription

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by I Have Been Floated, Jun 13, 2021.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

A co-worker who knows I collect vinyl was very excited to tell me he’d signed up for this service. He was psyched to have a Pink Floyd record be the first one he received. He does not have a turntable, so he’s just going to listen to it on streaming.

KDubATX and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Better than a modern Crosley oh & look at the Lady the guy at the Bottom is impressing with it ....or is she impressing him ? :shrug::biglaugh:

That thing rocks & is probably worth $$$ these days :righton:

superstar19 and Vaughan like this.
  3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Collecting records without owning a turntable seems like buying wine if you don't drink.... but to each their own. I have a gym membership and several streaming subscriptions I don't use... so who am I to throw stones?

TerpStation, Mark J, marcb and 4 others like this.
  4. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

Anyone know when they 'announce' or 'post' your next month's selection?

5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I never saw a notice but on the renewal date mid day it just showed up on my orders page.

DemonPreyer likes this.
  6. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

They chose Exile for me today. Already have it. Cancelled it and the subscription. Signed back up and they chose VH1. Cancelled it cuz, duh. Cancelled the subscription again and they chose VH1 again. Cancelled it. Guess I can't keep cancelling till I get what I want. :)

Davidmk5 and KDubATX like this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

They send me the "Who Sells Out". I was expecting something jazz, like my previous LP which was JohnColtrane's Giant Steps.
    Although I am not a big Who fan, this is a good record and I do not have another copy so I am going to keep it.

Davidmk5 and Gavaxeman like this.
  8. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

My selection is VH so I'm gonna keep that one since I don't have it on vinyl and never did.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

So, there's no special color variant or mastering? Just run of mill albums you see at stores and amazon cheaper that $25. I think i'll pass. ..

10. DemonPreyer

I randomly signed up again and got London Calling. I'm going to keep this as I've never had it before. But there is little information on the product page. It just says import/Sony Music Canada Inc..
    Anybody here that got this one, is it 180 gram or not?

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yes, it's 180g pressing. This is the copy sent to me.

DemonPreyer likes this.
  12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I received this one, which appears to be basically the same as what @ascot cited above. I thought I confirmed matrix code when I updated my discogs collection, but I guess I could double-check when I get a chance. 180g either way.

The Clash – London Calling (2015, 180 Gram, Vinyl)

DemonPreyer and ascot like this.
  13. DemonPreyer

Thanks! :tiphat: Ordered. I know a lot of these songs... dunno why I never had the album before. :wtf:

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I forgot all about this service, and just figured out what that "mystery" package arriving today from Amazon is ... it's my next selection from this club.

Apparently I'm getting this 2xLP set from Europe's Music on Vinyl label: Diana Ross & The Supremes – Number Ones (2015, Vinyl)

At least it's a double-LP (so it's a decent "value" for $24.99). And I really don't have any Diana Ross or The Supremes in my collection :hide: ... so unless this edition sounds like doo-doo ka-ka, I should be reasonably satisfied. I need to set myself a monthly reminder to go check my Amazon Orders page around this time of the month, so I can potentially skip a month before it actually ships...!

15. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Apparently this collection is a remix of their classics. After sampling it on Spotify I prefer the original mixes. Not that its bad but it just seems less airy then the originals and bass heavy. So I cancelled mine last month and resubscribed and ended up with VH.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I cancelled my subscription after I got The Who Sells Out. It was fun for a couple of months and I really liked the surprise element, I got the Coltrane and The Who, but ultimately I decided that it was not worthy, neither financially nor was there any collector's value for me.
    I think if I was a young vinyl lover starting building up my collection, I would have enjoyed this service much more.

17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Hmmm. Well, I'll keep open mind and ears, and give this Diana Ross & The Supremes – Number Ones (2015, Vinyl) a listen after it arrives today. Remix and modern mastering offers multiple ways to foul things up.

18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Digital remixes, digital master. I can't imagine why anyone would want this on vinyl.

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, Diana Ross & The Supremes – Number Ones (2015, Vinyl) sounds ... "okay." Maybe even "pretty good."

I've certainly heard many worse (less dynamic) LPs. I think it's well-mastered, given the concept of remixing these old hits.

The remixes to STEREO are a little weird for the tracks that originally hit number 1 in MONO. Doesn't sound exactly like what I heard on AM radio growing up in the 70s... But the remixes are fairly respectful of the original material (e.g., I didn't find the bass to be jacked up and modernized, as I had feared would be the case).

I feel like $24.99 was a decent deal, if only just barely so.

groovelocked likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Would you have randomly bought it for even $20 if not for the club? If not, Amazon’s certainly a winner here.

Only you can say if you also came out ahead (but don’t forget the opportunity cost of spending $25 on this LP rather than on something else)...

ispace likes this.
  22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, I'd probably say the same thing ("wouldn't have randomly bought...") about 90% of the music I get from different subscription services (Amazon Vinyl; Vinyl Me, Please; Joyful Noise).

But that's what is - to me, as a voracious eater of music I've never heard before - the core allure of most of these subscription services: Introduce me to something I've never heard before, and I'll trust that you've curated it thoughtfully and will give me something worthwhile.

Amazon Vinyl is the least thoughtfully curated of the three services I'm subscribed to, but I accept their methodology so far. I just have to be a little more on top of what's being selected for me each month, so that I can decline the ones I've already got, or am not in the least bit interested in hearing, or that I could easily buy outright elsewhere for less than $25 new. Now that I've set a recurring monthly reminder for myself, I will be more proactive about reviewing my monthly Amazon Vinyl selection prior to it shipping.

Opportunity cost is definitely something I'm evaluating, though. I'm taking a wait and see approach on how the Amazon Vinyl selections play out for several months, and if I decide that I'd rather spend that $25/month elsewhere than keep being offered relatively less enticing options from Amazon Vinyl, I will either cancel entirely, or just commit to staying on top of proactively canceling each month's selection that I am not interested in.

If Amazon would email and/or text me an alert the moment that the monthly selection hits my Orders queue, giving me a couple of days to review and cancel, I could see myself staying subscribed to this service indefinitely.

marcb likes this.
  23. DemonPreyer

I have tried and tried but I get Exile On Main Street as the selection no matter what I do. Until JUST NOW when they offered Simon & Garfunkel -
    The Concert in Central Park.

24. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

September pick is Dark Side of the Moon.
    “Arriving October 22 - Ordered Monday, August 30”
    What the…?

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They would up their coolness factor immeasurably if they'd ship Dark Side of the Moo instead.

[​IMG]

I imagine far fewer newbies have it already.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    superstar19 likes this.