releases from the 2000's that are out of print

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phillyal1, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not counting Record Store Day releases that are supposedly "limited release', are there major label releases by known artists that are out of print.
    We can make a mental note when we all are out shopping.

I know all of the Collectables Vee-jay releases are all out of print. Many were not comps, but the original albums e.g Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, etc.), and to my knowledge no other label has put them out again. I believe when a reissue label loses the rights, they have to stop selling them.

Anything else?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

First thing that comes to mind is the plethora of SACDs, both for new albums and reissues, that got dropped once that format flopped on the mainstream market. A few weeks ago I came across a 2002 SACD of Peter Gabriel's first album that was priced at 80-something dollars with a big "OUT OF PRINT" sticker on it.

Jarleboy, audiomixer, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  3. phillyal1

does Sundazed ever put any of its' reissues out of print? I used to see print catalogues for them occasionally, but not recently.

4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Most of Van Morrison's 21st century albums are out of print. Most of his 20th century albums are too, come to think of it.

Tons of major-label jazz releases from this period are out of print.

Lots of smaller-label jazz is hard to find. For example, all three of McCoy Tyner's final albums on his own label -- Quartet, Guitars, and Solo -- have been unavailable for years, and they're not on streaming services either.

5. phillyal1

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Time to get used to catalog moving to streaming only

ARK and audiomixer like this.
  7. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I would think there would be a lot, particularly from the early 00's which were 20 years ago or close. In the 80's, there were tons of 60's and 70's albums out of print.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, lots of Sundazed stuff is out of print as the licensing has expired.

9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I have about 90 Sundazed CDs and 2/3 are out of print now. Not much left on their website.

10. phillyal1

which ones?

11. BradOlson

A huge majority of the titles. Go to sundazed.com and search for ones in your collection to get a start.

12. BradOlson

BTW, Concord owns the surviving Vee Jay masters.

13. phillyal1

I am not sure when Rykodisc went out of business (before 2000?), but are any of their releases still in print ?

14. phillyal1

They (Concord) haven't released many full albums, only compilations, I think.

15. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

You'd be surprised how much is out of print. The REM live releases are, as is the DVD of Kraftwerk's "Minimum Maximum", some of the less common Flaming Lips albums, and so on.

16. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Most of the Jellyfish reissues by Omnivore are now out of print - just Bellybutton deluxe still available from their site.

17. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The album Tunde by Tunde Baiyewu (singer of Lighthouse Family) is out of print on CD and has never been on streaming services, despite being on a major label and a decent seller at the time.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Most albums from the 2000's only ever received one pressing, so technically they are out of print as soon as they are released.

19. phillyal1

Understand for vinyl, sure. Curious about CDs -- take an artist for example like Christina Aguilera -- big seller, still sort of popular. Do you think her catalog albums are still in print? There used to be a book/ catalog we could refer to when I worked many years ago at Sam Goody that had info like that for record sellers.

20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The last Rykodisc CD that I got was that Big Star album In Space, which was around 2005. I miss that label, especially since it was headquarted here in Salem, MA & I knew some of the people who worked there, including the founder. It was great that they had the Bowie, Elvis Costello, Zappa & especially the Undertones catalogues.

Maurice, JuanTCB, ARK and 6 others like this.
  21. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Chris Robinson's 2004 "This Magnificent Distance" long out of print....too bad because its one of the best albums you've never heard of. Try finding it, next to impossible . I ordered a copy a few years ago from Tower and it shipped from Germany.. thank God for streaming services

miinsane, veloso2 and downer like this.
  22. phillyal1

the great NYC band Brazilian Girls -- all out of print ?
    I think their last release was on Six Degrees. Bought a lot of Six Degrees releases in the budget racks -- is that label still around?

chris8519 likes this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Bob Mould has reissued his on his own label. Bowie’s, Nick Drake’s, Elvis Costello’s and Robert Wyatt’s still are, of course, and Zappa’s (I’m guessing - not much of a Zappa fan). The Undertones are in print in the UK at least, on Sanctuary, last I heard.

I’m not sure about the Mission of Burma and Meat Puppets reissues, though. The Soft Boys records fall in and out of print frequently, but Rykodisc did assemble a great two-disc compilation for The Soft Boys that has never been reissued. That set included both sides of the Boys’ debut single, which isn’t reissued very often.

There are interesting one-off Rykodisc releases, like the Born to Choose benefit CD, that have never been reissued, though some of the tracks on it have been collected elsewhere.

phillyal1 likes this.
  24. phillyal1

I have that Soft Boys -- it had been misfiled -- just found it !!

25. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Labels used to take titles out of print on purpose in order to build up demand for reissues. The growth of streaming over the last 10 years has killed that off because the music never stops being "available". However, as casual buying falls out of the market, physical runs are being made in the number the label believe they can sell. So there are new releases that go O/P on the day of release - take the average RSD release, sold out on the day and it ain't coming back (except in a different vinyl colour...). Nothing becomes "unavailable" but a fraction of what is available is actively in print (which is not the same as unavailable - half of what you'll find in HMV won't be restocked once the copies they have are actually sold).

Anaplian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.