Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

I have Red Garland's Piano. I bought on Deep Discount years ago, the quality is pretty good.

2. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

For a moment, I thought you were bragging about having his actual piano!

Shawn, Matt I, Jeff Edwards and 2 others like this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i assume the listing on their site is just for the 2014 which is probably not technically out of print:
    Red Garland With Paul Chambers And Art Taylor – Red Garland's Piano (2014, Vinyl)

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, maybe he was. He didn't provide pics, so it's possible he just bought the piano. Retrofit with a paper roll of Red Garland's playing, and you have a cost-effective way to reproduce the music without needing the album.

Shawn, latheofheaven and Patanoia like this.
  6. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Somebody's been having their Wheaties... :agree: Cost effective :laugh:

kwadguy likes this.
  7. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

LOL Sorry, I do NOT have his actual piano. I wish! Alas, I only have this vinyl album CALLED RGP.

latheofheaven and Patanoia like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Jazz Images isn't grey market. About - Jazz Images

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Call it what you want. "EU Copyright expiration" is the same thing.

Take a look:

Miles' Kind of Blue with some crappy alternative artwork. All you need to see to know that they're selling unlicensed product, probably using CDs as "masters". All the lipstick won't change that pig.

[​IMG]

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Jazz Images officially licenses both the music and the art they use. Read their site. It isn’t the same as DOL, WaxTime, etc., that take advantage of copyright expiration.

Edit: they use alternate art because that’s what they do. Lots of photos by people like Leloir, Wolff, and a few others. The use of alternate art, by itself, does not prove that the music is unlicensed.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's the back of that Miles reissue:

[​IMG]

Do you see any licensing information indicating under license from Columbia/Sony? Nope? That's because it's not licensed. Stop deluding yourself. This is copyright expiration nonsense with nicer packaging than most--but it's still mastered from someone else's CD.

Oh, and it says (P)&(C) 2020 OBER Entertainment. Again, Sony would never allow that to appear without, at minimum, an "under license from..." designation.

DMM + CD-as-master: Your promise of quality.

12. Gabe Walters

Are we talking about the same thing? That Kind of Blue doesn't look like any Jazz Images release I've seen. Seriously, just visit their website. https://www.jazzimagesrecords.com/

It's a partnership with Zev Feldman involved as a producer. You think he risks his relationships with all the labels he works with stateside by releasing grey market stuff in the EU? Come off it.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's linked right off their page:
    - 20th Century Masterworks

Pelvis Ressley and latheofheaven like this.
  14. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Can we change this thread title to "Dying On Grey Market Jazz Label Hills"

Adam6437, Kevin j, kwadguy and 3 others like this.
  15. Gabe Walters

I’m talking about this series, with the Jazz Images branding: Homepage - Jazz Images
    There is license info on those.

It’s not clear how the “20th Century Masterworks” series relates to the Jazz Images series, but the link does imply some connection, I’ll grant you.

16. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

You can continue the discussion here … it is interesting stuff.

Jazz Images 180G Reissues

17. The "deluxe" reissue CD from last year for Beachwood Sparks' excellent Beachwood album has hit a measly $6. I've been tracking this since release and they must have over estimated demand. Includes free MP3 copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MSLXF9K

Dignan2000, Rekkerds, SJP and 5 others like this.
  18. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I received mine (paid $24.64 on August 11th). It's the European edition, made in Germany at Optimal (versus USA edition at Pallas).

I just played the album disc (not the companion disc), and the sound was very dynamic to me. Pressing was flat and quiet. I'm happy with this edition of LZ II on vinyl.

Only odd thing was - the hype sticker is directly on the front cover (under the shrinkwrap).

As of this writing, it's down to $23.41 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXHBVTG/

Matt I, keef00, JasonA and 6 others like this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I received the album yesterday (not the dog hoody...my dog was disappointed).

21. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

is the new led zep II deluxe vinyl digital?

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

New? I think it was released six or seven years ago.
    There is digital in them thar hills ...

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

The 2014 edition (the one I received) I'm pretty sure is digitally-sourced. I think that's how Jimmy Page likes to handle remasters?

24. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

sad jimmy would do that to the young people getting into vinyl.....the RL hard to find nowadays clean copy but piros is not bad for the young bucks getting into vinyl.....I still got my classic records version as could never find a RL that was clean enuf without paying too much...

25. VinylSteals

VinylSteals Forum Resident