Time Travelling on the Planet of the Apes - my definitive timelines of the original POTA series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

I know about the 1972 Japanese theatrical release, but the 2008 blu-ray is sourced from the original elements, even the extended/alternative cut.

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

The riot is from the Japanese version. Both the regular version and extended cut are the same. Fox branched in the riot from the Japanese version to make the extended cut.
    You can tell as the audio drops and is not as clean visually and audibly as the regular version riot. The audio cue is correct though.
    As I posted adnauseum the pre title/ prologue was cut and parts were repurposed when Caesar escapes and runs around the city. Look very closely their are shots of guards coming and going with wrong helmets (not continuity) and showing up in the corners of the screen when Caesar is under the steps.
    Part of the reason Conquest was never released with the pre title sequence would be parts are seen again in that Caesar running around scene before his execution. They ,Fox, would have to dig deeper and get the preview version shown in Arizona in early June 1972. Maybe that negative or print was destroyed. To return everything to the way it was would need the original filmmakers but they are all dead.
    People like myself know how it would go together but you know...?!
    PS. Why is the audio cue on HBO max and some other showings from the early 2000's have the unused musical cue as Caesar kills the guard after his fake execution- curious...I've heard three different music version cuts/cues for that brief scene but they are all based on the original Tom Scott track. What a conundrum:confused:. John M.

Timeline Man and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

An actual straight adaption of 'Monkey Planet' could be cool, but while I like the original book well enough, what they did when they adapted the book to film for the 1968 film, it blows the book outta the water. The movie is superior to the book, IMO. Your view may vary...

Timeline Man likes this.
  4. Timeline Man

No, you're right. The 1968 movie is a supreme masterpiece.

I love that Burton created that twist at the very end reminiscent of "Monkey Planet", even.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. Timeline Man

In truth, the video/audio quality of the riot extension is superb and top notch.

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It’s funny hearing the novella referred to as “Monkey Planet”, because that title was only used in the UK. It was always translated as “Planet of the Apes” in the US, and even the UK editions shifted to that title when the films came out.

AlienRendel and Timeline Man like this.
  7. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

:goodie::help:. The sound at parts are slightly problematic like when Governor Breck (Don Murray) yells in the command center "just massacre the lot" which was cut from the American version cause that's a British expression so saying 'Lot' was deemed excised because anyone outside of Great Britain would not understand the term. Also his speech is muffled on the bloody original riot scene when the Apes blow torch the command doors, "how did they learn to use such tools". On the blu ray at least. Overall it's OK. It still needs a remastering none the less. John M.

8. Grand_Ennui

But what was the title in France, the country of the novel's origin? That's the one that really counts... :)

Timeline Man likes this.
  9. Timeline Man

If the original elements for the extended cut still exist in the vaults, they will do a 4K version of it. Hopefully.
    On the other side, the theatrical cut is obviously the canonical one, that's canon for the world and the POTA fandom. The extended cut is still a "What If" universe.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  10. Timeline Man

We can easily explain that by assuming that the guards did not see Caesar under the steps. They were walking around in the city by default.
    About the helmets, we can assume that there were different ranks or units at work, each of them with a different helmet/suit.

11. Timeline Man

In french, Apes is translated as "Grands Singes", so I guess that the correct English translation for the original title of the 1963 novel is "The Planet of the Monkeys". I guess.

Hominoidea — Wikipédia

12. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yes because of Battle. Conquest at preview is Canon to some of us cause that's what Dehn, Thompson, Jacobs, Capra jr, Mcdowall Surtees, and Tom Scott believed in and publicly said in later intervies.
    Battle can still be included but you know some narratives need ignoring. In fact except for the Extended version of Battle I can ignore the whole film. Battles original script ideas had a more dark and violent air about it and if Paul Rehn did not get I'll it could of been much better.
    Jacobs wanted a "kids" film thinking about his possible TV series. He soon died of a massive heat attack and Fox got the rights not his wife Natalie Trundy, and was handled poorly. The films should of stayed gritty as starting with Beneath and culminating with Conquest.
    We were the kids and did not want kid films. It was a gritty, truthful decade that still loved truthful depressing endings that were done intelligently. John M.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Maybe, but when the guard runs to where Caesar is hiding and is about 10ft away then suddenly he is wearing a dress cap and a totally different physicality it's obvious and Very true Fox just used the footage cause it was shot wonderfully by Bruce Sutees. It's a scramble to make a PG film from the R rated one they shot...shame...John.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Look how Rudely Scott saved "Kingdom of Heaven" with his original cut, amazing. Look how directors are getting the chance to correct film history through their original versions of films. "Bladrunner" another one. Whatever. Take care, Me.

Canon or not films should and can be shown on blu ray in the form the directors envisioned and filmed and submitted. John...

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Some artistic license is necessary when translating. The English version could have gone with “Planet of the Simians” or “Simian World” or whatever the publisher preferred.

Timeline Man likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

That's why I prefer the novel of BATTLE to the film...

While it's still essentially the same story in general, the book handles the material better... At least the novelization has Caesar telling the other apes to defend their city and fight back (i.e. kill the mutants rather than the B.S. of throwing giant nets over them and taking the prisoner)...

There are times I even like the Power book and records' adaption better-At least in there, Aldo actually comes across as someone who *could* be a threat to Caesar, not the bumbling fool Claude Akins played him as...

Shawn and apesfan like this.
  17. Timeline Man

I pretty much know that. I use the UK title, "Monkey Planet", in order to distinguish it from the Planet of the Apes movie saga. Occam's razor at work.

Grand_Ennui and will_b_free like this.
  18. Timeline Man

BATTLE is a terrific action movie with some disturbing imaginery. It felt fresh and modern. ALSO, I'm 100% glad that it's a slightly lighthearted movie filled with hope, because having Caesar changing the past and altering the timeline makes Taylor and Brent's sacrifice in BENEATH meaningful and worthwhile for the entire human race.
    IF Escape, Conquest and Battle were integral parts of a fixed timeline/casual loop, then the entire 5-movie arc would be pointless and gratuitous from the start.

We also know that Taylor and Brent would arrive in 3978/3979 as "before", meeting a brand-new, peaceful and advanced Planet of the Apes.

19. Timeline Man

Well, we can just pretend that he changed cap inbetween the shots, or that he was ANOTHER GUARD reaching his colleague in order to search for Caesar. Off-screen. Fixed for you.

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I meant Ursus as I was referring to the films, not the TV series. CBS showed them on the CBS Friday Movies. That's why they were such an event for us- we could stay up late!

This blog has the dates: A Shroud of Thoughts: The Planet of the Apes Craze Remembered

With regards to the TV series, it was not as good as the movies, but I still liked it and was sad when it was cancelled. The movies covered so much that it was hard for the series to come up with something different.

apesfan and Timeline Man like this.
  21. Timeline Man

The TV series became a massive cult show all around the world, except for my country, Italy. They never aired it here. We never had a "POTA Craze".

22. Timeline Man

Grand_Ennui and apesfan like this.
  23. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’ve seen this series dozens of times. While I’m no slouch, I’m no expert either. One thing that has always bugged me and maybe you guys can shed some light.
    After the second film reveals that the beach caves were in NYC. Where exactly did Taylor and company crash land? Also I fully understand that the shoreline has been drastically altered due to erosion and nuclear war, but how did the Statue of Liberty end up where it did? If the caves are Manhattan, the placement doesn’t make sense. Also yes I know it was filmed in California.

Timeline Man likes this.
  24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

The original 1st draft screenplay from Dehn is fantastic. Find and read that! Take care, John M.

25. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.