Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Trevor Baxter

Trevor Baxter Member

2. Trevor Baxter

Trevor Baxter Member

You’re right, that’s what I’m thinking of, my mistake! Regarding the Gonzo box, I’m currently working my way through… playing the Worcester Centrum discs and the case contains 3 cd’s and a dvd. It appears the complete concert is on discs 1&2 and the third disc is labelled Pensacola 9 April. (The Pensacolacola box also has all three discs). I’m guessing this is a packing error. Anyone else got an extra disc?

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Extra cola = Extra disc

4. Trevor Baxter

Trevor Baxter Member

You’re right. That’s the one I have- my mistake!

5. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

My copy of Worcester has the correct amount of discs, looks like you got a spare.

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I spotted an interesting note in the credits: "Gonzo does NOT wish to thank: Daniel W Earnshore."

I couldn't find anything online about any Daniel W. Earnshore, but according to Henry Potts, Yes's "copyright management is by Daniel Earnshaw." So I'm guessing there was some friction there but I have no clue what the story is.

Mr. Potts' website also has a section about Union 30 Live which is pretty informative, but I disagree with the statement that disc 2 of the Wembley set is "from a soundboard recording." Listening to it, I can hear individual handclaps and occasional chatter which make me think it's most likely an audience recording, albeit a relatively good-sounding one.

So far I've listened to Pensacola and Worcester all the way through. Both recordings appear to be the audio track from the accompanying DVDs, and both have interruptions during tape changes, occasionally mid-song.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  7. SJB

I just spotted this on the MusicGlue website - they're taking preorders for a standalone edition of the pro-shot Shoreline show as a three-disc set (DVD plus 2 CDs) for $28 U.S. A welcome alternative for someone who wants a good quality recording from the tour but doesn't want to pay hundreds of dollars/pounds for a massive box set.
    Yes - Union 30 - Yes – Shoreline Amphitheatre, 8th Aug 1991
    I can't tell from the listing whether the CDs simply replicate the music on the DVD (as with the 2011 release), or whether they have the added tracks found on the box set (Lift Me Up, Shock to the System, and half of And You And I from Shoreline, and the Drum Duet and Changes from Burgettstown). The track list on the website just lists what's on the DVD, but there have been errors before and the set is already mastered with the extra tracks.
    [​IMG]

8. TwentySmallCigars

The CD's contain the following:

1. Firebird Suite
    2. Yours is No Disgrace
    3. Rhythm of Love
    4. Shock to the System
    5. Heart of the Sunrise
    6. Clap - Mood for a Day
    7. Make It Easy - Owner of a Lonely Heart
    8. And You and I
    9. Drum Duet
    10. Tony Kaye Solo
    11. Changes
    12. I've Seen All Good People
    13. Solly's Beard
    14. Saving My Heart for You
    15. Whitefish - Amazing Grace
    16. Lift Me Up
    17. Rick Wakeman Solo
    18. Awaken
    19. Roundabout

Pete Puma likes this.
  9. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

First of all a fair amount of Gonzo releases are 'grey market' releases where the record label has no idea about and many of the artists do not get paid for these releases. Earnshaw worked with Jon Anderson on the Opio tapes but I also think he had a hand in that bootleg of Jon Anderson's 'Animation' released a number of years ago sourced from a terrible vinyl copy and brickwalled to death. The owner of Gonzo is the same person that used to run Voiceprint in the UK and some of their releases were very questionable. Maybe he gave Gonzo a hard time but honestly they should have not mentioned his name at all as it will only draw more attention to a not fully authorized by the band release. Rick is an exception as he does release a number of his albums on Gonzo but once you get into Yes well let's just say this set is not 100% legit.

walrus and warewolf95 like this.
  10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

This upcoming individual release says it has 14 tracks including the introduction so who knows what will be on this stand alone release.

11. TwentySmallCigars

I know. The DVD has 14 tracks. The CD has the tracks I listed here.

Gonzo is not going to press different CD's with an alternate track selection for a stand-alone release. The discs will be the same as the ones in the box. Especially since the artwork & packaging is the same.

Futurecity and Scottb like this.
  12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I recently got the Voiceprint dvd from 2006 or so of the ABWH show and it is very grey-area looking, lol.

13. SJB

The band promoted the set a few months ago on their official website and Twitter account.
    UNION LIVE LIMITED EDITION - Yesworld
    https://mobile.twitter.com/yesofficial/status/1406912627553587203?lang=en

14. SJB

You may well be right, particularly because the artwork shows the same catalog number as the Shoreline component of the box set. But because the order page shows the shortened track list, I wanted to take the different possibilities into account. Certainly they've put out incorrect information about the box's contents.

...Those are the listed tracks, but Howe's solo on the Shoreline set does not include "Mood for a Day," and the track credited as "Tony Kaye Solo" is actually the first 90 seconds of "Changes." (There is a Tony Kaye solo on the Pensacola set, but the packaging doesn't mention it.)

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

They did release a lot of great stuff just some of it wasn't authorized by the people that normally authorize CD/DVD releases.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I have the older Union box set that came with 2 DVD's as it had a second show and 2 CD's of the shoreline show audio. Do you think the video on the DVD is an upgrade? Also the same for the CD's as the CD's from the older set sound pretty good to me.

Thanks

18. SJB

I haven't watched any of the DVDs in the box yet - I'm gradually making my way through the whole thing. So I can't comment yet on the picture quality on the Shoreline DVD. I thought someone else said there was some degree of picture improvement but I can't find the post now so maybe it was a hallucination. As far as audio quality, I haven't carefully compared the 2011 and 2021 discs. I'm terribly unhelpful in that regard.

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

That's good news for me.. as I wanted to get the Shoreline separately (CD/DVD). thanks!

20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

To this I say Yes.

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes someone did say the picture quality is better. I guess I will probably get this set. I knew this was going to come out but I didn't think it would be this close to when the box set came out. I hope Amazon(US) gets this as it's much easier for me and then if there are any problems or packaging issues I could get another copy very easily and not have to send mine back to the UK

22. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Dear oh dear. I'm more confused than ever about whether to get this now. :)

Mang likes this.
  23. SJB

Well, I've gotten as far as plotting out tracks and timings anyway. In case anyone else feels similarly inclined, this just barely squeezes in every title for which decent professional recordings can be found on the set:

Disc 1 79 min
    Yours Is No Disgrace (Shoreline)
    Rhythm of Love (Wembley)
    Shock to the System (Shoreline)
    Heart of the Sunrise (Wembley)
    Clap (Shoreline)
    Make It Easy/Owner of a Lonely Heart (Wembley)
    And You And I (Wembley)
    Drum Duet (Denver)
    Hold On (Denver)
    Saving My Heart (Shoreline)

Disc 2 78 min
    Tony Kaye Solo (Denver)
    Changes (Wembley)
    I’ve Seen All Good People (Wembley)
    Solly’s Beard (Shoreline)
    Long Distance Runaround (Denver)
    Whitefish (Denver)
    Lift Me Up (Shoreline)
    Wakeman solo (Shoreline)
    Awaken (Shoreline)
    Roundabout (Wembley)

I disregarded Burgettstown because I found workable versions of everything on the other three shows. Denver has a couple of unique performances but I kept it to a minimum because Wembley and Shoreline have better mixes.

There's just no room for "Firebird Suite," but that's all right because it's a taped orchestra rather than a band performance anyway.

Rather than add a few odds and ends to Shoreline, I substituted tracks in a few places, because of superior sound or performances. The Shoreline "Lift Me Up" is the best-sounding on the set, but it's unfortunate that Trevor apparently had technical issues with his guitar during the solo. The silver lining there is that you can hear Rick's inventive little decorations, always mixed too low on that song. The Wembley version of "Awaken" sounds pretty good, but Jon forgets the words at one point and spends several lines tripping over his own tongue, so I kept the Shoreline version.

"Saving My Heart" is arguably in the wrong place, but it's what would fit in that spot. Anyway, they never played all these songs at the same show, and some songs moved around a little, so there's some artistic license. And on the Shoreline tape, "Saving My Heart" segues straight into "Whitefish" so I'd need to do something creative in Audacity, like fade the song out and fly in some applause. The segue from Kaye's solo into "Changes" will require some finesse, too - I don't want to use the Denver version of "Changes" because the mix is kind of wonky.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    highfell and Mang like this.
  24. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I just received this email from Music Glue regarding the Vinyl boxes. Good news is that it seems they are now shipping. Bad news is that apparently we won't be able to remove them from the boxes! Seeing as it's the "union" box it's quite ironic as the contents will obviously arrive in union forever with the box itself, never to be removed without damage! I think someone obviously made a mess up of the dimensions...

[​IMG]

25. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Maybe the word "glue" is the key here?