Receiver needs servicing..........hope I don't have to replace it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I don't think there is much of anything that cannot be repaired on a 980, except maybe a unique switch. All parts available still on the boards I believe. If you really like it an want it better, and more reliable, I'd do more than just repair whilst in the shop.

The Pinhead and TheVinylAddict like this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Be careful and stay safe it's weird out there.

M~

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Agreed, if I were in his shoes, I'd get that 980 singing, regardless of buying something new too!

Bruno Primas likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

The ¨doctor¨ just called from the hospital saying he can't find any fault with it, that MAYBE it's just some dirty contact, that he'll get back to me with what he finds; so far everything is within spec inside. I told him to revamp everything, cost no object relatively speaking, because anything will be cheaper than buying a modern one, esp new.

I'd thought of the Rotel 1570; some guy sells one for U$ 1500 on the local Ebay, but has no proof of purchase, yet he claims he bought it new and used it for only 3 year (this model was made from 2013 and it's discontinued now) so for all I know it might be even stolen. Guy has box and manual and cosmetically it's spotless. Any thoughts on this amp ?

Rattlin' Bones likes this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

That's frustrating. Happened to me with my NAD amp over the period of almost a year with three different repair shops. The problem came back and that was it for my decision to move on (to an even older Adcom amp which has remained bulletproof).

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The problem used to appear randomly but once in a while; I waited till it showed up every time I used it, and now no ¨no fault¨ . My biggest fear. Maybe it was just a stubbborn contact inside that got jolted with the car trip to the store ? Adcom trumps NAD in my book so congrats man !

Boltman92124 likes this.
  7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I actually thought the NAD 216 was a great sounding amp. It was a mosfet design and had a warm, big bottom end I really liked. The Adcom 535 is a back up now to my newer Parasound 275v2. Your Pioneer is gorgeous. Wouldn't blame you for keeping it going!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  8. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Repair kits are available on ebay. This one is just a sample I pulled.

Pioneer SX-980 rebuild restoration recap service kit fix repair capacitor | eBay

My $.02; I have a minty SX-1010. Had it re-capped and serviced last year. $460 including mesmerizing new blue LED's. Good as new. Your 980 is a 80wpc. Probably all hand wired. It also has that desirable mono switch if you're into older vinyl.

The Pinhead and Bruno Primas like this.
  9. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

Could be something like an intermittent solder joint. I’d still have it repaired. You’re obviously not a gear flipper and like it. Switching to something else could be a mixed bag unless you can listen on your speakers before you fully commit.

Side note. I still have an Adcom GFA-535 mk2 that I use in my lab and as a back up amp. The 535 is the best sounding Adcom from that era, even though the 555 was the popular one. I’m still contemplating rebuilding the power supply with a new board from hoppesbrain.com, but I’m never short of projects. Maybe this Winter…..

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

My 535L got a little noisy in the right channel. All I did was replace the internal fuses and Deoxit everything inside and it improved. Haven't had it hooked up for awhile but tempted. Afraid it's going to sound better than my new Parasound! :yikes:

OhHiMahk likes this.
  11. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

check out Hoppesbrain.com. I can’t remember if it was that one or the original 535 that could be improved with some better grounding. But I remember something about noise in one channel being mentioned.

12. The Pinhead

Absolutely a gear keeper. I fall in love with something and never want to change it.

That's the idea, but down here they only repair what's broken really. Every tech I've asked for a complete recap has turned me down.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  13. The Pinhead

My fear exactly. I'd like to be buried with it if possible, which, at 60, is maybe not too much to ask for:laugh:

OhHiMahk likes this.
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Your Pioneer SX-980 is a gem. They regularly sell for over $1,000. Besides the emotional attachment, it's just an excellent piece of kit that can't be replaced under $1k, so worth the effort to fix.

I know about emotional side: we inherited my wife's dad's Yamaha receiver. Unfortunately it didn't work for long. developed a hum and other similar symptoms to yours. But ours was a low-end Yamaha that wasn't worth $200 if in excellent condition, so we made a Goodwill donation of it. The good thing was it re-kindled our interest in hi-fi and we've since grown our system to some quite nice modern pieces and enjoy collecting vintage jazz vinyl, all because of her dad's receiver.

15. The Pinhead

1000 bucks here too; don't think anything under a Yamaha AS-1000 can replace it. Hope I'm wrong though.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had one! and loved it...my son has it now....

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The receiver is beyond time to rebuild.

18. The Pinhead

Meaning too late ? Rebuild I will if the tech says it's necessary and feels up to the task. But they just don't rebuild here; can't force them. No easy access to parts like in the USA.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Hand truck, moving blanket and bungee cords should solve the moving it from place to place problem. Top of the rack to the hand truck no problem for two people. Good luck. :)

20. The Pinhead

Strong big friend with a van solved my problem already, but thanx for the idea anyway.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. The Pinhead

I do own a 60wpc Technics SU-V5 in perfect running order. It might take the Pioneer's place in case it turned out to be a lost cause. Sounds grreat but it's inferior to the Pioneer. I use it to watch concert DVDs on a secondary system, which I'd unify with my primary; worst case scenario that is.

22. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Definitely not too late nor lost cause to refurb or fix the 980.

Yes, hard to get a tech that will do as you ask, strange how they are that way, but it is common. Likely your tech will be that way as well. If he is just ask if he'd fix the immediate problem, clean all switches/contacts, then replace all caps in the power supply. Probably no more the 8 capacitors there. This is something you should likely hear (as better) and in the realm of something your tech might do in lieu of an entire recap.

I believe if you advertised for your needs someone at AK would do a restoration for you.

23. The Pinhead

Thanx, but what's AK ? Missouri ? I'm in Buenos Aires-Argentina, hence, the problem.

24. AL01

AL01 Eh?

AK is Audio Karma, (forum that focuses more on vintage things).

25. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Was wrong, 12 electro caps in your power supply

[​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.