The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

On Organissimo there is no problem at all finding the Mosaic section because it’s a principal feature over there. However, the boards are constituted differently, with different philosophies.

2. Woah! First I'm seeing of this. Anyone have anymore info on what sort of material could be included? Like from what decade(s)? Or any other details??

3. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

Hello, longtime lurker, first time poster. I spent the long months of the COVID pandemic and its kinda sorta aftermath (?) getting way deep into 1) Blue Note jazz titles and 2) the wealth of knowledge and sheer musical joy that is the phenomenon of the Mosaic box set. I love these things, and I'm spending way too much money on them! But it sparks joy, and I think I remember reading somewhere that you should only keep around those things that satisfy your soul.

Here's my question: I recently acquired The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sesssions (disc VI spinning now), but the booklet is missing the first and last pages. I'm aware that this was a fairly common problem, having read up already on the Organissimo forum. But I am not a member there, so I was wondering if some kind soul here might share pages 1-2 and 15-16? Thank you in advance for any assistance, and for making this place a wonderful corner of the awful internet.

jlrchrds likes this.
  4. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I do not have the book but have the cds. Email Scott at Mosaic. He may have a complete book for $20. I’ve purchased several from him. Didn’t look where you live… but if you’re near Chicagoland, Chicago public library (Harold Washington) may have the book and you can copy it. Good luck, but I suspect someone here will you help you out! Jeff

V.S. likes this.
  5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I don’t think the Jones booklet is still available. Let me ask on O.

V.S. likes this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I am missing the Coleman Hawkins book. What is Scotts email? Much appreciated

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

[email protected]

Stu02 likes this.
  8. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

A member of this forum has offered to do a scan for me. Score one for the good guys -- and me. I emailed Scott around quitting time this afternoon, and therefore haven't heard back yet. I did see where somebody on Organissimo was was able to acquire the Jones booklet direct from Mosaic last August, which you have to admit is pretty amazing.

As for the music, I got the Elvin set mainly because, in another life, I was a rock n' roll drummer, and like me Mr. Jones he hits 'em hard! But what I really want to know is, what in the world is Jan Hammer (aka the Miami Vice guy) doing playing piano like that on Disc 5, Track 3 ("Lungs")? Goodness gracious.

Dignan2000 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Elvin Jones Is On The Mountain. Check that album out :thumbsup:

JakeM and V.S. like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I know "Lungs" from John Abercrombie's album Timeless. Hammer tears it up there too (Hammond B-3 and mini Moog) with Jack DeJohnette on drums.

JakeM and V.S. like this.
  11. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will do that -- although the stack of stuff "to listen to" grows faster than any human being could keep up. I mean, these Mosaic sets are often six to eight discs apiece; indeed, quite a few of the sets I'm picking up include discs that have never even been opened.

Another one to check out. Thanks! And apologies to Jan Hammer if my previous post seemed a bit glib. I am aware nowadays of his storied career, but I could not say that back when my teenage self first encountered his day-glo Vice-era stylings. But hell, it was the 80s: even Zappa did a guest turn with Crockett and Tubbs.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Hammer did pretty much leave jazz for pop/rock by the 80's. A sensible career move in some ways but too bad.

V.S. likes this.
  13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That’s good. I started a thread at O so I will delete it.

14. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting the thread over there. I’d love to gain entree to that forum — lots of great jazz discussion, much of it Mosaic-centric. Seems like a tough club to join. Oh well.

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have been on that forum for a few years. I seldom post anything. They have some pretty knowledgeable jazz people who contribute. Why do you say its a tough club?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  16. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

I agree about the great information shared and love of jazz on the O. When I said tough club to join, I meant that the process of joining the forum is a bit obscure, not to say exclusionary. I never did get Twitter (can't spell Twitter without twit?), but I was on Facebook for a long time, and I've contributed to music fan sites since the first "message boards" back in the 1990s. Which is to say, I've seen enough to understand why any group of like-minded people might want to keep trolls and other malevolent internet personality types to a minimum. (Speaking of cyber-etiquette, I don't want to stray too far from the topic of this great thread.)

17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

IIRC the forum owner used to have all new member registrations automatically approved, but at some point spammers became enough of a problem to where he started manually adding/approving new accounts. I believe all that's required is to email him.

I suspect one or more of the other members who've posted in this thread may have already provided the relevant details to you, but if not, PM me and I'll dig them up and forward them to you.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  18. V.S.

V.S. Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw the sticky and wrote directly to Jim Alfredson. Thanks!

Dave Garrett likes this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Please let me know if you don’t get any response and I will contact him on FB.

V.S. likes this.
  20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Jim's on tour now with Janiva Magness so may not get back to you right away.

V.S. likes this.
  21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Just got email that Paul Desmond is running low

22. J.A.W.

The Paul Desmond Toronto Mosaic is running low. I was on the fence about this set because I wasn't too fond of the guitar - the sound, not the playing - but decided to get it after all. Glad I did, and I recommend it to anyone who's not sure whether or not to get it - grab it while you can.

Parkertown, Sorcerer and A.B. like this.
  23. A.B.

A.B. Active Member

Please, is there any on-line shop in Europe (in addition to JAZZmessengers) selling this set? Thank you!

24. A.B.

A.B. Active Member

... Apparently not...

25. J.A.W.

Mosaic sets sometimes turn up on European Amazon sites and eBay, at rather high prices. Your best bet would be Jazz Messengers.

A.B. likes this.