Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Funny, that link came from the email they sent me that didn't mention music or cinema at all, it's pretty obvious, at least from their mail outs that they've fallen back into trying to sell merch just as much as music, perhaps you should subscribe and experience what HMV are marketing for yourself.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Sure most of their emails are about film and music, but there's an awful lot of tat mixed in with it and that's exactly the business model that saw them go bust twice.

Search Results

ggggreenisaac and Man at C&A like this.
  6. shanebrown

They have been selling film and music related posters for forty years. Probably longer.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. shanebrown

Or not. Those little pop vinyl weird things apparently sell like hot cakes. They're appealing to people with disposable income, and those are often people who will buy anything related to the music and films they are fans of. No, they're not for me either, but it's not like they take up much room in the shop.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The problem is they used to take up a lot of room in HMV, along with other non music and film related tat and I worry that they will once again meaning less music, fortunately my local has so far not introduced a homeware section, HMV has enough problems with pricing and not even matching their own online prices, as someone involved in labels which lose money every time they go bust I'm well aware of their importance as a high street outlet/chain for music and film, but if they become a toy shop, poster shop or homeware shop then they are no longer unique or important to the music industry and may as well close down now.

Man at C&A and Pouchkine like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I went in today, saw Blur - Parklife on vinyl for £44.99, then walked out. It's such a depressing place to be at the moment.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wow! Really stretching out there!

Technocentral likes this.
  11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Those Nipper dogs sold out!

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That doesn't surprise me, I can see a market for that. My sister would love it! An HMV tea towel, or a T-shirt to make you look like an early 90s staff member, less so.

I'd have been tempted by a T-shirt with the proper Nipper painting, like on the 50s HMV LP labels.

AlmostHeavenWV and Gavaxeman like this.
  13. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

A couple of things that makes me a little less enthusiastic is Sunrise Records parent company is Everest Toys who manufacturer/distribute in Canada and have just set up shop in the UK under the name DKB Toys. As far as I know the only retail outlets acquired by them are the HMV ones, so the stores potentially could be part of the retail/distribution chain. Another thing is Putman’s buying and planning to buy a lot more bankrupt companies. There’s a lot of risk turning a foreign company around, especially while expending into other ventures, most recently they acquired a Canadian coffee shop chain. HMV could end up a sort of Starbucks/ToysRus/Record Store Frankenstein! Admittedly that’s a bit far fetched though, but couldn’t resist it.

Dubmart and Pouchkine like this.
  14. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Interview with owner Doug Putman on BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme today. The feature starts at 7:12, the interview at 9:55.
    You and Yours - Greece fires, HMV, Swimming pools - BBC Sounds

15. bulletinwbw

bulletinwbw Forum Resident

Haven't read through this entire thread, but it's interesting to me that HMV own Fopp because the latter is SUCH a better experience than the former.

Man at C&A and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  16. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

The Edinburgh shop certainly is.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

I went into Sheffield meadow hall HMV today and got John Coltrane a love supreme vinyl (impulse acoustic sounds pressing) for £44.99 which is actually a very good price. These are pretty much out of stock everywhere so I was very surprised to see it still at the retail price. But the pricing in HMV really is all over the place, they had stuff like nirvana, oasis and blur for £35 which is crazy. I have only ever brought a handful of vinyls from HMV but they used to be pretty consistent with their prices.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. shanebrown

They currently have an offer of 3 for £30 on some 4K blu rays. They are also doing 88 Films blu rays at 2 for £15, whereas they are £9.99 each on Amazon.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hope we start seeing deals on music like they do with films. 2 vinyl albums for £40 isn't exactly enticing and they haven't had a decent CD offer for a long time now.

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  20. shanebrown

It is odd that there are more good offers on blu rays than on CDs. Even more odd that most of the reduced prices on CDs aren't actually marked in the shops. You just find out when you get to the till.

sacdfan and Man at C&A like this.
  21. VinylSwan

VinylSwan Waiting To Be Redeemed

I am so surprised it's still a brick and mortar store. The prices are so over the top it's ridiculous. I miss the mid 80's and 90's Virgin Megastore & HMV's.. Used to be some wonderful offers.

ggggreenisaac, Man at C&A and sacdfan like this.
  22. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

LivingForever and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe they will stretch to the self titled album and Mirage.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I find HMV’s pricing absolutely fine for both new releases and back catalogue on CD. My local branch in Leith has a good CD section, as does their Fopp brand in central Edinburgh.

If I only want one album, say a new release, much cheaper than Amazon when you factor in postage.

Stay away from gimmicky vinyl and HMV is just fine.

shanebrown likes this.