SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It’s on back order with many outlets…even Mike from In Groove said it’s not out of print.

2. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

But what does in print mean in this case. They gonna release a batch every once in a while. Recordstores don't know how many they will get, if they get any at all.

3. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Wouldn't that be cool if people actually posted links? Just a thought...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

It's all back order. There isn't one store who has this in stock. There were 25 backorders at a store i called. If they are lucky they might get a couple of pieces.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

This was out in the wild for years — if they are repressing it, get yourself on the back order list on acoustic sounds and music direct and get praying.

6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

As European bit expensive. Might rob Pallas in Diepholz. So they press it there, ship it to the US and ship it back to my place.

7. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

8. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

In the original post Steve mentioned how dry the master tapes were. Is this new, dry mastering available on cd or digitally (hi res?).
    I'm sorry if it's mentioned somewhere in this thread. I just don't have the time to read the 100 plus pages.
    Thanks

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not a new mastering (it was done by our host 15 years ago - see post #1) and, no, it has never been available on digital.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Guys, the 33 is pretty much the same as the 45…I am really ocd about my sound and I have both pressings and can’t tell a single bit of difference. Nada. I for one really think this whole 45rpm thing is way overblown and just a marketing gimmick. And at 45rpm it really disrupts the flow of the Rumors album in particular. Ken Scott and the band put a tremendous amount of effort into sequencing that album and it’s kind of a ridiculous listen if you are used to the 33rpm sequencing. If you can’t locate the 45, and even if you can, just get the 33! I never, ever play my 45 and should probably sell it here. Or, get both and have your own shootout. That will likely put the 45 vs 33 issue to bed for you. It’s one of the only albums you can get where both were mastered by the same person, our host, and pressed at the same plant, so you can really do a meaningful comparison. I never buy 45 now if there is also a 33 audiophile pressing as well. Make sure in any case you get the correct pressing mastered by Steve and pressed at Pallas, NOT the other one that I believe is from the UK. It will have a gold sticker.

11. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

This is interesting.

12. WhatDoIKnow

It is, thank you @Jrr!
    Now, could this be it?
    https://www.amazon.com/Rumours-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B004OKFISQ
    Not sure, it's just what Google throws up when I do a search for the specific cat. number (517786-1).
    Buying from amazon located in another country is risky because their return policy in that case is not the best (they cover some charges but not all) and in Italy at least the ASIN they assigned to that version of the record doesn't return any hit.

13. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

You need the US version. There is also a EU 33rpm version released in the same year but that one sucks.

Jrr, garrincha and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

Yeah, that's the problem - first world problem, of course, but a head scratcher nonetheless ;)

RemyM likes this.
  15. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

the recent repress, which isn't the 'Made in USA' version - which appears to be the one everyone is pining for - is exactly the same as the US version, just made in the EU. everything else is the same. I managed to pick up one a little while back for around $21 euro - and I'm sure there are more of these floating around in the wild, at not too ridiculous prices

sounds bloody good n all!

16. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Can you be more specific? Which recent repress. I think, as i read here, the best versions are the one by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. Which is the 2011 US 33rpm or the AP 45rpm.

I read people are enthusiastic about this one:
    Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (2020, Vinyl)

You probably mean that one.

Jrr likes this.
  17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

no man - that one is optimal. the version I am on about is this -

Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (2011, Vinyl)

again, not made in the US (made in Germany) but Pallas, KG and SH in the deadwax. so, exactly the same as 2011 USA 33

Ere likes this.
  18. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Yeah, but no one has this in stock, you can buy on Discogs for 50 euro's, plus maybe some tax. There is a Dutch guy selling this for 70 euro's + shipping. It's a US release so hard to get in EU.

19. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

ah right, bummer. just had a look at that one you're referring to. new seller, so could be risky. I'd say 70 euro is too high - but if you can find one around the 50 mark, I'd go for it!

RemyM likes this.
  20. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Yeah, going to wait and see if my local record store get some of the 45rpm in. Otherwise i might go for it, though my 70's pressing also sound great. Just curious how much better these are.

garrincha likes this.
  21. I would advise posters to shootout for themselves. You post this all around the forum, which is great, that’s your opinion and it’s good information for people to have. But you also state it like it’s fact despite several other users who feel very differently.

I hear a significant difference in the 45 vs the 33. I have even done a blind A/B with a musician friend of mine who has great ears, but is no audiophile. He very quickly identified the 45 as “better” and described the sound in all the ways that I have on the forum, without ever having discussed it between the two of us. I have both as well, and feel the opposite as you. I never play the 33 anymore. It’s either the 45, or my OG if I want a different experience or just no flipping. And the OG sounds damn good too.

We all hear things differently and that’s OK. Or maybe we can chalk it up to system differences. So the best advise for anyone here is to track down a 45 rpm copy and shootout for yourself. If it’s too expensive, the 33 will get you most of the way there. That’s my experience (my equipment, ears, opinion, etc)

bluesfan, AnalogJ, musictoad and 3 others like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Be very careful. Someone wrote a review and mentioned Pallas but that doesn’t mean the copy the review was written on is the Pallas. As the other op up thread said, the other one isn’t even close to Steve’s. You must see the gold sticker on the front cover to be absolutely sure, so I probably wouldn’t take a chance with Amazon. Did you try Elusive or Music Direct? I haven’t looked at the other posts here yet but I bet one of the nice folks here have already posted a link where you can get one. And they come up for sale here pretty regular and people are really good about telling buyers which copy they have. It’s well worth the search. It’s also been repeatedly repressed so don’t pay crazy money. Also check eBay…you never know. But on the bay, make darn sure there is a picture of the actual album with the gold hype sticker. Plenty of people here ended up with the wrong one which is why I keep harping on that point.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s the one…but ONLY if it has that sticker….that’s key guys. No sticker…no buy. Ask anyone who took a chance and lost:winkgrin: No “but what ifs”….just make sure it has that sticker.

RemyM likes this.
  24. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

This is good to know. Though I've never heard the 45, I got my 33 recently from Diverse Vinyl in Wales after a 9 month wait but boy it is 'stunning'.

Rob6899 likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Indeed it’s in the deadwax, but it’s hard to see that when buying on line and the darn thing is sealed…lol. Gotta have the golden ticket….that decal! Hopefully I’ve made my point! Sorry, but it’s hilarious how many people try and tell folks this and then they but it without, or ask if another one might be the right one. Nope. No shortcuts here.

I just love this album, and agree with Steve it’s hard to get tired of it. And this exact pressing sounds simply amazing. Because of that I’m always driven back to this long thread and you see new interest and new people about to make the same mistake! Hope this helps. Plenty of people have helped me around here….just don’t want you stuck with the wrong one…it’s easy to do.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.