DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by three_paws, Jul 11, 2021.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Hmm...the Schiit guys in their FAQ compare the Bifrost 2 to the Yggy, even claiming (if I'm not mistaken) that it does some things better. They completely bypass comparing Bifrost 2 and Gumby altogether.

2. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

100% agreed!! Which is also why, literally, every single piece of audiophile gear I own was purchased pre-loved at less than 50% of original price ;-)

KL-lite and three_paws like this.
  3. three_paws

three_paws deleted account Thread Starter

I run my built in Yamaha 801 DAC through a PM 8006 in the office. It's super neutral, super linear, a bit anemic, but musical and pretty refined. The Marantz and Dentons warm it up pretty well. But I def prefer the DACMagic 100--beefier, more corporeal, and more dynamic. Dunno what the DAC in your receiver sounds like, but if it's anything like the native 801 DAC, I think you'll probably see a marked difference with the 100.

KL-lite likes this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You probably don't want to spend the money, but you could easily exceed the sound quality of your LP playback with a better digital playback chain

5. three_paws

Not at all the question I was asking. I am 100% happy with my vinyl setup. It's exactly the sound I want. Would love to get it from digital, too.

Honestly, I don't understand these kind of comments. It's like I asked folks what they like on their burger only to be told that I should eat pizza instead. Not helpful.

RockAddict, Henry J, timind and 2 others like this.
  6. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Yup, vinyl does what it does (and very well at that); digital is a different source. We shouldn't ask one to be the other, nor should we assume that one is better than another.

Horses for courses, my friends :nauga:

The Killer Piglet and three_paws like this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

What's not to understand? you want the "kind of sound" you get from LP's; I'm simply saying it would be easy to get better sound than that.

Playing at a bit higher level than most of this discussion, I will simply point out a piece of my experience.
    I have a fairly good semi-pro R2R (stock Tascam BR-20) and a bunch of 15 ips 2-track tapes from The Tape Project and Acoustic Sounds. Where I have good-sounding (i.e., not mastered in the current style) hi-res files of the same albums (only a handful) there is little difference in the sound; I'm fairly confident few if any here could tell the difference in a blind test. So as far as I am concerned, analog and digital at a fairly high quality level have little to distinguish them (although as I improve my R2R components I expect that to change). Now for most here LP playback has a bunch of sonic artifacts compared to the master reels used to cut those LP's, and if you like those artifacts it will be hard for digital (at any price) to reproduce them.

saturdayboy likes this.
  8. three_paws

What's "better sound"? Like I said, I'm 100% happy with the sound I'm getting. I'm not trying to change the sound. I'm not even trying to switch from analog to digital. All I was asking was for digital sources that come close to the analog experience I like.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You don't list your system, but the 2 parts of it that you do mention would typically be considered "entry-level". If the rest of the system is of similar quality...

saturdayboy likes this.
  10. three_paws

My vinyl setup is a 1200mkii, rega p3, and rega p2, with an amethyst, Olympia, ortofon blue and some other carts run through project phono preamps (DS2 and DS) into the Yamaha 1200 and out into the world via Lintons. I've had more expensive this and that, and this is where I landed. Maybe it's not your ideal system, but it's my favorite setup. I want to listen to it all the time. My question wasn't "what system would you build if your were me," but that seems to be the question you're answering.

11. KL-lite

KL-lite Well-Known Member

You also mention a Project dac in your OP. Is it this model?
    DAC Box S2 + – Pro-Ject Audio Systems
    Could you describe the sound signature differences vs DacMagic 100?
    Coincidentally I was also considering this Project dac but it’s about 54% more expensive than DM.

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Schiit can be a little coy or flippant when comparing/contrasting their gear. The new Bifrost 2 does get closer to the sound quality of the Gungnir than the previous version of the Bifrost Multibit did. There have been reviews that compared the new Bifrost 2 against the current Gungnir. And the Gungnir is still the better DAC. But at almost twice the price. Is the Gungnir worth the $600 more for that marginal improvement? Some will say yes, some will say no. Others will suggest skipping over the Gungnir and going straight to Yggdrasil. It all depends on your budget, your system, and willingness to pay more for marginal improvements.

I got the Bifrost 2 for two reasons. First is size. It's small enough that I can stack it with a Cavalli Liquid Gold X or Cavalli Liquid Platinum and not use up all the space on an end table. Second is because I do need another DAC. Right now I have five headphone amps in my audio rack. An additional DAC means I can have more of them wired up ready to play without swapping cables. My other DAC is the original version of the Gungnir Multibit. My gear and preferences already pair will with the Gungnir so the Bifrost 2 as an additional DAC is a no-brainer. It will maintain synergy.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Here's me visiting Bottlehead HQ on Bainbridge Island, Washington about to put on some AKG K1000 headphones and listen. With a Tape Project tape spinning and a custom 845 tube amp that Bottlehead calls Neothoriator. R2R tape is very nice. R2R DACs are pretty nice too. Heroic tube amps are also very nice.

[​IMG]

jfeldt, Kyhl, sharedon and 2 others like this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'm still champing at the bit wondering what they'll do to/if they upgrade the Gumby to differentiate it from BiFrost 2. I keep wanting to pull the trigger on the BF2, but I worry if I do they'll announce an upgraded Gumby with DSD playback or something.

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just like to chip in I had an issue with my iFi Black label Nano DAC. I contacted iFi and got a return label sent to me. Within a week I had my Nano back and functioning perfectly. I think they replaced the entire innards (they just slide in and out).

Very happy as it was out of warranty too!

Got a Earmen Eagle DAC turning up today to upgrade the other half desktop audio setup. She has a 2004 spec Creative Labs soundcard currently. Will run a 6ft shielded USB extension from the PC to the DAC and then run a 10" Vandamme silver-plated OFC cable from the DAC to the powered speakers.

EarMen Eagle Review - Audio Glorye Review - Latest Review

timind likes this.
  16. three_paws

Mine is the Project Pre Box S2 Digital. It's refined and detailed but totally unrealistic sounding, especially on top. Cymbals sound like a video game not the real thing. I love Project phono preamps, but the DAC was a disappointment.

KL-lite likes this.
  17. three_paws

Has anyone does an Ares II/Bifrost 2 AB comparison, by any chance? Curious which one is warmer. I've read the Bifrost 2 is supposed to be warm; curious how it compares to the Ares II in that respect.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

More expensive isn't necessarily better, but if you are interested in much better sound at less than "break the bank" prices (which still may be out of your comfort zone) a combination of one of the amp/speakers combos possible from the below links would do it (all made in USA, if that matters).

https://www.daedalusaudio.com/athena-speaker
    https://www.daedalusaudio.com/muse-speaker
    https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-200-tube-integrated
    PrimaLuna Evo 300 Tube Integrated — PrimaLuna USA

fcdvpds likes this.
  19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Erm just got the Earmen Eagle...wow this thing has OUTPUT and punch!

Nicely made, tiny and good value!

enfield and three_paws like this.
  20. three_paws

My question was about DACs, not amps. I'm really not sure why you are insisting on giving me advice I literally said I'm not looking for. But since you are--I considered PL stuff when I was trying to get the Cornwalls IV to lose their shout and decided against it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    timind likes this.
  21. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

If it's a tube dac it can keep your house warm. It doesn't mean you will get warmer sound though.

Mr Muse and three_paws like this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I understand that, but you seem to reject suggestions involving anything above entry level quality components. Perhaps if you had titled the thread "Advice on entry-level DACs" or "Looking for an under $1k DAC that will give me sound like my vinyl" we (I) wouldn't wander so far afield ;):winkgrin:

23. three_paws

You are recommending amps. I am asking about DACs. If you stayed on topic you wouldn't wander so far afield.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  24. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Definitely a "vinyl dominant" household but we stream a lot and play CDs too, so a good DAC could be in order. Great thread, I'm learning a lot

three_paws likes this.
  25. ChristopherFletcher

ChristopherFletcher Forum Resident

Anyone know if the DAC in the Yamaha 701 is the same as the 801?