Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. My guess is to rope in the malapropism wizard Ringo into a tale involving the movie or that era. (“Ringo is given credit for the tile of AHDN).
    ( bet you already know that one! ;)

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

News to me! Next you'll be telling me John knew the movement Paul needed was on his shoulder all along!

3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Surprised Paul hasn’t posted a tribute to Don Everly. Unless I missed it.A huge influence on the Beatles and he did work with him. He’s usually good at paying respect to celebrities when they pass (like just today with Charlie) and he’s posted tributes to people he’s had way less of a connection with in the past. The cynic in me thinks maybe Don Everly isn’t high profile enough, but the optimist part of me chooses to believe he’s just working on the right thing to say.

BeSteVenn and mrjinks like this.
  4. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

The beauty is that I guess one can always create an individual playlist to read.
    A chronological approach sure is a very valid one. He may have chosen not to go that path to avoid exactly that, being held responsible for the autobiography approach. There will be chronological gaps, which is the nature of this approach.
    Songs can be shuffelt. He shuffels songs and memories. Yet another valid approch.
    That is why I do not waste much thought to the exact running order. His approach tells me: just like songs can come in a randomized running order, memories seldom come in chronological order.
    So let us take advantage of that and create our own play/reading lists.

I am hoping it to be the deep dive into his creativity we have always been hoping to hear from interviews and did not get. I am really excited.

5. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Paul took his time before making public comments when Astrid died and when Little Richard died. When this happens, I like to think that Paul the human being comes before Paul the celebrity. He is a known letter writer and I suspect Paul wrote his condolences to Don Everly's next of kin, and is allowing that message to get through before he makes a comment to us. As if we're entitled to share in his every grief and vulnerability.

6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Good post. I'm always wary of pinning my expectations of artists' reactions on social media. Just because Paul hasn't tweeted or posted, doesn't mean he hasn't texted, or phoned, or indeed, video called (or written a letter). Yes, a social media message is a polite gesture that takes hardly a minute, but tweeting or not tweeting shouldn't be the thing by which we measure an artist's care factor, especially older generation artists who don't live their lives by social media like the young ones do.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Is this a parody post?
    ‘I like to think’ ‘I suspect’…..odd, even for here..

8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Phrases like "I think" or "I suspect" connote that I have no inside knowledge.
    Would you have preferred if I had written; imo, or imho?

9. hEARt PhoniX

I do not understand it either. Or is it a slightly humerous acknowledgement? A provocation? I do not know.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If you're going by their newly-created Spotify playlist, it's... neither? No "Simple As That" here.
    THE LYRICS: 1956 to the Present

(Of course, since the demo is on Spotify, this is probably an indication that it's the finished 1986 song.)

jmxw likes this.
  11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Happy Birthday Mary!

[​IMG]

Mkirk, omikron, Who Cares and 7 others like this.
  12. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

You'll be demanding he gets a tattoo next. Not every thought has to be publicised.

dralan likes this.
  13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Oh god, give me a break. I was just wondering why no tribute from Paul to one of his musical heroes (still none as of this writing a week later) when he is always very good at paying tribute to departed friends and inspiration’s in the past (like Little Richard last year and Charlie Watts this week)
    I just found it odd based on his history of doing similar things. I’m not crucifying him for not doing it , and especially in light of some of the more obsessive fans that want to know every single detail of his life, some of whom are probably on these forums, it seemed like a reasonable enough thought to ponder. But I realize just the slightest whiff of anything that can be construed as criticism of Macca round here is bound to be taken the wrong way, but whatever.

Rocco and mrjinks like this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

15. Thanks for posting!

I Like the Paul and Hulu series comments - BUT - the author’ s unnecessary slams on John Lennon are out of left field and fall into the endless, mindless and cheap,
    false Paul VS. John storyline.

(Consider a publication’s philosophy when reading anything, in this case, I’ll refrain from political comments, but I’ll just say that Lennon’s political opponents in USA - haven’t let go of their vehemence against John - even these many years after his death. )

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Rob Hughes and mrjinks like this.
  16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The author's description of the dichotomy between Lennon's and McCartney's views on what being an entertainer should entail are accurate. If that reflects negatively on Lennon, it's not the author's fault for pointing it out.

If this were a politically motivated piece, McCartney has certainly given them more political opinions to oppose over the last 40 years than Lennon has. I don't even know that the author was born while Lennon was even alive let alone when he was overtly political.

17. hEARt PhoniX

I agree, both are very different and distinctive approaches to creation. Both have their pros and cons and traps, but both I think reflect upon an artist's personality.
    In short and in details inaccurate, I'd say that Lennon as the more impatient person drew more from what he felt and thought right now, exploring and creating with comparably little filter. That fit his personality, we all know he could talk some serious spontanious nonsense, on the other hand he was I think trying to live according to his own understanding of being honest.
    McCartney I believe is thinking much more strategically and certainly has got a lot more patience to work on his songs. His spontaniety shows in a different way, he as a person is while more friendly and diplomatic, he is way more guarded. And this also shows in his music. He adds a lot more details and between the notes.

I am growing more and more impatient with these inaccurate and misleading generalisations. Can you compare Picasso and Matisse? Both have created great art, but with a very different approach. Is one or the other more "real", does anybody even ask that? No, both are themselves.
    I just wonder why people still cannot accept that The Beatles were four very different people who created great art when they colaborated and when they worked individually. Ok, I retract that partially, as calling Ringo's albums and tours art may be hyperbole. But I think it gets the point across.
    McCartney sure was the greatest show person of the lot, disciplined beyond belief. Could you imagine any one of the others going on stage after a day in court and playing the Roundhouse, London. McCartney did on October 25 2007. I have not found confirmation, but I remember being puzzled at the time, and watching the footage from that concert at the time I felt he was a little tensed. But he pulled through and who did not know may not have noticed. I cannot imagine similar behaviour from Lennon. Not his way. He would have at least cursed a bit on stage.

18. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Hmm...I wouldn't describe the author as slamming John. I thought it was a reasonably balanced effort 'John's brand' 'Paul's mask of optimism'. Two sides of the same coin. I guess you could argue the intro was a bit defensive, going straight into a comparison of the deaths of their mothers. That wasn't entirely necessary or relevant, really. However, in my view the writer didn't say anything that wasn't true. The effect of Mary's death on Paul does get diminished by fans and press alike, but I also think that's because Paul chooses not to talk about the effect. He chooses not to talk about personal things. So people fill in the blanks for themselves, sometimes wrongly. But like you, I loathe the whole John v Paul. I'll never understand why some Beatles fans push that.

19. You’ve proven my point - at least to me.
    You point out the author probably wasn’t alive when John was - hence he has no concept of the context of which times and circumstances John was operating.

You correctly point outPaul has had more opinions over the last 40 years the author potentially might oppose - which highlights the author either overlooked them to bend the story his way - or did no research.

You say Lennon’s view on what being an entertainer should entail reflects negativity on John. Your opinion, Valid. But I like variety in entertainers and naked honesty is most certainly effective and fits well on different people. Praising Paul for his approach is understandable - I love that, too.
    I just object to those who espouse an attitude of: “Just shut up and sing. “

Weak article, praise Paul - yes! Time, place to diss on Lennon - I say no.

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

My point was that the article was in no way political. Like, at all. It was a pretty astute observation about how McCartney's pain is discounted because he didn't want his career to be about that and how that contrasted with his partner's approach.

Yet you keep getting political about it. Not cool.

foxylady, kevintee and MPLRecords like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I agree.

And especially since it is so much better to argue George versus Ringo instead --- and why George got to sleep with Maureen, but Ringo didn't get to sleep with Pattie. ... ;)

22. Artistic approaches are freedom of expression. I support that.
    If you or others think that is political - then nothing I write is going to convince you.

John was cool. Paul is cool. Different approaches to music and the arts is cool.

23. Ringo VS. Pete Best. Battle of the drummers. ;)

24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Lee "Scratch" Perry wrote a letter to Japan's minister of justice when McCartney was in jail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Different type of artists-John was a true heart, brains and guts on my sleeve artist. His artistic approach was to bare his,soil. That’s just who he was and he got tired of the artifice; Paul Never did. That’s just not who he is; he’s always been a guarded person.

Paperback Writer likes this.